RV4

Thunda

G'day.

Just joined and looking for others than own, fly, want or interested in RV4s.

I'm on the lookout for one, I've made an offer on a nice lookin 4 in the west but we can agree on the price.

So I'll try to fund something here.

I'd also like to yarn with anyone on the subject of ozrunways, ipads and Dynon.

As I'm a bit primitive, and technology is changing at a fast rate l'm havin a bit of trouble keepin up.

I use an axe, but I've been told there's chainsaws out there now.

• Like 2

G'day.Just joined and looking for others than own, fly, want or interested in RV4s.

I'm on the lookout for one, I've made an offer on a nice lookin 4 in the west but we can agree on the price.

So I'll try to fund something here.

I'd also like to yarn with anyone on the subject of ozrunways, ipads and Dynon.

As I'm a bit primitive, and technology is changing at a fast rate l'm havin a bit of trouble keepin up.

I use an axe, but I've been told there's chainsaws out there now.

Welcome Thunda

Just don't make the mistake I did...Building an RV- 9 when you would (eventually) need 4 seats. 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gifAnyone want to buy a -9? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

G'day KVaitor.

Thanks for the reply, I'm only interested in the RV4 or an 8.

I don't intend to take passenger's, so single place centre line tail draga is my heart's desire.

With enough room for some tucker, quart pot and light swag.

There are some places out the back of beyond that I've been to in the past that I want to visit again.

I've considered other aircraft like Cessna 188 Ag Wagon, Pawnee, Fatman, Willga etc.

These choices were only to get some gear into where I want to get to.

But dropped the idea, mostly because there unobtainable, too pricey or just cost to much to maintain and run.

Mate!

I'd get old getting there.

And as l said centre line seating and fast.

I need to get from Tassy to central Oz in a day.

Around 150 kts with 6hrs endurance.

I've considered just about everything, and taken advice on other types and evaluated it and rejected it.

I'm not a novice and have owned other planes in the past 40 years, and know what and why I need a certain type of plane.

I understand and genuinely appreciate your suggestion, the Auster can't do it.

Mate!I'd get old getting there.

And as l said centre line seating and fast.

I need to get from Tassy to central Oz in a day.

Around 150 kts with 6hrs endurance.

You won't be getting 6 hours out of an RV-4, with only standard tanks. Or even any LR tanks I know of... At 32 USG (121L) capacity, and using my O-340's 24.2LPH, you've got 4.2 hours endurance before hitting your 18L fixed reserve. Even my -9 I would plan no more than 4:45, leaving around 21L on touchdown. FWIW, I would strongly recommend a -9 if you need cross-country but don't want aerobatic capability, but I am biased. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gifHere's why:

36USG / 135L fuel capacity, greater than the -4, based on standard tanks on both.

A higher aspect ratio wing than the -4, which going by your 6 hour endurance requirement suggests you're doing serious cross-country regularly, so the -9 will be a lot more efficient up high.

The side-by-side aspect, meaning you can actually stretch out on said cross country. Sure it can be done in a -4, but if you're doing it regularly, why not enjoy the trip? Personal preference here, obviously, but I am 6'5...

The availability of 2 x long range tanks that fit behind the seats in the SBS models, that increase your total fuel capacity to 50USG / 189L for the -9, in turn taking your total endurance to 7.0 hrs before your 45 min fixed reserve.

Hotel Whiskey aviation also make LR tanks for the -4, but they're "installed" vs a more temporary fit that you get with Marvin's tanks (which can be permanently mounted too), so unless you built the -4, you'll likely have problems getting them signed off. But if you could do it, they are 4.1 USG a side, bringing your capacity to 40.2 USG for 5.5 hrs before hitting your fixed reserve, so you're still going to have to land halfway if you go for a -4 with the HW tanks.

The RV-4 is slightly faster on the same power, by about 8 smph, than my RV-9, but in saying that, I don't have the gear intersection fairings or NLG leg fairing on yet, so that will probably reduce to 5 smph difference when all is said and done. I cruise at 2400 RPM at 8,500' 55% power burning 24.2 LPH which gives 145 KTAS, and I'm hoping to bring that upto 150 KTAS with a few aerodynamic cleanups later this year.

Even the Vans guys prefer the -9 for long cross-country flights!

Here's a couple of still-air comparisons from Launceston, the RV-4 with the HW tanks cruising at 150 KTAS (5.5Hr end.) and the RV-9 on the bottom, fitted with 2 x LR tanks cruising at 145 KTAS (for 7.0Hr end).

35807229115_54f7e46993_c.jpg

35807229055_b60d2ed21a_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I agree with KRviator re room to move in the -9 and the fuel capacity. I do max 3.5 hr legs in our -9A. In the -4, half that as you can't move about at all. I am only 8' 10" and 70kg.

The other factor to consider is the very small tailwheel on the rougher strips you may encounter out and beyond. I asume you have flown the RV-4 hence your interest in the type.

Mike.

• Agree 3

Thanks you blokes.

KR: interesting stuff, maybe l should explain a little more about my requirements.

The 4 that I'm possibly going to acquire already has the fuel capacity going by the owners figures.

And I have no reason to doubt his word, as he is a professional and apparently has been for a good many years.

The places I intend to get to, do not require flying for 6 hours non stop, and will be landing for a dingos breakfast, but need the fuel reserve to get back out again.

As l have already mentioned l have been to these places before, both flying and off road, and know the requirements.

So by now your starting to get a bit curious about all this. and so far not invasive enough to ask why.

For many years I've been a prospector, also a professional shooter, remote area driller and a professional fisherman on inland rivers and lakes

Driven a lot of miles cross country including the Simpson and some old droveing routes and the dog fence,this was all well before GPS.

I've come across some very interesting places and things, I could drive it again but it's a lot easier by plane.

I only intend staying a few days then come home for a few days or weeks and return again.

There is nothing illegal immoral or indecent about what I'm doing, and doesn't effect anyone else.

In fact if anyone else have a sense of adventure and wanted to accompany me in their own plane, their help would save me some considerable labour.

Not to even mention the safety issues, all my life I've done things on my own and been in some smelly brown stuff

(Don't take that the wrong way) and very lucky to come out the other side smelling like roses, due to good luck and good managment, you only get away with it a certain amount of times.

And the older we get the odds build up.

As long as they could keep their mouth closed about where we've been and what we've been doing.

As most people have mouths like a torn boot, (big enough to whisper in their own ear) l find it very difficult to trust people.

But for the right bloke or blokes it could turn out very profitable.

• More 1