Flying in the US on an RA-Aus pilot cert

Hey Scott,

This is not gospel, I am only making an educated guess, but it may be a good idea to email a flight school near where you want to go in USA, and inquire what they need for you to fly there. I know our RPC is only valid in Australia, but I do think it would not be that difficult to get your training and experience recognized. Their LSA category is very similar to our 3 axis category, even the medical standard is the same, that is, ok if you hold a drivers license. I would be surprised if you had to do anything more that do a flight test, after sending them your paperwork.

• Like 1

Hey Scott,This is not gospel, I am only making an educated guess, but it may be a good idea to email a flight school near where you want to go in USA, and inquire what they need for you to fly there. I know our RPC is only valid in Australia, but I do think it would not be that difficult to get your training and experience recognized. Their LSA category is very similar to our 3 axis category, even the medical standard is the same, that is, ok if you hold a drivers license. I would be surprised if you had to do anything more that do a flight test, after sending them your paperwork.

Thanks for that Tony. Your mention of paperwork has given me the idea to take my pilot log with me when I go.

• Agree 1

I've got a USA CPL and recently been researching my next visit. Their drivers licence medical requires you to hold a drivers licence of a state of the USA and that requires you to be a resident of that state which requires the correct visa etc. (I haven't checked all of the states ...)

Visit the FAA website to see what your options are and email them as they are very helpful.

• Like 1

This answer is based on what I can remember from the past and a quick 5 min FAA regulations search.

I don't believe you can use your pilot certificate for a conversion, or for recognition of hours in the U.S. As the pilot certificate is not an icao recognised licence/certificate it basically amounts to squat outside of Australia and I don't believe they will recognise it at all unfortunately.

This is from there regulation 14 CFR Part 61, Section 61.75 (which is referenced on the FAA foreign licence conversion web page). I'm

§ 61.75 Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.

(a)General. A person who holds a foreign pilot license at the private pilot level or higher that was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may apply for and be issued a U.S. private pilot certificate with the appropriate ratingsif the foreign pilot license meets the requirements of this section.

To me that reads you need a PPL or higher (which is recognised by ICAO) to do the conversion.

There might be some other exemption buried somewhere but it wasn't immediately forthcoming in the time I had to look, but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've got a USA CPL and recently been researching my next visit. Their drivers licence medical requires you to hold a drivers licence of a state of the USA and that requires you to be a resident of that state which requires the correct visa etc. (I haven't checked all of the states ...)Visit the FAA website to see what your options are and email them as they are very helpful.

years ago I had an Illinois "out of state" licence; I think they would give them to almost anyone.

[quote="

To me that reads you need a PPL or higher (which is recognised by ICAO) to do the conversion.

There might be some other exemption buried somewhere but it wasn't immediately forthcoming in the time I had to look, but I doubt it.

Pretty much correct. I have experience of flying Light Sport/Ultralight aircraft in the USA for several months each year for four years. I couldn't find any way to legally use my RAAus certificate over there. It's not recognized at all. The flying schools that I approached read the rules that I would have to do 20hrs basic training. Only vague indications that if I presented a really official looking logbook they might be able to recognize some of that time. But their system requires that after the training course you must do the final test with an official FAA examiner, who would have to agree to that shortcut, and that didn't seem to be likely..... Before you can even start training you must get clearance from the TSA (Transport Security Authority), fingerprints life history, etc, etc., to make sure you aren't a terrorist.... I jumped through the hoops and passed all that, cause those guys have no sense of humor at all if I got caught out..... Then I went and did the aero medical, cause it's not possible to get a drivers license in most states these days without proving history of residence (except South Dakota where you only need a receipt for one night in a caravan park to qualify....) Another advantage of doing the medical is that I received a Flight Training License, which doesn't have any real value other than for training but I hoped it would at least show that I had made the effort. The medical was really easy, just listen to my heart, stand on one leg and read a chart. But no way was I going to pay for 20hrs basic training, since I did that 25yrs ago and have 2700hrs experience. Especially since our training system is far more detailed that theirs, (no extra time required for x-country or endorsements over there)..... Then I just went flying, several hundred hours from 150 airfields in many states, and never got questioned. Just must be careful not to cause an incident that would start an investigation.....

You wouldn't be able to rent an aircraft that way. I had my own 'ultralight'. They have an ultralight Part 103 category that requires not training or registration at all, really a strange setup! But they must weight less than 254lbs empty and can only carry 5usgal of fuel, so are pretty flimsy and useless except to get high enough to get killed.... I had an overweight 'ultralight' that would qualify as 95.10 here, so was a really capable aircraft. There are lots of them over there and so long as you stay out of the 'GA big boys' way everyone turns a blind eye, "If it looks like an ultralight and sounds like an ultralight and flies like an ultralight then we'll just pretend it is...." Once again, must be really careful not to get in the way of the 'big boys'.... Most Americans do have a really good attitude of personal freedom, in that "...if you're not interfering with anyone else, just go for it..."

I had intended to buy a Light Sport aircraft, but the catch is that you must be an American citizen or Green Card holder resident to be able to register an aircraft there.....

So it's not easy at all. I think I investigated all possible dodges and had help from sympathetic friends and instructors, but I couldn't find a way around....

If you were to get a PPL here then that is valid over there with just a check ride and a written test to cover differences in rules and airspace, etc, (and probably TSA clearance these terrorist days...) PPL is valid for Light Sport and ultralight aircraft. To rent probably would just need to show a logbook for time on type and go for a check ride.

I hope you can find a way, cause there's some terrific flying over there, especially in the western states.

JG

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

... it's not possible to get a drivers license in most states these days without proving history of residence (except South Dakota where you only need a receipt for one night in a caravan park to qualify....) JG

thanks, I will try that

I had intended to buy a Light Sport aircraft, but the catch is that you must be an American citizen or Green Card holder resident to be able to register an aircraft there.....JG

There are ways for a foreigner to do it legally.

...If you were to get a PPL here then that is valid over there with just a check ride and a written test to cover differences in rules and airspace, etc, (and probably TSA clearance these terrorist days...) PPL is valid for Light Sport and ultralight aircraft. JG

From an Australian PPL: a flight review and a medical. Do a flight review.

...I hope you can find a way, cause there's some terrific flying over there, especially in the western states.JG

Indeed!

South Dakota requires the usual evidence of being a resident.

In 2012 I got a South Dakota license with only a one night receipt, a written test and a short test drive. Many itinerant RV owners with no fixed address go especially to SD to do the same.

I forgot to mention that I also did the written FAA exam for the Light Sport license. This is a fairly comprehensive exam and needs some considerable study. I used the King Schools on-line course, $300 but worth it, and scored 93%. This study is necessary to familiarize the differing rules and airspace designations. There are lots of serious military areas over there, some totally prohibited some shared, and TFRs (Temporary Flight Restrictions) which usually follow the President when travelling around and have 'lethal force' protections not to be messed with....

• Like 1

In 2012 I got a South Dakota license with only a one night receipt, a written test and a short test drive. Many itinerant RV owners with no fixed address go especially to SD to do the same.I forgot to mention that I also did the written FAA exam for the Light Sport license. This is a fairly comprehensive exam and needs some considerable study. I used the King Schools on-line course, $300 but worth it, and scored 93%. This study is necessary to familiarize the differing rules and airspace designations. There are lots of serious military areas over there, some totally prohibited some shared, and TFRs (Temporary Flight Restrictions) which usually follow the President when travelling around and have 'lethal force' protections not to be messed with....

Some years ago, I heard that Delaware is another state that is OK with a receipt from a "trailer park" that shows an address. I am not sure that this is still the case.

In 1990 I was in Rapid City (South Dakota) and hired a 172 and pilot for some flying over the Black Hills and down to Sturgis. I was 'in command' for the entire flight and the pilot just sat there and asked me lots of questions about flying in Australia. It was great fun. He had sighted my licence (PPL) and logbook and was happy with that. The impression I got was that he would have let me go out again without him on board if I wanted. I chose to attend a boozy lunch with some locals instead.Things were so much easier before the 9/11 crap, that is for sure.