Hello pilots and builders

Don J

I'm Don and have a 1985 KR-2 and a newly built Taylor-mono plane. Both planes will fly with the same wing. For those whom are not aware of the fact that both planes have the same airfoil, cord length, Ect. I plan on building in folding tubes with u-joint which will be the starting point on mounting wing on either fuselage. Both planes are vw powered at this time but I have been thinking of trying something new on the KR-2.

I have been following the Bill Broadley engine conversion on a 1600 VW single port for the Taylor-mono it's a vintage set up (1974) but has proved it's air worthiness. Vertex Magneto. The kr-2 had a HAPI 60-2DM but was worn out. It is now waiting for a new power plant.

What no input on the hello's? What you running?

Australians tend to be a bit quieter on that side of things.

You will always get responses to any questions or help required throughout the forum though and don't be shy to join in with an opinion on a current conversation no matter how wrong you are if I don't agree with it.

Drop in a joke in the aviation laughter thread too, always appreciated.

• Agree 1

Nice one Don. I built a Sonex a few years ago and put an Aerovee 2.2 up front - bought as a kit from Sonex as well. It didn't serve me well at all - a lot of folks like them, but I'm don't. I should have gone with a pre-built model like the Great Planes R2300. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Hope yours turn out great.

• Like 1

Thank you all. I have been looking at a 0-200 for my KR. I've read lately that for the price of a completly set up Corvair with 5th bearing, right crank Ect. would be close to the price of a good 0-200 core engine, Maybe even running? I think my Taylor-M is a better fit for a VW but then again there is so many great option's of auto engine's out there to think on but if I scratch my head too much the plane will never get airborn. Here is a couple of pictures I started with in 091194448969_kr24.jpg.e7deaf50f3a92ab6659edeefa013b210.jpg

611670405_kr22.jpg.f92d3a06783931107ee68b07a39842bb.jpg

1685994587_kr21.jpg.5e7975412fbfac8938d7450e685cdc5c.jpg

Several years ago I test flew an early kr2 and the origional short

taylor at the same time. Glass vs fabric.

I could indead feel aerofoils working the same.

It was from a grass field about 1500 ft long.

The kr had no flaps and spring alloy undercart.

The kr needs the tailfeathers enlarged as well as the fuse lengthed.

The taylor fuselages were lenghtened as well on later ones.

I was quite happy flying either. The kr needs the type 4 vw or larger. This means the mods above need done.

No i would not swap for the Jodel.

Folding wings add weight and may kill performance.

If building one I would use the naca 430132 foil. Talk to a Jodel D18 builder.

Hello Diesel. I thought about a change in airfoil but the root of the KR2 has the stock raf48 foil so I'd have to start with a new boat. I have built wet wing's for the kr-2 using Diehl wing skins with just a small 6 gallon header tank. I'm in the process of increasing the span of the horz.stab and slowing the rate of the elevator. A wing folding mech. will only add approx. 4 lb. per side and I believe I can cut that much off the empty weight by removing starter and interior item's. The Taylor-m has been a challenge in the FWF area because of the sloped fire wall it's not like a person can go out and buy a motor mount like you can the kr-2. The fact of the matter is the KR-2 with a VW engine even type 4 is not a good two place plane. If you have 2 souls on board and full fuel the plane is sluggish to say the least. I have yet to finish my Taylor-m but I feel it will be a much better performer and the weight of all wood should help a lot in it's performance. Will see??

I had to txt and ask him??? as i was going on hear say as to exact engine type...

Revmaster 2100TD It is 2074cc VW based, with an old Ray Jay turbo 1980's, it has no wastegate so you have to control boost with throttle, a very good engine and very smooth. 80hp at 36" manifold pressure for take off. I cruise at about 23.5/24" manifold pressure that gives me a genuine 120+ knots IAS.

Engine is for sale if anyone wants a good used Revmaster 2100TD cheap!!

I have flown along side him in my Alpi and he is significantly faster.... yet my alpi comfortably cruises at 120-125 IAS at 1000ft below 5450

• Like 1

I would not own a type 1 2 or 3 VW to fly thats bigger than 1835. You will end up walking.

The scat racing case is a copy of the type 4. The type 4 is best. Strong and aliminium not that other stuff.

All these engines are getting old now.

Corvair was what we put into VW in the 70s. Pietenpols were ok with them but

KRs broke crankshafts..

Subaru engines are heavy.

What to to. Keep being mindfull of c of g.

Chas

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my KR-2 I thought Corvair was the way to go so I ran off and bought the W. Wynne manual and started building up an engine. Mind you this was before the fancy gold stuff and 5th bearing. Then "wow" crank problems and a whole list of things hit the Corvair engine world. To get to the point in the end I came to the conclusion that I could drop another 5-6 grand into the engine and still have two block half's that could not be replaced with new ones. I think Corvair would be fine if a person could get NEW block halves to build on, but as of yet no luck in that area. I scratch my head and look at the Thermo King 4 cyl. Diesel and see it puts out about 60 horse at 2800 RPM and that is without turbo. Just think of the possibilities of that engine if a person can get the weight down enough! Small inline 4 banger that the prop would love because of the RPM.096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

I hope you Get ur done. Will be a good power plant but keep in mind when the crank main bearings go you have to bore them out and after so many times the core is done. That's why we need a foundry.

With regard to post #20, the thermo king blocks are designed by Yanmar Japan.

Same with the John Deer diesel mower engines and a few other small tractor engines.

The marine equivalent to the TK or TN is the 4JH, 1800cc. It's rated to 36Hp continuous in non turbo form but 52Hp at 3600 RPM for one hour in a mild turbo.

The 4JH-HTE has much stronger internals and a much higher boost. We are talking over 100Hp out of 2 Litres at 3200 RPM. Still only for one hour. Continuous rating is more likes 90 HP at 3000 RPM. Book rating says 115 HP max but take this with a grain of salt.

In my opinion, the only way to get something like this iron block monster to fly would be to strap the wings directly to the engine and sit on it. Not my idea of fun. This engine (which I have a lot of experience with) relies on really good cooling to keep the block and the inlet charge temperatures manageable.

Have a look at the Yanmar 4TN-88 for some ideas. The biggest issue to extracting more power is the fuel spray pattern. I'll leave it at that because others will chime in about using car Diesel engines which this isn't.

90 hp at 3000 rpm sounds just right to me but like you say the friggen weight is the pain. Maybe a alum head? I want one that is bone stock and a bunch of new and used parts to scrounge from. As far as HP I can only hope to find one that is close to or better then a 1835 VW on take off and that isn't much. I like the Thermo K because it is such a strong little engine and would sound cool in front of my planes. Any good Alum block inline 4 cyl Diesel motors out there?? Next great find will be like the Corvair, slowly we all will use up the left overs and look for some thing new!