If I pass the PPL flight test, do I still need to do an RAAus BFR?

rdarby

I have an RAAus Pilot Certificate, and the time is approaching for me to do my BFR.

However a few months ago I passed the PPL flight test and now have a PPL too, so am flying both RAAus and GA aircraft.

A GA pilot has told me not to bother with the RAAus BFR, as the PPL counts instead, in the same way if you pass an RAAus endorsement you are effectively reviewed and don't need to do the BFR.

Given GA and RAAus are quite separate I am not sure if that is true. I suppose I would need to tell RAAus that I have a PPL then. Do they even care?

Anyone experienced this?

I have an RAAus Pilot Certificate, and the time is approaching for me to do my BFR.However a few months ago I passed the PPL flight test and now have a PPL too, so am flying both RAAus and GA aircraft.

A GA pilot has told me not to bother with the RAAus BFR, as the PPL counts instead, in the same way if you pass an RAAus endorsement you are effectively reviewed and don't need to do the BFR.

Given GA and RAAus are quite separate I am not sure if that is true. I suppose I would need to tell RAAus that I have a PPL then. Do they even care?

Anyone experienced this?

Rdarby

My understanding is that you do not have to complete a RAA BFR as the PPL test should count, I have a PPL and haven't been required to complete a separate RAA BFR. I send a copy of my log book to RAA at the time of my BFR.

Best way to find out though is give them a call Jill will fill you in on what needs to be done

Aldo

I have an RAAus Pilot Certificate, and the time is approaching for me to do my BFR.However a few months ago I passed the PPL flight test and now have a PPL too, so am flying both RAAus and GA aircraft.

Anyone experienced this?

Best way to find out is to read the ops manual where it says you do not need to do an RAAus BFR if you have achieved a PPL or RPL in the last two years or if you have done a GA BFR (all the GA stuff needs to have been done in an aircraft with a MTOW of 1500 kg or less.) Just send them the evidence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I think you need to get an endorsement or a BFR in GA to not need an RAAus BFR. You will have to tell RAAus that you have done it and they will confirm that you are considered to have complied with their BFR requirements. When I did that a few months ago I had a reply from RAAus on the same day as I advised them.

From the RAAus Ops Manual section 2.07:

If a Pilot Certificate holder has within a period of two years immediately preceding the proposed flight, passed a flight test for the issue of a CASA Recreational Pilot Licence or higher, or the initial issue of a CASA licence, rating or endorsement, then the pilot is taken to have satisfactorily completed a recreational aeroplane flight review on the date of the flight test. (f) CASA issued Endorsements accepted as meeting the requirements of Paragraph 5.e. are: (i) CSU propeller

(ii) Tail wheel undercarriage

(iii) Retractable undercarriage

(iv) Float alighting gear

(v) Floating hull

(vi) Controlled airspace

An aeroplane flight review (AFR) conducted in a single engine aeroplane with a MTOW less than 1500KG, is accepted as meeting the requirements of paragraph 5.f. A copy of the AFR statement from the pilot’s logbook is to be forwarded to RA-Aus Headquarters. The statement should include the pilot’s name, type of flight conducted, name and signature of the examiner and the date of the AFR.