RAAus Insurance

Scotty 1

Perhaps the obvious is staring us all in the face. Perhaps RAAus managed to acquire a better deal for all us members through PSB. Isnt that what the CEO was saying recently that they had a better insurance deal coming?

I would expect our management to be always looking for better deals wouldn't you?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The current members liability insurance is with Willis (AIG) as per attached. Expiry 4pm 31/10/2016. I hope this is separate to the matters referred to on page 1 and unaffected. See Scottys post No 20.https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/20151028-raa-cop-liability.pdf

That is my understanding at this time. I wasn't able to get onto my other contact at Willis this afternoon to see what he has to say but I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers Scotty.

The insurance issue caused a noise a few year ago when Steve Runciman was accused of fraudulent activity. The experts took over and the insurance has been dodgey ever since. So here we go again. What would be the case if they were not experts.KP

Keith, if you were fair dinkum all your posts bagging out RAAus would be prefaced with a declaration that you are in the process of setting up a competing organisation that you hope to profit from - feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed on this point.

Next, Runcinan was never accused of fraud by anyone. He was a very hard-working, if misguided President. He meant no ill to RAAus. His mistake, in my view, was supporting a CEO who failed to get Insurance renewed two years in succession and thereby exposed the organisation to unimaginable risks at a time when the organisation was, in my view accident prone. This view may have been vindicated by the registrations debacle.

My personal experience with Willis was that they were not delivering the promised good value insurance to members. I was able to obtain insurance from a top class insurer for many hundreds of dollars less than was on offer from Willis.

I had no part in getting rid of Willis or going back to PSB. My experience with PSB has been that I would never use them, ever... Ever! Once let down I am very slow to forgive.

A commercially astute person would always seek a broker they are happy to work with.

Such happiness comes from good service and competitive rates.

From the recommendations I have Willis were competitively priced and from my conversations with them they were very helpful but that is now another ship that has sailed. Interesting you don't like PSB either Don. Do you believe it has been a good move to change to PSB if you feel they haven't delivered a good service or is this change been just priced based without looking at the big picture, or is there other forces at play here?

Cheers Scotty.

From the recommendations I have Willis were competitively priced and from my conversations with them they were very helpful but that is now another ship that has sailed. Interesting you don't like PSB either Don. Do you believe it has been a good move to change to PSB if you feel they haven't delivered a good service or is this change been just priced based without looking at the big picture, or is there other forces at play here?Cheers Scotty.

Scotts,

I was very dissatisfied with PSB previously but it could be that they were taking their lead from Tizzard. And it was a particular person at PSB that let RAAus down badly but, to be fair scrambled hard to undo the damage. It is possible that they learned from that debacle. I certainly hope so.

I can recommend Ian Tait for excellent service and competitive premiums. [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm impressed that some of you guys expect that you will be paid out in the event of a claim.

To me, the one bit of information I would like before buying insurance is the details of claims NOT paid out. Now some of the refusals could well be justified, but some might, in my view at least, show that the "insured" was stiffed.

Alas the information about claims not paid is privy to the company and they don't seem to share this with the suc... oops I mean customers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think an insurance company is only as good as it pays out in an event. Only after that then price becomes relevant. So I seriously hoped they looked into this.

Whilst some bad claims make their figures look worse, the best indicator we can get is a payout ratio. If I where negotiating on behalf of a group this big, Id ask for it.

• Agree 1

A few guys I knew well were engaged by an insurer after a big bushfire here as extra claims assessors.

They told me later that the policies had so much fine print that few if any really needed to be paid as a matter of legality, but most were paid, at least partially, as a matter of public relations.

Personally, I know that our club has always been paid out but we averaged $20,000 in claims and $50,000 in premiums.