Crossing the Nullaborr

There's no urgency for me to get there - however I want to get straight over and then take my time getting back and stopping off. I've planned stops now at Port Pirie, Forrest a stop over at Esperance onto Albany heading over.

On the way back, I'll stop over at Esperance, Port Pirie and stop over at Clare and Portland before heading home.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me & my Zephyr it seems to me that on the return (W-E) inland/railway rout the fuel question becomes quite interesting from Forrest onward.

Like Berni, I will be carrying 2 X 20 L fuel bladders - Perhaps fill all my tanks (inc the bladders) at Forrest - land somewhere like Maralinga (if allowed) or Ooldea, empty first bladder - then on to Tarcoola, second bladder.

Next available fuel seems to be filling station at Glendambo (would need to check ) Anyhow it all looks a bit (fuel) dry across to Broken Hill, so may have to divert to somewhere like Leigh Creek to get enough fuel for a safe transit to YBHI.

My Z is good for about 5hrs @ 100 knts + 1 hr reserve ( 9 hrs if include fuel bladders). This is well past bladder endurance so take off 30 mins for comfort stops.

To those who have been here before - what were your fuel stops on the Forrest - Broken Hill leg?

Skip I flew a Sportstar from Jandakot to Gladstone Qld a few years ago, slightly slower than your Z but with similar endurance.

We waited in Perth for 2 days of rain before getting out and making it to Kalgoorlie. 4.0 hours tacho time into a headwind. There we waited for another 3 days of rain. This weather of course was moving West to East so we could not count on any of the dirt strips through the middle being servicable.

The next leg was Kalgoorlie to Forrest, a long one, 4.7 hours punching a headwind and sitting under a cloud base of 2500 feet. It was the first and only time I have had to mark a point of no return on a flightplan. Due to the rain there were no alternatives for a diversion, it was either make it to Forrest or go back to Kalgoorlie. Easiest nav though, just pick up the railway line and land at the airport - there's only one, so you know it is the right one!

From Forrest we headed south east to Eucla ( no landing here ) to pick up the coast as I wanted to fly the Bight ( and it was spectacular ) around to Ceduna, 3.9 hours. Filled up & then overnighted in a nice cabin at the caravan park, they even picked us up & dropped off.

Next day was Ceduna to Port Augusta for a fill up, 2.5 hours. Then on to Broken Hill 2.9 hours. Lost a tyre there on landing so had to drag the plane outside the gable markers & tie it down there on the side of the strip as by then we were losing light.

Next morning got hold a new tube & got it fitted by a helpful LAME. Then departed for Bourke, 2.7 hours. Overnight & fuel there.

Last day was Bourke to Roma, 3.6 hours, for a fuel stop. Then Roma to Gladstone 2.9 hours.

All fuel was Avgas, all landings were on sealed runways at airports. Not a single leg gave me a tailwind, but that is a talent I have, I can find a headwind anywhere. I would have loved to have done the servo thing on the Nullabor, but as we were chasing rain I couldn't count on any of the dirt strips being usable. Maybe next time.

Hope this helps,

Mick

• Helpful 1

Same thoughts here.

Forrest, Ceduna, Pt Augusta, Broken Hill.

There are numerous strips at railway sidings if following the line.

They seem well maintained. Used for rail breakdowns I believe.

Hi Mick & Phil -

Mick - Quite the adventure. You were very "game" to persist with the journey in the face of headwinds , rain and potentially boggy runways. Thank you for your story. What was your planned air speed/fuel consumption?

I take from your comments (without you actually saying it) that continuing east along rail line the from Forrest is a little to far between drinks (fuel). You both divert south to the coast.

This may be the way I am forced to go, but as I intend flying the coast on my way west, I would like to pursue the idea of the inland rout for a little longer.

So are there any intrepid flyers out there who have continued east from Forest along the rail line ?

If so where can I refuel (preferably ULP but will go for the stronger stuff if I must) & stay the night(s)?

Skip I did not even look at continuing east along the rail line from Forrest as I wanted to fly the Bight. As I was picking up an aircraft I had bought it was a one way trip from me.

Re speed & fuel burn, the first Sportstar I owned did 100 kts at 5000 rpm burning 18 litres an hour, so that was what I did my planning on. Very quickly after leaving Jandakot I realised this aircraft had the prop set finer and was only giving me 93 kts at the same rpm. I really could have put that other 7 kts to good use on a long trip like this! Some quick revision of plans was needed. The Sportstar carries 120 litres.

As for persisting in the conditions it was interesting. I probably could have made it out of Kalgoorlie to Forrest the day before I did, but with all factors in mind I wanted to be sure. After losing 5 days to rain and only being at the end of my first leg, the need to get home was starting to press. I was very aware of not letting this pressure me into making any bad decisions.

I,will some day do the trip again with more time to stop and look around.

So are there any intrepid flyers out there who have continued east from Forest along the rail line ?

Haven't flown it myself, have always gone the Eyre Hwy route, but others I have talked to who have gone that way usually head north west from Nullarbor roadhouse to pick up the trans line then follow it to Forrest. From there keep following to Kalgoorlie. There are well maintained strips at most all of the sidings if you need a comfort stop. The only iffy factor is rain on the strip, usually after thunderstorms that can make them slippy.

I'm thinking of going again in Sept/Oct this year. What are conditions usually like in those months, Poteroo?

Plan on some rugged wx. It will be blowing 20-30 kts from the NW above 4000ft most days, and stronger in the frontal wx. E to W.....fly low, and inland winds are usually lighter than near the coast. W to E - usually fly above 5000 for strong W/NW winds but if you are close to the coast at that time of year, expect VFR to be difficult due the layers of cloud. Unsealed strips can become very slippery after rain, and it pays to call the roadhouses - but speak to whoever does the refuelling there. happy days,

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

........... E to W.....fly low, and inland winds are usually lighter than near the coast. ..............Unsealed strips can become very slippery after rain, and it pays to call the roadhouses - but speak to whoever does the refuelling there.............

Hi Poteroo - invaluable advise . Much appreciated

Still hoping that someone has advise / information regarding fuel/rest stops due east of Forrest (further down the railway line). The one place I have found on the, almost direct, rout Forrest - Broken Hill is GLENDAMBO Shell station near to bush strip - has yet to respond to my enquiry regarding ULP/accommodation/transport to/from airfield (3 km).

Really interested in this thread. Bought my RV at Jandakot and flew it back with a friend about 8 years ago. And planning a trip to WA in the RV9A later this year. Spoke to the RV owners at Avalon who had flown in from the west and their advice was that September - early October would be the best time to go. But can't claim any personal knowledge.

• Helpful 1

Hi Poteroo - invaluable advise . Much appreciatedStill hoping that someone has advise / information regarding fuel/rest stops due east of Forrest (further down the railway line). The one place I have found on the, almost direct, rout Forrest - Broken Hill is GLENDAMBO Shell station near to bush strip - has yet to respond to my enquiry regarding ULP/accommodation/transport to/from airfield (3 km).

My two bob's worth. The track Forrest, Ceduna, Broken Hill is almost the same, within a mile, of the Forrest, Glendambo, Broken Hill track. The track via Ceduna puts you much closer to active airstrips like Nullabour, Ceduna, Whyalla, Port Augusta, Port Pirie and Peterborough. If you track via these points you will only add 19 nmiles to the track and be closer to road and population.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My two bob's worth. The track Forrest, Ceduna, Broken Hill is almost the same, within a mile, of the Forrest, Glendambo, Broken Hill track. The track via Ceduna puts you much closer to active airstrips like Nullabour, Ceduna, Whyalla, Port Augusta, Port Pirie and Peterborough. If you track via these points you will only add 19 nmiles to the track and be closer to road and population.

Good advise Col - my plane was to make my outward bound trip E-W

NSW - Camden / Griffith / Mildura, SA - Port Pirie / Ceduna / Nullarbor, WA - Caiguna / Kalgoorlie / Serpentine.

Originally going to return W-E same way but the desire to see different country and Poteroo's advice:

"........The small amount of 'frontal' wx is usually moderate intensity, fast moving, not extending far north from the coast, and gone in a few hours ...."

Plus a few other comments regarding the slightly more northerly/inland rout/hospitality at Forrest, etc, has got me interested.

I am not in the "game" to be particularly efficient but to have fun/ be challenged and above all to be SAFE.

Further the lack of information coming in regarding Forrest - Broken Hill has me intrigued. There are some interesting places on this track eg Rawnsley Park / Wilpena Pound possibly a bit of a longer stop over.

• Like 1

I have flown the Nullarbor roadhouse - broken hill route quite a few times and always stop in at Mount Ive station for fuel and or accomodation. Very welcoming people, 98 oct fuel available, cheap shearers quarters up to restored stone quarters. Food, BBQ packs and alcohol available at the shop.

Cheers rick

• Informative 2

Hi Rick - have checked out the location of Mt Ive Station. Thank for the info/recommendation, looks good. Bit south of what I am trying to investigate. All good "grist to the mill".

At this stage can afford and must keep an open mind as to my eastbound track.

The track I have provisional made is:

WA - Serpentine / Kalgoorlie / Forrest. SA - Oodea / Glendambo / Rawnsley Station NSW - Broken Hill / Ivanhoe / Forbes / Camden

The bit that I am finding it difficult to research is the Forrest / Oodea / Glendambo / Rawnsley Station / Broken Hill section.

Oodea would be just a bladder relieving & leg stretching stop, with the possibility of transferring fuel carried in bladders.

Alternate to Oodea, would be Maralinga, if allowed to land, or one of the other bush strips along the railway line, such as Kingoonya

Glendambo has the potential to provide ULP and accommodation - if I can make contact .

I would plan to leave the railway line in the vicinity of Woomera then direct to Rawnsley

Rawnsley Station has the potential to provide ULP and accommodation and possibly an extended stay to check out Wilpena Pound.

Broken Hill, I think its fair to assume good and plentiful supply of ULP

The rest is the home Utrecht and back on familiar territory

Narrowing this down, what I real need is some comment on fuel availability between Oodea & Rawnsley Station. If I can find a usable airstrip close to ULP that secures the "leg" in question then I can hope for a safe flight.

In the absence of some other intrepid flyer having flown/willing to comment on this rout, I will start from scratch and check out each possible location for a landing & ULP.

Thanks Rick - By chance, I checked out Kingoonya on Google last night and saw that the airfield is right on the edge of the settlement - don't think there was mention of a fuel station, so your info is great news.

Another option could be Forrest - Cook (along the railway) - Maralinga (nice big airstrip - I think you can get permission to land there now) - Coober Pedy (Avgas as the AD and probably mogas from town) - William Creek (avgas) - Leigh Creek (avgas) or Arkaroola (used to be avgas available) - BHI.

I have also refueled at Olympic Dam but it is a long way from Forrest and requires prior permission to land.064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif I don't think Woomera is a viable option.

Check the NOTAMs carefully if you plan to go through the Woomera Restricted areas. 094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

There is a member on here who has posted a few episodes of his flight in an RV7, he would be a great contact, his blog is Australian Adventure I am sure he would have heaps of info to share for you.

Alternatively go to YouTube and type in Australian Adventure ✈️

• Like 1