ROTAX 915 IS TURBO | 140 HP ENGINE

Downunder

California Power Systems now have this engine listed on their website.

US $ 35 000/ A$44 200 ( Probably not the same price locally but gives an idea)

ROTAX 915 IS TURBO | 140 HP ENGINE from California Power Systems

915is_140hp.jpg.b204726b9954f2a83d928a4de77b7d68.jpg

Available second half of 2017

DESCRIPTION

• 4-cylinder

• 4-stroke liquid/air-cooled engine with opposed cylinders

• Dry sump forced lubrication with separate oil tank, automatic adjustment by hydraulic, valve tappet

• Redundant electronic fuel injection, ignition, ECU

• Engine management system

• Electric starter

• Propeller speed reduction gearbox

• Air intake system

• Turbocharger and intercooler

• Target TBO (Time between overhauls) 2,000 hours

• Efficiency: 280 - 310 g/kWh BFSC at 5,500 rpm

• Service Ceiling of 23,000 feet

FACTS

Based on the proven concept of the Rotax 912 / 914 engine series, the Rotax 915 iS engine offers more power, the best power-to-weight ratio in its class, full take-off power up to at least 15,000 feet (4,570 m) and a service ceiling of 23,000 feet (7,010 m).

Like all other Rotax products, it's over priced. Every time I have to rebuild my 582 (it's on an SLSA so I have no choice) it's about $1800 to $2100 depending on what's needed. It's a 2 cylinder 2 stroke for goodness sake. Personally I'm sick of Rotax gouging the light sport market. Hoping UL Power, Hirth, Jaburu and others can put a nick in the market.

• Agree 2

$50,000 by the time it's fitted, holy smoke.

The 170hp Viking Honda Turbo is a genuine alternative to this at sub $20K fitted fly away - and parts at your local Honda dealership.

• Agree 2

Based on an engine that's probably delivering well over what it's designed for with Rotax's own turbo. To develop lots more power the basic engine would have had to be overdesigned to a large degree. I don't believe it is/was. Turbo's don't need more revs from the engine but all the heat has to be able to be handled, and that's not just a bigger radiator. Nev

Based on an engine that's probably delivering well over what it's designed for with Rotax's own turbo. To develop lots more power the basic engine would have had to be overdesigned to a large degree. I don't believe it is/was. Turbo's don't need more revs from the engine but all the heat has to be able to be handled, and that's not just a bigger radiator. Nev

I think that many of the parts for the 915 have been upgraded and are not the same as the 912 series. Getting 135hp (rotaxs claim) from 1.4l at 5800rpm means that the turbo isn't putting in a lot of effort. The big benefit will be at altitude..

The price though puts it well outside the realm of affordable aviation. May as well but a Lycoming....

• Agree 2

I once had a plane with two Lycoming 0-360s with factory fitted turbochargers that ONLY restored sea level power up to about 10,000 feet. Just about everything in those motors was different from the standard engine/ Piston oiler jets, thicker head and cyinders, long reach plugs, different cases and more.. They wouldn't do that unless it was needed.

I had a look at the people doing that engine (Rotax) Good work but a lost cause in my view. So often you must start completely from scratch . I hope for their sake I'm wrong but I've seen that sort of thing before Nev

$20,000 AUD more than the brand-new OX-340 I installed in my RV-9, but it would actually pay for itself in about 1800 hrs based on a 50c/L saving of Mogas/Avgas. Would probably be sooner based on the lower fuel burn of the Rotax, depends how long you want to keep your RV...If I was starting out, I'd still give it serious thought, but in saying that, a low-compression OX-340 with SDS EFI will run Mogas no problems, give great high altitude efficiency, but won't sustain that performance into the flight levels as well as the -915.

• Informative 1

Thank you .To me it wasn't clear that it was as supplied by the factory. 140 HP seems high and so's the price. Having a fairly restrictive time limit on it at high power is not a good indication. That usually means you are using the engine as a heat sink. Nev

Expensive it may be but they do have a fairly good reputation generally and as much as people moan and groan about slippery plastic fantastics they do sell fairly well and this engine will fit in perfectly and will no doubt compete pretty well in the four seater market.

• Agree 1

One of the overlooked advantages of the 912 is that an FAR 33 fully certificated version is available, the 912S.

I'm not sure there is much difference in reality between the 912 S and the "uncertificated" version, the 912 ULS. Perhaps "undocumented" might be a better term. I reckon the parts would most likely come from the same bin and the extra cost is amortising the certification cost, and perhaps some extra parts testing.

I'm sure the 915 will also eventually appear, if not already, in both versions.

So in my opinion a 912ULS is as close as you can get to the standards of a certificated engine without it actually technically being one.

Peter

• Agree 2

....... will no doubt compete pretty well in the four seater market.

Or fast high end twin seaters which in the past have been limited to 912 ULS or 914.....

40% more power may give 15 or 20 kts extra if slippery enough. Then add "normalization" at altitude as well....

How would it go in a Jab 230? Ignoring the price of course.....lol