PPL to RPL

Hi all

I have searched the forum and whilst I've found a fair few posts on a RPL to PPL I can't find much info on PPL to RPL conversion.

I understand the aircraft handling and procedures will be quite different but would you consider this conversion to be difficult?

From what I understand if I hold both licenses I can fly a VH registered or if I choose RAA registered aircraft from Jandakot (Ive seen one or two leave when I'm down there) do my flight and return at a lower cost (obviously only one pax etc) so it's quite attractive to me.

So looking for opinions and maybe some advice on who I should maybe approach to get this underway.

Cheers

Mike

You mean RPC which is a recreational pilots certificate issued by RAAus.

I believe it's a minimum 5 hours training on our low momentum aircraft (for you with your PPL).

Yes you need an RAAus RPC to fly RAAus registered aircraft.

An RPL is what used to be your GPFT but with more privileges. Your PPL is already there.

• Agree 1

Thanks Fishla

Yes thanks sorry hard to get the license term out of my head.

That seems very fair and reasonable. I'll start to get some research done into a school so I can get something underway.

Cheers

I believe you will have to do RAA Human Factors exam - god knows how we used to fly for so many years before that without it. Both in GA and Ultralight.

I think it should be completely scrapped to a simple - Do you have common sense!!

• Like 1

I have never understood the stupidity of the PPL and RPC (if I have the terms correct). Lets take a Corby Starlet, I only have a PPL, if it has VH- painted on it I can fly it, if it has numbers only I cannot ...mmmmm. Do numbers make it hard to fly? If low wing loadings are so difficult to fly (and some are) why not make a single licence and rating for minimum stall speed? Why have a medical for PPL that costs around $300/2 years when an RPC needs only a drivers licence? Why will it take me 5 hours of flying to fly an aircraft similar to a C152, the aircraft I learned to fly on? Before flying one these days I would get a few circuits with an instructor, I have been only flying high landing speed aircraft for the last 10 years.

I have a PPL and also RAaus licence. That allows me to fly my Corby Starlet RAAus and RV4 GA Rego. I don't have an RPL and fly GA using an RAMPC (Recreational aviation madical practicioners certificate)

That allows me to fly day VFR, one passenger, non aerobatic. All I need to do to lift the RAMPC restrictions is get a medical.

The stupid part is that if I changed the Corby over to GA rego I would not need to have any dealings at all with RAAus.

Please help me! I do not understand the licencing system for other than GA. Can anyone assist me in a quick description of the "Licence" and its privileges? I have Night VMC and hope to do aerobatics in the not so distant future, how do I get an RAMPC?

Geoff would a RAMPC still allow you those privileges? I'm new to the RPL/RAMPC concept but wouldn't it be worth just skipping the RAMPC and get a class 2 (if you can I suppose....maybe this is why you ask)

But then again you say night VMC so you have the class 2...the way I see it you exceed the RAMPC so don't need it...wow I'm confusing myself now!

So confusing...even the par 5 to part 61 ppl conversion seems silly....another lot of paperwork to send me a new copy of my PPL license printed slightly different!

IF you have a PPL why change to RPC? The RAAus CERTIFICATE, enables you to fly planes that operate under RAAus rules which are concessional and have some considerable restrictions for that reason. It's not just the aircraft type, some of which can have VH or a number on them, at some stage. I think you can do the "change" in less than 5 hours. It's supposed to be skills related. Tailwheel might be worth practicing in even If you have DC3 time, or do a 2 stroke endorsement. ( If you can arrange it) . Nev

For me personally it comes down to club atmosphere/the social aspect and cost. I'd prefer to do more flying in RAA registered if I'm just flying by myself than hire a 4 seater cessna and have the associated extra cost when I don't need it. But at the same time I still want the ability to do a cross country with a few mates or family in VH aircraft.

I agree about the personal /club atmosphere thing , though it may fall apart due personalities sometimes . Doing it all on your own is a bit soul destroying. Doing work on your plane is a good thing. If you are careful and approach it in the right way it's safer than any other.

You can easily qualify to fly the RAAus types. The price of membership might deter you, but there is a bit of insurance cover that offsets it somewhat. RAAus instructors must have the class 2 medical status and it's the only one you can do if you can't straight tick all boxes for the RPC. Just about all VH experience transfers straight over to RAAus. You can fly just about everything on a PPL and have a PIFR, which is more safe than a NVMC. as a concept. Nev

RAMPC will not let you do night VFR nor aerobatics and you are restricted to 1 passenger and I think 1500kg MAUW.

To get it download form 166A, Band C from CASA web site. They are self explanatory. Fill in as appropriate, see your Dr. get him to fill in as required, then send it all off to CASA electronicly and it should be approved in about two or three weeks.

If you have no problems with getting a class 2 medical, that would cost about half as much again as an RAMPC. The reason I use it is because to get a medical at 80 years of age I would have to do an ECG and no doubt a lot of other things to get a class 2 and that would put the cost up.

• Like 1

Geoff would a RAMPC still allow you those privileges? I'm new to the RPL/RAMPC concept but wouldn't it be worth just skipping the RAMPC and get a class 2 (if you can I suppose....maybe this is why you ask)But then again you say night VMC so you have the class 2...the way I see it you exceed the RAMPC so don't need it...wow I'm confusing myself now!

So confusing...even the par 5 to part 61 ppl conversion seems silly....another lot of paperwork to send me a new copy of my PPL license printed slightly different!

Yes I have just past my medical, well maybe, DAME renewed for 2 months, calcium score so high i need a cardiogram. My cardiologist says I may need yearly medicals. At $300+ cardiologist fee I am reassessing what my flying should look like. Is NVMC worth it to me? I want to do aerobatic flying one day, but if I do eventually get to is probable at the moment. I am trying to assess what I do. I have not flown at night for 18 months.

You normally end up like that if there have been any issues. Class 2 you can deal with these. RAMPC its tick ALL the boxes or no deal. That's the difference when you are not dealing with avmed. where you CAN review and it goes on all the time though there can be some delays I think things are improving there. They would need to from what they were ten years ago (as an example). I hope they review the RPC .They stuffed that up for most people and it encourages people to not report issues which is against the safety concept, and their own well being health wise. The issue is alive in the "States" at the moment. Australia is lagging what most countries are dealing with. It's easy to just say NO. Nev

Yeah Facthunter I agree re the social aspect...it's not always easy and different personalities don't always gel...it's just figure I'm surely not the only mid 30s guy with a wife and kids that loves flying and doing stuff with my family and have a desire to maybe in some way combine these.

My oldest daughter likes hanging out at the Aeroclub with a coloring book and watching the planes with Dad but I'd like it to be more and the attraction of the White Gum Valley farm and camping looks like a good way to do that, if there can be some fellow family oriented pilots/budding pilots out there with kids.

I'm certainly keen to also maximise my time in the air so RAA is still on my list of must do's

Well for what its worth I transferred from PPL GA to WM (Weightshift Microlight) RPC or RPL or whatever it is with HGFA and I'm even more confused and dumbfounded these days by the whole Licence/Certificate thing but even more so the whole allowed/not allowed crossover between RaAus and HGFA both of which fly WM ?

Example is, it appears that an I can complete my BFR with and RaAus Instructor and submit it to HGFA but I cant have said RaAus member complete my Biannual Maintenance Inspection, that MUST be completed by an HGFA Rotax Approved Person, which I am, but I cant do my own as it needs to be someone independent ?? WTF :-)

Turf wars and Empire builders are plentiful as well as loyalties to a group or brand. Difficult to change. BUT as they say IF we don't hang together we will surely hang separately. Nev

Turf wars and Empire builders are plentiful as well as loyalties to a group or brand. Difficult to change. BUT as they say IF we don't hang together we will surely hang separately. Nev

LOL. yes, so so true. I am very much a black and white analytical type of person so the whole RaAus/HGFA thing does my head in when it comes to WM.... anyway, I'm learning to let it flow over me, woooooshaaaaaa, woooosshaaaaa. :-)

• Like 1

Yeah Facthunter I agree re the social aspect...it's not always easy and different personalities don't always gel...it's just figure I'm surely not the only mid 30s guy with a wife and kids that loves flying and doing stuff with my family and have a desire to maybe in some way combine these.My oldest daughter likes hanging out at the Aeroclub with a coloring book and watching the planes with Dad but I'd like it to be more and the attraction of the White Gum Valley farm and camping looks like a good way to do that, if there can be some fellow family oriented pilots/budding pilots out there with kids.

I'm certainly keen to also maximise my time in the air so RAA is still on my list of must do's

I'd recommend flying at Bindoon (SLAC / Topfun Aviation), after 10 years flying at Bunbury/Jandakot I've thoroughly enjoyed flying at Bindoon. I'd recommend Topfun as well, the instructors aren't so commercially focussed and are more focussed on the fun of flying.

I'm in the same boat as you, combining young family and flying, but I also share my time with some serious RC flying as well.

I'd recommend flying at Bindoon (SLAC / Topfun Aviation), after 10 years flying at Bunbury/Jandakot I've thoroughly enjoyed flying at Bindoon. I'd recommend Topfun as well, the instructors aren't so commercially focussed and are more focussed on the fun of flying.I'm in the same boat as you, combining young family and flying, but I also share my time with some serious RC flying as well.

Thanks Ultra

I have heard a bit about Bindoon certainly on my radar so to speak to visit.

I tried RC for a bit to try and get some of the itch to fly under control but I made too man holes in the ground!

Mike