Training Accident at Merredin, WA

A Grob trainer landed heavily at Merredin on 20/9/2016, causing substantial damage. Solo pilot was uninjured.

Weather conditions reported as a gusty N wind at 8.30am. Runway was presumably 35, which runs uphill to the N. Having operated into this location both before and after CSFS setup there, I can vouch for very turbulent conditions on the 35 approach in a strongish N wind. Not surprised that a student upset has occurred. I think there have been several mishaps at Merredin which go largely unreported.

Just as a reminder to all pilots - Merredin is leased exclusively by China Southern Flying School and prior permission is required to land there. Details are in ERSA. Traffic is noted as 'high density training'. Beware!!

When I did my training at YWKM we got a lot of their Grobs coming in for navs etc, tense moments as you had no idea where they were, impossible to understand most of the time over the radio with English not being their first language. Just kept a good lookout and let them know exactly where I was..

Not the first Grob to have been banged up at Merredin. They are learning on them, after all. I think there's been about 4 or 5 Grobs banged up there over the last decade or so. Poor old Grobs take a hammering.

VH-??? - 08/10/05 - prop strike on runway

VH-ZIV - 11/10/13 - heavy landing, nose gear collapse

VH-BFW - 04/02/14 - stalled on go-around, crashed, substantial damage

VH-ZTO - found this 2007 pic of ZTO "damaged after crash landing, Merredin" - but I can find no investigation report?

Aircraft VH-ZTO (1995 Grob G-115C2 C/N 82055/C2) Photo by Dawei Sun (Photo ID: AC299146)

I flew up to to Merredin one Saturday just for a "look".

Phoned them up and was given the "all clear".

There was no activity that day due some landing issues, however I was told it was not unusual for 6 to 10 in the circuit at any one time. I may well have done a "180" after hearing 10 "chinese accent" aircraft all in one spot....lol.

They have something like 30 Grobs and their own inhouse maint facility.

No doubt it puts valuable income into the town.

No doubt it puts valuable income into the town.

According to what I've heard - that is not the case. The property lease costs them $1 per annum,(a peppercorn rental), I'm told. Students head for Perth on the weekend, in the instructors wake, because Merredin isn't exactly a hub of social activity. I'd be guessing, but it's likely the accommodation providors buy in bulk, in Perth. That was a local opinion I picked up on. When they began the school, a deal was struck with the Merredin Aero Club to provide an instructor on weekends to allow club members to train there when things were quiet. I remember there were some reported problems with this deal, and unsure if it still exists. Unless you really need to go there - overfly as high as you can!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Quirindi was one of several locations where a similar school was to be developed. What benefits for locals? Pretty much like giving transnational corporations your mineral, gas and oil deposits. A few locals with the right qualifications get work. Political parties get useful donations, perhaps a retiring minister is employed as a highly paid "consultant". Tax holidays and transfer pricing mean the best of use are taken for a ride.

• Like 2

Quirindi was one of several locations where a similar school was to be developed. What benefits for locals? Pretty much like giving transnational corporations your mineral, gas and oil deposits. A few locals with the right qualifications get work. Political parties get useful donations, perhaps a retiring minister is employed as a highly paid "consultant". Tax holidays and transfer pricing mean the best of use are taken for a ride.

They would have no idea what it was.