Hodges Fuel Volatility Tester

rgmwa

Anybody know where to buy a Hodges Fuel Volatility Tester? Supposedly available from Petersen Aviation Inc in the US, but doesn't appear on their website.

rgmwa

That question is going to lead to some very interesting discussion.

My first Google search lead me to this : https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/airworth/awb/28/003.pdf which talks about aircraft fuel. It's off topic, but interesting.

You could try this ad: HODGES VOLATILITY TESTER for sale in Bountiful, Utah - Classifieds KSL

See the last page of this PDF for a picture

OME

autogas_vs_avgas.pdf

autogas_vs_avgas.pdf

autogas_vs_avgas.pdf

Volatility is a bit hard to quantify. Vapour pressures of the various components might be more use, and better indicate potential problems with vapour lock and also floats sinking due bubbles in the fuel (like when you take the cork out of a Champagne bottle) This causes "flooding of a float type carburetter.

. Lead only "works" above a fairly high temperature. The liquid cooled Rotax 912 series runs too cool, generally for optimum lead additive performance in the alleged "lubricating" function, hence the difficulty sometimes experienced when using it with exhaust valve seating deteriorating. The white residue in the exhaust pipes of engines using lead is from the bromide compound used to prevent it building up too much. The lead is only liquid on the exhaust valve seats in optimum conditions and doesn't help anything anywhere else . It works much the same way as a flux when brazing or sand when used in forge welding steel. (That's something most "moderns" have never done. Weld under the hammer) . Nev

Thanks Scotty, I think that's for STC's rather than the Tester, but will follow up.

OME, I saw that advert but am not sure if it's current or not.

I'm actually asking on behalf of a mate who lives in a remote town in the Pilbara and has trouble getting reliable supplies of mogas.

rgmwa

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hampden
Anybody know where to buy a Hodges Fuel Volatility Tester? Supposedly available from Petersen Aviation Inc in the US, but doesn't appear on their website.rgmwa

They are no longer in manufacture and with better fuels these days are not so necessary. The main issue is ethanol not declared in fuel. Not sure of the practicability of testing outside of a lab. "Add a known quantity of water to the fuel/mix it. If the water content increases you probability have ethanol. The Hodges Tester was invented in Australia to measure the Reid Vapour Pressure. To meet EPA requirements for escaping fuel vapour, the petrol companies have lowered the RVP.

Guest Hampden
Volatility is a bit hard to quantify. Vapour pressures of the various components might be more use, and better indicate potential problems with vapour lock and also floats sinking due bubbles in the fuel (like when you take the cork out of a Champagne bottle) This causes "flooding of a float type carburetter.. Lead only "works" above a fairly high temperature. The liquid cooled Rotax 912 series runs too cool, generally for optimum lead additive performance in the alleged "lubricating" function, hence the difficulty sometimes experienced when using it with exhaust valve seating deteriorating. The white residue in the exhaust pipes of engines using lead is from the bromide compound used to prevent it building up too much. The lead is only liquid on the exhaust valve seats in optimum conditions and doesn't help anything anywhere else . It works much the same way as a flux when brazing or sand when used in forge welding steel. (That's something most "moderns" have never done. Weld under the hammer) . Nev

While 100LL is an allowed fuel in the Rotax 912/914, the lead gets picked up in the sump oil which in turn is circulated through the gearbox. The extra lead lubrication can cause premature slipping. We run BP Ultimate 98 and Shell/Rotax oil

Hampden, I don't like running leaded fuel in a 912, but you may find you have little choice, on the odd occasion and Rotax do allow it. Changing the oil at 25 hours is pretty conservative. You can get a compression loss with an uneven build up on a valve seat occasionally. Usually comes good with return to mogas I'm told, but there might be occasions when it doesn't. You pull the motor through to check the oil level so you get an opportunity to check it by feel. Nev

They are no longer in manufacture and with better fuels these days are not so necessary. The main issue is ethanol not declared in fuel. Not sure of the practicability of testing outside of a lab. "Add a known quantity of water to the fuel/mix it. If the water content increases you probability have ethanol. The Hodges Tester was invented in Australia to measure the Reid Vapour Pressure. To meet EPA requirements for escaping fuel vapour, the petrol companies have lowered the RVP.

It seems that Petersen Aviation in the US sent their stock of volatility testers back to Dr Hodges. As you said, the US have adjusted their fuels and apparently no longer had a worthwhile market for the testers.

My mate contacted Dr Hodges last week and was able to get one. Thanks for the reply.

rgmwa