Can you employ someone to build your kit aircraft. Example VH RV or RAA Zenith

SSCBD

I respectfully think you have applied "solely" inappropriately. Solely for education /recreation is the clue. Major portion covers the actual construction which is anything above half as it applies. If someone helps you with say the fabric, you would be educated by that process if you were advised and participated in it. IF you just did it by yourself you might not learn much except that you don't know how to cover a plane. Nev

And I'd disagree that paying someone build a plane is anything other than completely outside both the intent and legal basis of RAAus 19 reg under CAO95.55 - if it's a kit you cannot pay someone to assemble it for you and be confident that it will be within CAO95.55 to get 19 reg.

If you want someone to build your plane under 95.55 it's going to be coming out of a factory that's approved or accepted and it's not going to get 19 reg but a factory reg and you are then within a fixeddesign and maintenance regime.

The kit system is for amateurs to build primarily for their recreation or education. The fact that they indeed to sell the aircraft at the end is not critical - it's perfectly acceptable to serial build in retirement to keep yourself entertained. And yes I can see all you really need is a register of crusty old farts with time in their hands and a background in building and you could walk around this a bit.

But I would suggest that people google the spitfire accident reports and the chequebook build that went on there to see just how a court looked at this area.

I would suggest that nobody wants casa looking too deeply into builds of 19 reg airframes if this starts becoming more widely done.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be good and bad examples in each camp. The spitfire thing was a total corruption and is in no way typical or indicative of any kind of outcome from either farmed out or done all by yourself. to whatever degree you might evaluate. I suggest people building in groups sharing information is the most educative and efficient of what's out there. The 51% build was a formula designed to suit an era that is somewhat "back there". The principle is fine, provided one has a clue what they are doing. What construction reference books has AUF or RAAus produced? They did print off at cost (or near) AC 43.13-!B/2A

"Acceptable Methods, Techniques and Practices AIRCRAFT INSPECTION, REPAIR & ALTERATIONS which is ESSENTIAL for everyone working on this stuff... MY copy is dated Sept 1998. Who is actually BUILDING and repairing ? From WHERE are they getting their real skills and keeping in touch? Nev