Looking a jet bussines

Hi, I am thinking of buy a small private jet, something old but still flying, someone could give me some brand recommendation or until what year is recommended. I do not know if it is worth fixing and if it comes out as expensive as new, which initially I do not think. The point is that there are in the world market several jets on sale attractive and still flying appreciations. For example I have been able to look at several Learjet 24, 24D and 55. Prices range from 100,000 USD up to 430,000 USD. The idea is to initially buy one, make it serve to put it optimally and offer the services in Spain, mainly Madrid. What I do not really handle is the possible set-up cost so I can pass all the required inspections.

If anyone would like to comment, I would appreciate it a lot ..

I think he means if you had $2 million to begin with, before long you would only have $1 million left. In other words, what you propose is likely to be a very expensive exercise. I'm not sure that anyone on this forum would be able to give you a realistic assessment of likely costs.

Thanks for your comment, I had already thought that the former forista had been ironic but I did not want to give importance. Where do you think you could get a better help?

Probably go to a jet charter operator in Spain, or maybe an aircraft broker as you have already been looking at aircraft for sale, and ask them. The aircraft broker will probably try to make it sound cheaper than it really would be, and the charter operator may not be interested in talking to his future competitor, but you have to start somewhere.

The early Lear's are not certified for single-pilot operations, IIRC. Factor that into your costings. RVSM compliance might be another hurdle if not already fitted

I would suggest most of that stuff has been used for training and is design obsolete. Newer versions are so much more efficient. I doubt the older stuff will be competitive in range, quietness or payload and MUCH more expensive to maintain. People selling them have the right idea. Nev

I had already thought that the former forista had been ironic but I did not want to give importance.

That's fine, but my humour doesn't deny the truth.

You don't wake up one morning and just decide to own a business jet, the purchase price is insignificant relative to owning and flying costs. I wouldn't accept one for free, and you had better have a barrel load of money to carry you through to a fully operational business break even point.

A person who had similar ideas would be better off looking for a Cessna 210 or Beech Bonanza 6 people carrier ilk.

I seem to remember some years ago reading why those early business jets were so cheap to buy. The article said that it was because they were so fuel inefficient that they cost a fortune to fly. You might look into this. When I win the $30M lotto I might buy a more recent one.

The reliability of those engines is exceptional and there are risks of pilot's not managing engine failures well that make the statistics not so bad for a single engine ops where different procedures are taught to deadstick to suitable fields.. If you have a couple of crappy worn out 540's and one fails overloading the other means it's not very reliable either, and you have two chances of ending up in that situation . Jet engines are a different matter for reliability, but you still go to the nearest suitable aerodrome with two when one fails. Nev

I'm not particularly fussed with the idea of single engined flight in IMC or night either but what you and I think won't change much, and it's a proven fact that many mishandle assymetric engine power and crash a plane that should have coped. Plenty died in training until simulators came along that accurately imitate the planes handling and performance and some multi engine piston performance is very marginal at max weight for the conditions, when you lose one. Some earlier twins won't fly on one. It just extends the glide. The majority of fatals at Essendon have been twins. Nev

Why not check out a Caproni jet glider. I had a ride in one with Mike Burns at Tocumwal NSW. Fantastic performance! even if it took a lot

of runway to get off. They built a few "short winged" ones for an Italian jet trainer. TRS-18 jet I think.

• Like 1

Am aware of reliability have thousands of hrs behind PT 6's & recip' it's just in a singular installation is simply not for me

For an owner/pilot the SE is probably safer than a twin anyway. You cant do

You are right there, mishandled is the key word. Every crash that has ever been is from human error of some kind. The latest Essendon crash still haunts me

I think for owner/pilots that don't fly frequently and don't train regularly than something like a pc12 or caravan is probably the safest option. The bonus is I think both are the only two singles that are charter IFR legal? Too many stories of Vmc stalls from very capable turboprop twins let along piston twins.

How do the bis jets with engines on the fuselage handle during asymmetric operations? I am guessing there would still be considerable yaw?

I am about to embark on the world of IMC in piston single, and to be honest I am not all that thrilled by the idea. I just want to be able to fly IFR, not interested in IMC...