Ozrunways - iPad mini or iPad Air?

barryco

I am hoping to get started with my cross-country certification soon and am planning on subscribing to OzRunways.

I'm wondering whether I should buy the iPad mini (7.9 inch display) or the large Air (9.7 inch).

What are people's opinions? I am leaning to the mini for space reasons but could be convinced to go larger if their are reasons that are not obvious to me.

Thanks

I use the iPad mini which is just the right size to strap on the leg using a knee board. Using the knee board strapped on allows you to keep the iPad in the same place during the whole flight, including take off and landing. If the iPad is not fixed to the dash or knee, you must stow it for take off and landing. The only issue I have had occasionally is overheating if the sun has been shining directly onto it for a long time. Overheating causes the iPad to shut down.

• Agree 2

Using a high wing aircraft can reduce or eliminate the overheating problem. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

CAUTION: Overheating can also cause a pilot to shut down. splat.gif.4fe5615d47cdda8649f5910181ed23f2.gif

[Not a problem here at the moment - overcast, windy, light showers and 14 deg!] 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gifbad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

• Like 1

Guest alpipete

Here in Whakatane NZ I use a Samsung galaxy tab 3 lite model SM-T110.Mounted on a bracket and the size is not too large,works well.Latest price at present best deal is $199 nz

Been there done that, didn't understand how OZRUNWAYS works so bought an IPAD MINI.

Then had to buy a GPS dongle from SPORTYS AVIATION $99

Mounted the IPAD on the yoke and in turbulence IFR found hard to read so upgraded to an IPAD AIR

Mounting a IPAD AIR in a PA28 is not an option.

Having an unsecured IPAD of any sort is not an option.

I then bought a cheap IPAD Mini 2 with SIM slot and it tracks better than the GPS equipped mini 4.

I found some good yoke RAM mounts from WA for about $100 not the high price aviation dealers.

My intention is to have the IPAD AIR as back up with all maps I need with the flight plan...

and AIP

and ERSA

a printed copy of the flight plan...

a DC connector to charge it on long flights (using SIM version as the slot for the GPS takes up the lightning connector)

and use peer to peer transfer to the yoke of the maps I need which are simply

WAC AUS

ENR LOW AUS

DAPS

ERSA

AOPA

QED

PS

if you don't have right printer it wont print from IPAD unless its an AIR PRINTER

Guest alpipete

Hi Microman,I was informed of this device by one of your colleagues who is an instructor at Rangiora also Logan Mc Clean is also aware of this Ipad,he may be able to help you he is the Alpi agent and resides at the private airstrip Fernside.You probably know him anyway.Regards Pete

I subscribed, loaded it onto my original Ipad with no sim slid it into my existing knee folder and bingo works great, can still operate the screen and it tracks fine.

Whats more, love it :-)

although still getting used to some of the settings.

Hi Barryco

I recently took the plunge & bought an ipad mini 4 wifi+ cellular. (Stupidly expensive: mine was $650 or so from The Good Guys). I used it for the first time on a cross country exercise (YMDG - YQDI) on Monday.

I found it superb! My only fault with it is there are so many bells & whistles available that I probably spent too much time looking at the screen instead of out of the window. But no doubt that will pass.

For me the mini is plenty big enough. In the Jabiru I was flying it was mounted on a Ram holder, which gave it perfect positioning. For my MiniMax, I have made a kneeboard which straps to my thigh. I don't think there is enough space in the Max's office for it to go anywhere else. So anything bigger than the mini ipad is not an option.

But as I said, I found it plenty big enough, particularly since it is so easy to zoom in & out for local or more 'global' view.

My task now is to try to acquire the skills & learn the content of the huge amount of data & display options available. It's tough being an old dog with a new trick to learn, though there are a lot of resources available from Oz runways: Youtube vids & their free download ibook, etc. Plus other pilots, of course.

For peace of mind in navigation over great featureless areas like the Liverpool Plains, with almost no geographical standout features & very few roads, it sure beats the hell out of a wobbly compass, a paper map & a stopwatch.

Bruce

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the iPad mini mounted in a RAM mount for a few years with good results.

I previously used the bigger iPad in a knee mount I bought from OzRunways ($35).

I am now thinking of upgrading to the iPad Air. Put simply, if you can fit a big one in your panel, use the big one. If you can't use the mini it works OK.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1