Training for the unexpected: Flash cards

Thing have been going well, I haven't had a scare for quite a while. Complacency has set in. If something suddenly goes wrong, will I make the right moves?

How do I train for the unexpected?

Harness myself into the aircraft and react appropriately as someone randomly shouts out scenarios from flash cards.

flock of cockatoos directly ahead

engine bay fire

bird strike - prop unbalanced

bird strike - wing fabric ripped open

engine splutters and runs rough

another aircraft approaching head on

electrical failure

engine stops dead

electrical fire in cockpit

oil leak obscuring windscreen

elevator jammed

Any more suggestions?

• Like 1

Lol no I meant OK as in Old Koreela:nod:

He said he hasn't had a scare for quite a while but I know for certain that that isn't the truth! He was a passenger in a car I was driving just the other day so has definitely had a scare recently!007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Still no fee, best flying location there is. Good weather plenty of paddock options:thumb up:

Always more than welcome to pop through and say g'day

Am planing to fly up to see the folks in Kingscliff & leave my plane at Murwillumbah . First stop YTEM 2nd stop YGDH but never thought of YQDI, got fuel there? Gotta find out also to see if Murwillumbah is open to other than float planes!:-)

Only Jet A1 at YQDI.

Answer from Human Factors hidden section (did you not get the memo) - Take an two anxiety pills and one antidepressant, then a drink a bottle of red and go to bed. You THEN only have to worry if the bed rotates and you fall out of it.

• Haha 1

my instructor gave me flash card and instruction to open when i got to the training area. i should get my wife to write some. but i have some concerns about that idea

• Haha 1

my instructor gave me flash card and instruction to open when i got to the training area. i should get my wife to write some. but i have some concerns about that idea

that's a good idea, I only gave it a funny thinking of the wife.

Old K maybe we should get together and write each other some flash cards and organise a morning to go through them.

• 4 months later...

Here's a few:

Door pops open just on lift off

Door pops open on final approach

ASI stops increasing at say climb speed minus 10 knots

ASI freezes at cruise speed

Tacho fails in flight

Decreasing oil pressure, but no change in oil temp / power

Electric fuel gauges drop to zero 1 hour into a flight with 4 hours endurance

Aircraft starts rolling when raising or extending flaps

Total electrical system failure

Alternator fails

Thanks, people. I thought this old thread had been forgotten.

I recently had a total electrical failure. First one ever, so my response was far from practiced.

As I'd only lost the engine instruments it was not a major problem; I can fly pretty safely without them, but as a precaution I landed to sort it out. After wasting an hour looking for someone with a multimeter, a passing aviator took an interest. He quickly noticed something I'd missed: the bloody main circuit breaker had popped out.

First time in the ten years since I installed it and then forgotten it. I'd left the landing lights on too long after takeoff. How embarrassment.

• Like 1

Thanks, people. I thought this old thread had been forgotten.I recently had a total electrical failure. First one ever, so my response was far from practiced.

As I'd only lost the engine instruments it was not a major problem; I can fly pretty safely without them, but as a precaution I landed to sort it out. After wasting an hour looking for someone with a multimeter, a passing aviator took an interest. He quickly noticed something I'd missed: the bloody main circuit breaker had popped out.

First time in the ten years since I installed it and then forgotten it. I'd left the landing lights on too long after takeoff. How embarrassment.

Don't be too concerned O K , has happened to many . You're only human ... Bob