Where would you take a foreign flyer?

Hi All,

I am planning my 2017 Birdsville trip, which will depart YCEM. I know the route I want to take, however, there are some work friends who are showing interest in coming along. My route is based on my bias, and some stop offs, I imagine, will have not much interest to foreign tourists (e.g. YTOC for a hopeful spot of gliding).

So, for a real taste of Aussie culture, characters and scenery, where would you fly a foreign tourist flyer to within the eastern seaboard (can go a little off-piste) in a 2 week sojourn including Birdsville, and not too far north of it?

Thanks in advance.

J

• Haha 1

go out back the coast full neil

Thanks, One of my planned stops with them would be lightening ridge, for example; Opal mines and the dealers, some rather hot springs, etc...

I was thinking Bourke as well (only because I haven't been there), but is there anything else there fore for non_Aussie initiated...

Any other specific outback areas within a reasonable range greatly appreciated.

Try Broken Hill (stay 2 days) Pro Hart and the limestone fossils place not far from Griffith. (Someone will know it's name . Airstrip and accommodation good. Perhaps Temora if they like planes. All in the one area. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi All,I am planning my 2017 Birdsville trip, which will depart YCEM. I know the route I want to take, however, there are some work friends who are showing interest in coming along. My route is based on my bias, and some stop offs, I imagine, will have not much interest to foreign tourists (e.g. YTOC for a hopeful spot of gliding).

So, for a real taste of Aussie culture, characters and scenery, where would you fly a foreign tourist flyer to within the eastern seaboard (can go a little off-piste) in a 2 week sojourn including Birdsville, and not too far north of it?

Thanks in advance.

J

You should include the sandstone curtain aka Great Dividing Range. The run to Braidwood Moruya, up the coast past Nowra (pm Fri to Sunday, You will need a clearance otherwise), past Wollongong, over to the Oaks, to Katoomba, Cowra and back to YTEM. You get a good view of the coastal ranges and coast and your friends will see what a great country you are flying over. This route also provides an immense variation in scenery and terrain☺

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Definitely Lightning Ridge. Incredibly interesting place (and a little strange). You will need some transport there, but as I am finding more often than not when flying the outback, if you call ahead to the motel owner (if staying over night) or the local fuel station (if just a day trip) and ask them some questions they will either point you to a hire car/bike place, or sometimes even lend your their own car or a friends as well as pick you up and drop you off to the airstrip. Very friendly!

I flew to Louth earlier this year (The annual Louth races is like a mini Birdsville), and stopped over in Lightning Ridge and Bourke. Had a great time in all three places and made new friends along the way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

From Brisbane to Birdsville over the sand to Dalhousie Springs springs, (phone the Ranger) over Lake Eyre, to William creek (lowest landing) & the painted hills, 1st night at the "pink roadhouse, on to Cooper pede, fly to How many WEEKS did you say.LoL

spacesailor

• Like 1

From Brisbane to Birdsville over the sand to Dalhousie Springs springs, (phone the Ranger) over Lake Eyre, to William creek (lowest landing) & the painted hills, 1st night at the "pink roadhouse, on to Cooper pede, fly to How many WEEKS did you say.LoLspacesailor

Adelaide to Birdsville don't you mean??? All those are SA!

• Like 1

The person I met while at "Dalhousie springs", before crossing the "Simpson desert" to "Birdsville",

Had hired the aircraft from "Archerfield" YBAF. Brisbane. so I know the flight has been done from the east coast,

As for "Adelaide" I "Know Nothing".

spacesailor

• Agree 1

Got to go to Cameron corner ( border of QLD NSW and SA ). If high wing taxi to fuel bowser and park out front of pub.

I read about Cameron corner in a 4x4 Australia magazine years ago.. was always on the list... Well, with the ability to park out front of the pub, it has to be on the list!

(As long as I don't get done like the bloke in, I think it was North Qld who took his wings off)

Yes some of those places mentioned are really desolate and look so from the air. Lot of time just sitting and watching it go slowly past underneath and rough air on a hot day, at all heights you are likely to use. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Akromaster

You haven't seen the "painted hills" then, I suggest a trip "outback" to see the wonders of Australia. Driven around Australia a couple of times, and will be going to do it again.

Jabirupilot,

I can drive to the airport, will anyone loan a plane !.LoL.

The problem with driving every-where is "there's an awful lot of Locked gates", some require a previous phone-call to council or someone unknown (manager),

Just to drop-in & say Hi.

Surprising were I get to & at what airport. Biggest "flock" of helicopter's were at "Buchanan hwy NT

spacesailor

• Like 1

AkromasterYou haven't seen the "painted hills" then, I suggest a trip "outback" to see the wonders of Australia. Driven around Australia a couple of times, and will be going to do it again.

Jabirupilot,

The problem with driving every-where is "there's an awful lot of Locked gates", some require a previous phone-call to council or someone unknown (manager),

Surprising were I get to & at what airport.

spacesailor

Wouldn't push ya luck that far, although I'm sure somebody would be only too happy to show ya the sites, Mungo station, with strip, is about twenty mins away.

• Like 1

Thanks Jabirupilot

Have one invite (hopefully) at Etchuca Victoria. When passing an airport known to have a member of this Illustrious forum, and see a recognizable aircraft,

but alas another locked gate. Drive away & say nothing. even in the old Dart, I couldn't get to see the only HummleBird in the UK

Didn't even have Phill's home airport address.

Didn't have Any contacts in Dublin Ireland.

spacesailor

AkromasterYou haven't seen the "painted hills" then, I suggest a trip "outback" to see the wonders of Australia. Driven around Australia a couple of times, and will be going to do it again.

Jabirupilot,

Surprising were I get to & at what airport. Biggest "flock" of helicopter's were at "Buchanan hwy NT

spacesailor

I'm sure there are great sites outback...I often see that with relos that come from overseas and the first thing people want to do is take them to the country. Not having a go at JA here but just because one finds it boring now having lived here all ones life, doesn't mean that the visitors won't enjoy it.

Back on subject though, even if it's in the other direction, flying up the coast out Alf Jessups direction is beautiful beaches and towns like Lakes Entrance and beyond.

Birdsville SA?spacesailor

No, but your suggested Route is all in SA.

Quote - "From Brisbane to Birdsville over the sand to Dalhousie Springs springs, (phone the Ranger) over Lake Eyre, to William creek (lowest landing) & the painted hills, 1st night at the "pink roadhouse, on to Cooper pede, fly to How many WEEKS did you say.LoL spacesailor

Quote - Hi Jerry Brisbane, to William Creek, then return to Brisbane, is a one day trip,(in a reasonable quick plane)

spacesailor

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif What planet are you on? Better check.

The person I met while at "Dalhousie springs", before crossing the "Simpson desert" to "Birdsville",Had hired the aircraft from "Archerfield" YBAF. Brisbane. so I know the flight has been done from the east coast,

As for "Adelaide" I "Know Nothing".

spacesailor

From Brisbane to Birdsville via South Australia???? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif Ok, you go that way, I'll go a little more direct thanks. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Beautiful and the location of the painted hills a 'guarded secret' - SA LIFE - Lake Eyre and the Painted Hills

Here is the location - Anna Creek Painted Hills | Anna Creek Things to Do but I can not see anything at this location on Google Map Satellite view that looks like the painted hills in the video above.

• Like 1