Radio Frequencies

Cosmick

Considering a flight from Caboolture to the Straddie Breakfast on Saturday. This is a high traffic area with flight lanes depicted on the VTC. FYI the VTC requests all Aircraft transiting to turn on Landing and Taxi Lights.

Now YCAB CTAF is 125.85 which will get you to Woorim on the east side of Bribie, then as you cross Moreton Bay (8nm) to Moreton Island change to BN CEN on 125.7 and remain on this freq southbound on the west side of Moreton Island till 10nm+ from Dunwich on Stradbroke Island and change to 126.7. On the way home reverse the trend up the East side of the Islands. My concern is DO many pilots actually monitor and announce their position on the Area Frequency (BN CEN) which is obviously a busy channel.

If you are within 10nm of Tangalooma you should be on 126.7 - the airfield is marked on the charts and its the freq the helicopter joy flights from the resort will be using.

Likewise within 10nm of Kooringal (Baroco).

But I've heard traffic from as far south as Amity making calls on Caboolture CTAF so I wouldnt assume everybody else is following the rules !

If you are within 10nm of Tangalooma you should be on 126.7 - the airfield is marked on the charts and its the freq the helicopter joy flights from the resort will be using.Likewise within 10nm of Kooringal (Baroco).

But I've heard traffic from as far south as Amity making calls on Caboolture CTAF so I wouldnt assume everybody else is following the rules !

OK John, 125.85 (YCAB,YCDR) to Woorim then 126.7 10nm either side of YTGA which is then all but 10nm from YDUN (126.7) not to mention YBCX. As YTGA was not in ERSA was unsure the default CTAF applied. I will though go to BNE CN over the water "Just in Case".

My concern is DO many pilots actually monitor and announce their position on the Area Frequency (BN CEN) which is obviously a busy channel.

I do at VFR Approach Points. Departure and arrivals are on separate channels. Last time I flew that route, I supposed I didn't have to make a broadcast, but as the channel was not busy, I made a broadcast and intentions over Worrim. ATC responded by identifying me by getting me to change to a different transponder code temporarily. Then they asked me to change it back to 1200. It was nice to know they had my back.
  • Like 1

If you are within 10nm of Tangalooma you should be on 126.7 - the airfield is marked on the charts and its the freq the helicopter joy flights from the resort will be using.Likewise within 10nm of Kooringal (Baroco).

It is 20 nM from YCAB to Tangalooma so you should switch mid point. I actually switch after I cross east coast Bribie but I monitor area from the minute I take off from YCAB. I give calls to Tangalooma on 126.7 at 10 nM and stay on that to give further calls to Dunwich at 10 nM.

Coming from south I would be on 119.0 and monitor Area until 10 nM from Straddie. Then I would switch to Ycab 125.8 as I left Tangalooma and still monitor area.

I would like a second radio to monitor Redcliffe but don't have one.

YRED/YCAB and Moreton Island are very busy and need diligent radio monitoring. I always keep and ear on area mainly because of the meat bombers in the region.

• Like 1

On a recent flight from YBAF - YDUN, overhead Cleveland at 2000, Bne Cen alerted me to the fact another plane was passing 300ft below me. I hadn't contacted them with intentions before that, but it was comforting to know someone was watching!

• Like 1

I do this moreton trip a lot, and always use 126.7 which is the correct frequency to be broadcasting on and monitoring. When flying to Moreton from Bribie, I change from 125.85 to 126.7 once over water and then make a position broadcast. I reckon this is important, because most people do the overwater leg at 3500 so you are in gliding distance of land. I also make a position broadcast when returning, and another on 125.85 when nearing Bribie.

Also, the Tangaloma resort chopper is usually quite active, but always broadcasts position info on 126.7 also,

I am spoiled and have 2 comms, so Brisbane Centre is always tuned in on the second com.

I would like a second radio to monitor Redcliffe but don't have one.

I would not be concerned about YRED as everyone changes to YCAB CTAF at Beachmere anyway.