Importing home built Streak Shadow & Training?

Hi,

I'm new on this site and have been planning on starting training i the next few months. I'm returning to Perth Western Australia and am considering importing a home built Streak Shadow 582.

The questions I have are can I train in Australia on a home built ultralight?

Being a home built from kit aircraft (i did not build it) that is registered in the UK, will it be possible to register it in Australia?

As I'm importing it and y suggestions on best methods and bio security? I've looked at self load containers and organising a customs broker in Perth but am concerned the budget may blow out with the related unknown checks, permits, inspections, duty and GST. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The aircraft has done 700 hours with a 582 mtow 408kg built 1990.

Thanks

Can't help with the importation into Australia I'm afraid Mr. Pimlico Sir,. . .just wanted to comment that I've always liked the Shadow series, having flown the 503 version for many happy hours. Not so much fun if you're in the back seat mind ! Unless it has the later fuselage mod with more legroom. I flew one with a new ownner for AEX whilst in the rear seat a couple of times, but it was a bit on the tight side and if I wasn't very careful, each time I thurned my head to lookout, the damned headset would jam against the tubes above and I'd end up with the ear cup over my nose. . . .

Later on, because I eat too much, ( And consequently have an enhanced SHADOW ! ) I had to pack it in, as the pitch trim needed adjusting every time I flew from the 'Glider Like' front seat,. . (.brilliiant visibility all around ) and I loved the sidestick control. . but it was a little bit narrow in the pitch balance envelope department as designer Dave Cook would agree. . . . the last time I flew it, I had to make seven landing attempts at our small airfield ( 380M runway ) as I couldn't slow the bloody thing down below 70 MPH with full nose up trim. . . ! I didn't know that the owner had got someone to permanently alter the trim range as he was a little runt, . . .and it suited his weight.

There are still several of these flying in the UK, as you are probably aware. I didn't get a chance to fly the 582 version, regrettably. . .

You should be able to glean the info you need from the worthies on this site. . .

Good fortune.

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi,I'm new on this site and have been planning on starting training i the next few months. I'm returning to Perth Western Australia and am considering importing a home built Streak Shadow 582.

The questions I have are can I train in Australia on a home built ultralight?

Being a home built from kit aircraft (i did not build it) that is registered in the UK, will it be possible to register it in Australia?

As I'm importing it and y suggestions on best methods and bio security? I've looked at self load containers and organising a customs broker in Perth but am concerned the budget may blow out with the related unknown checks, permits, inspections, duty and GST. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The aircraft has done 700 hours with a 582 mtow 408kg built 1990.

Thanks

Unless you are acquiring the Streak Shadow at a give-away purchase price in the UK (like, next to nothing) I'd suggest you investigate what a 27 year old similar ultralight w/ 700 hrs would cost you in OZ dollars on your Perth doorstep. No problems with training in the S.S. here once you've found an instructor, as you would be declared the 1st owner/builder once it's brought on the RAA register. Though I didn't need or plan to flight-train in it, I brought a kit-built biplane from USA into Perth a couple of years back (me being the 4th owner) and had no problems w/ import and RAA registration however, Aust Quarantine have very inflexible (but manageable) regulations re cleanliness and packing for import. Poncing around with export/import agents, container shipping, local transport both ends, clearing fees, etc, etc, ad-infinitum, cost me about (A)$9 grand. If you proceed, I'd suggest you first contact Tech Mgr, Recreational Aviation Aust to get the precise & up-to-date requirements for all aspects of your plans, then get comparative figures from at least two agents who would work on your behalf (then add about 3 grand). As previously said, methinks you'd have to have an extremely specific love for that very aircraft in order to justify the end result. PM me if you need any further discouragement. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif cheers Riley

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Hi Phil and Riley,

Thank you for your comments, I would very much like to take a Shadow with me as they are few and far between in Australia unfortunately but after investigating and considering the shipping costs the price of the aircraft would at least double just to get it there and through customs quarantine. A 20 foot container was quoted as £2300 but only to Fremantle, I would have to sort out everything for it's arrival and processing which would add considerably more to the bill.

As Riley kindly pointed out there seems to be more sense in finding something other than a Shadow in Australia. The only thing is there doesn't seem to be so many used ultralights for sale in Western Australia. Still, moving something from the east coast should be a lot less complicated than bring it from the UK.

Thanks again for your help, does anyone know a very good used ultralight website like AFORS but for Australia?

Hi bexrbetter and fly-tornado, thank you for your comments,

Yes, good old gum tree is one place I have looked in the past. In Queensland there used to be the print version of the Trading Post. I had a look online and it looks like Amazon have bought them out and are blocking the site to overseas viewers for some reason? Looks like I'll have to use a free proxy server service to view it for now.

Thanks regarding the 40' containers, what we are taking to Australia would all fir in a 20' with a Shadow but shipping the household contents on their own is under £1000. The problem seems to be unless I'm importing a fairly new / low hour mush more expensive aircraft shipping will almost double the outlay. It looks most likely I will continue my hunt for an ultralight when I get to Perth.

I do know of one or what I think is a shadow that has been hanger bound for the last couple of years. Not sure why it hasn't flown so could need some work. If you want me to make some inquiries let me know.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for everyones comments, I'll be on the look out for an ultralight for sale so please let me know if anyone has one for sale. I'll have to consider different types as it is unlikely there would be an affordable Shadow for sale any time soon.

A mate of mine has a Quicksilver GT500 for sale..but there is a guy I think that looks like snookering it but will let you know if it falls through...he is on here and its in the classifieds...Cosmick is his name on here

Thanks for the info on the Quicksilver, I'll keep it in mind. It will be a few weeks before I get back. There seems to be very few ultralights for sale in the Perth region so I might have to look at bringing one over from the east coast, it was one of the reasons I originally thought about shipping one from the UK.