Nailed it! Strong language warning, don't do this

• 2 weeks later...

If the wind was so strong how could the turn be done so easily, on the ground? I've probably only landed in stuff similar to that once, in a Tiger. Needed people to hold the wings down. Could easily fly backwards, but I wouldn't recommend landing that way. IF the situation is temporary wait it out or go somewhere else. Trees or obstacles upwind make it very rough (turbulent). Nev

If the wind was so strong how could the turn be done so easily, on the ground? I've probably only landed in stuff similar to that once, in a Tiger. Needed people to hold the wings down. Could easily fly backwards, but I wouldn't recommend landing that way. IF the situation is temporary wait it out or go somewhere else. Trees or obstacles upwind make it very rough (turbulent). Nev

To me it looks like the wind was 45 degrees to the runway direction and the turn on the ground was a slow speed ground loop. Look at the windsock in the foreground and the dust direction near the aircraft.

• Agree 1

I used to work at Nobby's Signal Station in Newcastle once a fortnight for many years and, on two occasions around summer time, I saw a light plane hovering stationary above Nobby's Beach and once even flew very s-l-o-w-l-y backwards ...such was the headwind that made this possible. The nautical types who manned the radios at the signal station told me that they had seen this about ten times from their vantage point. It alarmed one of them the first time he saw it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif as he thought that the plane was in trouble.