Where would you take a foreign flyer?

The other place mentioned is Coober Pedy. Hot as. They say they are going to dig the aerodrome up to mine it. It's the only place that hasn't been mined there YET. The coast has to be more interesting. Any of it. Pick the right time of the year for any of this. April to October for Coober Pedy. 800 odd Kms north of Adelaide. the SALT lakes are not safe to land on and are not very scenic. Below sea level and often hot and muggy. Different?YES but you wouldn't live there. Forced landing in hot remote areas. NO SHADE. You can die there easily. Nev

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
You're in Coldstream right? How about flight around the city. Maybe just me, but as a foreign visitor, I'd take that over a flight over empty country.

Definitely going to go over Melbourne... Unf out here, there is a "land clear" rule which means singles can't go over London (plus the fact they don't allow VFR over London as is mostly covered by LHR and London City's CTR...

[edit] LHR and City's zones were recently recalssified from Class A to Class D as EASA decided SVFR flight (which allowed operating at lower minimas for VFR along SVFR routes) was not appropriate. SVFR along prescribed routes was allowed in the UK. However, I am pretty sure one is still limited to the SVFR routes when crossing the Heathrow zone following VFR despite class D technically being open to VFR transits.

spacesailor, when were last at Dalhousie and how hard was it to get permission to land. Everything I hear suggests it is quite difficult.

Flew over the top a couple of years ago and wasn't game to try our luck with a landing.

The other place mentioned is Coober Pedy. Hot as. They say they are going to dig the aerodrome up to mine it. It's the only place that hasn't been mined there YET. The coast has to be more interesting. Any of it. Pick the right time of the year for any of this. April to October for Coober Pedy. 800 odd Kms north of Adelaide. the SALT lakes are not safe to land on and are not very scenic. Below sea level and often hot and muggy. Different?YES but you wouldn't live there. Forced landing in hot remote areas. NO SHADE. You can die there easily. Nev

Hoping to take the family to Cooper Peedy this year... amongst other places - but that will be by car (partner hates flying - even in the big things - with a passion).Then back later for the Birdsville tour.

Although I am happy to spend hours flying over desolate landscape to get to an isolated oasis/paradise/attraction, I am not sure that others from these parts are that willing; so looking at more frequent sights along the way.Of course, survival in the event of a mishap is a priority...

Routing I am thinking of so far...

Day 1 - See mum (Healesville); check rides at Coldstream ; four n twenty pie for lunch (how much are they these days and what are the chances of contracting some gastro bug? ) Take mum up for a joyride; Show poms some real Aussie wine (and cheese)

Day 2 - Was thinking of going to Tyabb to take the poms to more wineries, but will have to cull that.. Was going to stop at Tocumwal, but will have to cull that too.. So, will go from Coldstream via Melbourne (see some coast, albert park lake, Shrine and MCG, plus a look a the city) to Temora (it was a toss up with Mungo as I haven't been to either - Termora won).

Day 3 - Temora --> Lightening RIdge

Day 4 - Lightening Ridge --> Birdsville - pushing it a bit, but with an early enough start, should be able to make it.

Still thinking of a return route - bloomin big Country!... Will need a fast couple of planes...

Hoping to take the family to Cooper Peedy this year... amongst other places - but that will be by car (partner hates flying - even in the big things - with a passion).Then back later for the Birdsville tour.Although I am happy to spend hours flying over desolate landscape to get to an isolated oasis/paradise/attraction, I am not sure that others from these parts are that willing; so looking at more frequent sights along the way.Of course, survival in the event of a mishap is a priority...

Routing I am thinking of so far...

Day 1 - See mum (Healesville); check rides at Coldstream ; four n twenty pie for lunch (how much are they these days and what are the chances of contracting some gastro bug? ) Take mum up for a joyride; Show poms some real Aussie wine (and cheese)

Day 2 - Was thinking of going to Tyabb to take the poms to more wineries, but will have to cull that.. Was going to stop at Tocumwal, but will have to cull that too.. So, will go from Coldstream via Melbourne (see some coast, albert park lake, Shrine and MCG, plus a look a the city) to Temora (it was a toss up with Mungo as I haven't been to either - Termora won).

Day 3 - Temora --> Lightening RIdge

Day 4 - Lightening Ridge --> Birdsville - pushing it a bit, but with an early enough start, should be able to make it.

Still thinking of a return route - bloomin big Country!... Will need a fast couple of planes...

Jerry:

Not all the scenery out there is boring.

Here's a link to our outback trip series. We didn't do too much on ground filming (we were having too much fun!) but there's plenty to see on the way from A to B out there.

We were with the "short form" group and we were away for just short of two weeks.

Our trip took us from Brisbane to;

Roma, Charleville

Charleville, Windora, Birdsville

Birdsville, New Crown Station, Ayers Rock

Ayers Rock, Kings Creek Station (Kings Canyon)

Kings Creek Station, Cadney Homestead, Coober Pedy

Coober Pedy, William Creek (with a fly over Lake Eyre)

William Creek, Leigh Creek, Broken Hill

Broken Hill, Bourke, Moree

Moree, Brisbane

A couple of the legs of our trip are missing from the series; We had some issues with cameras on the Kings creek to Coober Pedy leg, and the William Creek to Broken Hill leg is not for public viewing.

Jerry:Not all the scenery out there is boring.

Here's a link to our outback trip series. We didn't do too much on ground filming (we were having too much fun!) but there's plenty to see on the way from A to B out there.

[youtube removed]

We were with the "short form" group and we were away for just short of two weeks.

Roma, Charleville

Moree, Brisbane

A couple of the legs of our trip are missing from the series; We had some issues with cameras on the Kings creek to Coober Pedy leg, and the William Creek to Broken Hill leg is not for public viewing.

Now, that last thing about "not for public viewing" has perked up the ol' curiosity gland... 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif

Looks like a great trip - will take a look at the sequences....

On average - how many hours flying did you do a day - and what would the typical cruise speed be (I was thinking of hiring PA28s/C172s as we are all PPLs and fly similar types here).. As long as each a/c can handle 2 up and reasonable baggage/emergency supplies would consider an LSA/VLA and RAA type.. though a Jab 2200 (I think) or Rotax 91x series engine up front would probably be a min requisite...

Now, that last thing about "not for public viewing" has perked up the ol' curiosity gland... 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gifLooks like a great trip - will take a look at the sequences....

On average - how many hours flying did you do a day - and what would the typical cruise speed be (I was thinking of hiring PA28s/C172s as we are all PPLs and fly similar types here).. As long as each a/c can handle 2 up and reasonable baggage/emergency supplies would consider an LSA/VLA and RAA type.. though a Jab 2200 (I think) or Rotax 91x series engine up front would probably be a min requisite...

Jerry:

Our plane cruises around 110KIAS. Flight times varied, but the legs between "pit stops" was generally around 2 to 2-1/2 hours. If you all have PPLs, then GA aircraft would be the way to go. You cannot fly RAA aircraft on a PPL and I don't think there would be many RAA aircraft that you could hire for a trip like this. Most of our group were RAA aircraft, but privately ownd. Speeds ranged from around 140KIS (Virus) to 75KIAS (Savannah).

I may do a public version of the William Creek - Broken Hill segment in the future ... If time and inclination permits.

For some reason, the link that I am able to post on the forums here doesn't link up the other videos in the sequence. Best just to go to my You Tube channel and view them directly. If you have the bandwidth, select the HD versions. The easiest way to get to my channel is to go to my web site and follow the link from there.

Try Broken Hill (stay 2 days) Pro Hart and the limestone fossils place not far from Griffith. (Someone will know it's name . Airstrip and accommodation good. Perhaps Temora if they like planes. All in the one area. Nev

Actually, I was thinking of heading to the east coast for the return trip - but from memory there are a lot of prohibited or restricted areas anyway (Nowra, Sale and a couple of others)... So, looking at Google Maps (because my planning software stopped their Aussie maps subscription - too expensive for the number of subscribers, I suspect):

Day 7 - 8: Birdsville --> Cooper Pedy (if doable - otherwsie will have to find a stop to lay over for the night)

Day 9 (or 8 if Cooper Pedy is doable): Cooper Pedy --> Broken Hill

Day 10: Broken Hill --> Parafield (and see f we can do a sneaky circumnavigation of Kangaroo Island)

Day 11: Parafield --> Apollo Bay (I know it's a tough airstrip, but I have flown from dodgier ones here).

Now comes the question - do I take the poms to King Island or Flinders Island, or to the Mornington Peninsula for day 12? Still deciding....

And for the whole route - f anyone can give me must-see's enroute, that would be much appreciated.

BTW - not sure if I mentioned this previously - HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

• Like 1

Jerry:Not all the scenery out there is boring.

[youtube snipped]

Roma, Charleville

Moree, Brisbane

Thanks, Scott.. Watched most of it - even the wife enjoyed them and she hates flying...

Routes are planned (currently via Skyvector, so since they have Aussie airspace markings but not levels, etc, will need a map and/or OzRunways.. and find out if I actually have to get an Aussie PPL or can get a temp certificate of validity (regs seem to say TCoVs are only for commercial pilots but I am sure PPLs here have got them). And of course, there's the ASIC...

Thanks, Scott.. Watched most of it - even the wife enjoyed them and she hates flying...Routes are planned (currently via Skyvector, so since they have Aussie airspace markings but not levels, etc, will need a map and/or OzRunways.. and find out if I actually have to get an Aussie PPL or can get a temp certificate of validity (regs seem to say TCoVs are only for commercial pilots but I am sure PPLs here have got them). And of course, there's the ASIC...

Jerry:

I have only been asked for my ASIC twice. Once was at Dubbo airport, but the main one was Ayers Rock where you have to fill in a form beforehand with your ASIC details. Leave yourselves plenty of time to get the ASICs as bureaucracy moves like molasses going uphill in winter.

BTW! Glad your aerophobic wife liked the videos.