Mode S transponders

vk4tec

Still unclear, as I assume other members on this post, on how this was achieved or set. How it is corrected and how to check it.

SSCBD,

A mode S transponder broadcasts information when interrogated by ATC radar. This information include the altitude, the flight ID and a unique HEX code. The last two of these for most small aircraft do not change from flight to flight and can be programed into the unit. It needs to be done when installing the unit fo the first time or when moving a unit from one aircraft to another.

Details from RAAus on how to get the HEX code for your aircraft.

https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/1-standard-letter-modes-xpdr-programming-2015-2.pdf

Trig install manual, refer to section 6.1.2 for details. Other manufacturers will have similar information

http://www.trig-avionics.com/library/TT2x-00560-00-AM.pdf

• Informative 1

Some time ago I happened to be looking at Flt Radar24 & saw a customers RV10 flying off the Vic coast. During a later phone call to him I mentioned the 'sighting', he was perplexed as he was not flying that time or anywhere near the location.

Then, more recently, the same situation happened but this time I did some follow up & discovered that the Hex code did belong to the RV10 but the rego displayed was different despite the Flt Rdr24 aircraft icon showing an RV10.

Next step was to look at the rego (CASA Register) & discovered the rego belonged to a Eurocopter. A call to the operator resulted in their avionics people fixing the problem - I did point out that it was in their interest to 'fix' the issue as they would not want to get invoices from Avdata or Airservices for flight ops to/from/in places that they or the other guy didn't go.

Moral of the story - double check any data (Hex Code or Rego) entered into a transponder or EFIS. Casa used to issue a 24 bit Binary code (which needs to be converted to a Hexadecimal code for most transponders) & therefore can result in mistakes during the conversion, more recently I think CASA has also been adding the HEX code to the initial rego paperwork to reduce the chance of mistakes happening.

The main point is although you may do the entering of the code any mistakes should be corrected by the people doing your transponder check, that check applies at first installation & every 2 years after that. Please do that check, your back pocket will thank you for it. 100 penalty points is the price for non compliance (each point is about $75?), you do the maths.

NO, I do not do Transponder (not qualified & don't have the 30K test box) checks so am not trying to drum up business - just trying to make a point & hopefully save your bank balance.

Nead more explanation than that ?

• Informative 1

Mode S is not mandatory for VFR aircraft, although all new aircraft with a transponder must have mode S. Any change in transponder also requires fitment of a mode S transponder. Once you have a transponder you are required by law to have it on. So, if you don't fly IFR and don't want every man and his dog to know your every move (via flightradar24 and similar apps), don't have a mode S transponder.

Geez, why do some try & confuse the issue -

1. YES Mode S is required for all aircraft, VFR or IFR, that have/need (can depend on airspace type) a transponder if--

a, it is new or new to the register, including imported aircraft as of 14th Feb 2014

b, an existing mode C transponder is replaced after the above date

c, or fitment of a transponder - also after the above date.

"So, if you don't fly IFR and don't want every man and his dog to know your every move" - what have you got to hide ? with all the terchnology out there via apps & credit info 'they' probably know more about you than you do. Get over it.

Me, I let technology help me & hope that it may help other aircraft see me if I don't see them.

• Like 1

Happy for you. I like a bit of privacy without big brother seeing my every move. To each his own.

I'm quite happy to have "Big Brother" watching me. Big Brother has called me up on the radio several times to alert me to converging or conflicting traffic that I wasn't aware of and in doing so, probably avoided me having a real bad day. In the area that I fly, there is a LOT of training type traffic and a LOT of scenery to visit which a LOT of planes do visit. I like having the extra pair of eyes watching out for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

SSCBD,A mode S transponder broadcasts information when interrogated by ATC radar. This information include the altitude, the flight ID and a unique HEX code. The last two of these for most small aircraft do not change from flight to flight and can be programed into the unit. It needs to be done when installing the unit fo the first time or when moving a unit from one aircraft to another.

Details from RAAus on how to get the HEX code for your aircraft.

https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/1-standard-letter-modes-xpdr-programming-2015-2.pdf

Trig install manual, refer to section 6.1.2 for details. Other manufacturers will have similar information

http://www.trig-avionics.com/library/TT2x-00560-00-AM.pdf

Thank you Nobody I understand that,

So that everyone understands that are not aware, with most RAA non owning aircraft people, is that it was "Eurocopters finger problems" that put in the wrong code. That members flying RAA as you said "when installing the unit fo the first time" is correct and don't have to touch the coding.

SSCBD,

Not sure of this comment of yours -

"That members flying RAA as you said "when installing the unit fo the first time" is correct and don't have to touch the coding."

Mode S transponders won't work as planned unless the code is entered - therein lies the problem, anyone can make mistakes doing it so we need to be careful 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Happy for you. I like a bit of privacy without big brother seeing my every move. To each his own.

The rules are the way they are for general aviation safety.

ATC couldn't care less who you are or why you're there when you're VFR. They have far, far better things to do with their time behind the radar screen. But they will start caring if you're about to fly into an army live firing range, or cause a major traffic conflict, or fly into a busy airport flight path, or issue a distress call because you have a problem. Also other aircraft with TCAS can get traffic advisories from it and it enhances the situational awareness of these pilots and crews.

This is why we operate with our transponders on. To help others, and to allow others to help us.

• Agree 3

Read my post again mate. Who says I don't follow the rules? There is no requirement to have a transponder in class G. There is not yet a requirement to have a mode S transponder in class G. There are hundreds of aircraft happily and legally operating this way. What I don't like is the publicly available access to information through mode S. If I had mode S, and someone wanted to know when I was out they only have to know the registration number of my aircraft and, set it for an alert on one of the monitoring sites and every time I fly they get to know. You don't have to file a plan, just have a radar scan your mode S transponder and out goes your info. Would you be happy for someone to be able to do that to your car or a family members' car. The information should be de-identified to the public.

Read my post again mate. Who says I don't follow the rules?

I didn't say you don't follow the rules. I was trying to explain why the developing rules on transponders are beneficial, not detrimental.

What I don't like is the publicly available access to information through mode S.

I think you're confusing Mode S with ADSB-out. They're not the same thing, although you need one before you can equip for the other. The flight tracking applications can only pick you up if you have ADSB. Not simply because you have a mode s transponder. Mode s transponders offer other technical benefits to ATC systems.

FWIW - if you buy a Mode S is must be an ES (Extended Squitter version).

There is no requirement, for a long time, for VFR aircraft to have ADSB OUT.

IMO every aspect of this topic has been covered, let's just close it now 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif