How to stop grocerie tossing??

motzartmerv

Hi guys...One of our favourite (my missus and i) things to do is fly to small towns around sydney and stay the night in a motel (with no kids) and return the next day...We have done this about 5 or 6 times, and half the time the wife has tossed the groceries (chucked up) when we approach to land..Now before ya say its my fault, most of these approaches have been in good air and quite smooth..i think its nerves doing it and not the bouncy bouncy..Has anyone got any tips for stopping this?? ahe doesnt mind flying at all and says it doesn't ruin her flight, but still..i would like her to be able to watch a landing or 2 rather then the bottom of the complementary chuck bag...

Mate you are going to have to get a good supply! Often its a negative G thing that causes the final fling! I have some friends who swear by the pressure point wrist bands and another one a pulse generator, bit like a watch and it zapps the wrist.

This "electric shock therapy seems to be the most effective according to one user. The zap is almost unnoticable after a while and its very much a tingly thing than the jolt of a cattle prod!

Ask the pharmacy folk!

J

Only the obvious one, make sure she keeps her eyes outside the aircraft at all times from beginning the descent to touchdown, preferably on the horizon.

Well, its probably time for me to fess up and say that i'm Yak-Happy - i.e I have a tendancy to throw up at the slightest bounceyness. This hasn't gone away at all, despite me having 35 hours or so in my logbook. I feel very sorry for my instructor.

However, hopefully some of the stuff i've learnt is helpful:

The thing that i've found works very well indeed is Kwells - with these i just don't get sick. However some people go to sleep once they've been given these, so try them out with another pilot in the plane - ready to take over. Personally i get about 3.5hrs before i start to feel mildly drowsy, and i don't seem to get worse than that. Take 30 minutes before departure (40 in rough conditions). They also make me thirsty, and I develop a sore throat if I dont drink, so take plenty of water (camelback is good for this - gets it out of the way, and easy to take a drink from even while flying).

Ginger travelcalms work so-so, that gives me about 40-50 minutes of flying in slightly bumpy conditions.

Normal travelcalms are a no go for me. I get very drowsy about 20 minutes after taking them, sleep is about 5 minutes after that. The maximum i can handle is a quater tablet, and i got sick about 25 minutes into that flight (relatively calm day).

Blackmoore's ginger tablets dont seem to work at all.

Sea-Bands I cant really tell for sure - I've always had them with something else. They seem to give me another 10-20minutes on the ginger tablets, with kwells i probably don't need them, but at this point i'm not risking changing what works.

Ginger beer doesn't seem to make much difference, apart from an added ability to burp in a fantastic manner.

Avoid dairy products - definately no yoghurt (not even on the top of muesli bars)! Inflight meals should be leafy salads, maybe with a small amount of meat (beef, lamb, chicken, whatever) for flavour. Lay off the oil based dressings (lemon juice is nice). Dont have too many lollies.

When you start to feel sick get on the ground again as soon as possible. Fresh Air helps, as does being comfortable temperature wise (or even slightly cold). Being too hot is definately a problem. Give it at least 1 hour before going back up (longer is better), and dont if your still feeling queesy.

Apparantly there is a kwell's with caffine, which would get rid of the drowsyness problem. If you can find a chemist which sells it, please let me know.

Looking up and out at the scenary is much better than looking in at maps/gps/in dash tvs (anybody got one?)/laptops or cameras. Don't look down out of the side of the plane - this puts your head in just about the worst possible position if you cop a bounce. Looking down, out the side and backwards is worse. If your doing a nav, keep the looks at the map/writing on the plan, doing calcs, etc as short as reasonably possible (but dont skimp). Hold the wizzy wheel up when you use it, so you can see out as well as the wheel.

Turtle - the lemon idea sounds like it would work quite well, i'll have to try it.

Hope it helps. Being air/sea sick sucks, though it provides endless amusement to others ;)

sorry for the long post.

Guest Fred Bear

I don't get air sick but suffer severe sea sickness :yuk: I find a good supply of fresh air is nice, open up all those vents and avoid any sort of heat. Cool towel on neck worked for me too in the ocean. Probably a good idea to avoid excess alc the night before but if you are on what Emma and I call 'a dirty weekend without the kids' this will probably be impossible. Know what I mean ;)

Sea sickness......coupla Crownies fixes that......flying.....not usre but I am not so sure about the Crownies

Dont get sick either way......but Crownies is an option!

Guest disperse

I've only done 7 hours since starting, and immediately had the chucky problem. NERVES

feeling comfortable and confident __ No sicky sicky

Get nervous about anything ____ And the plane stinks for a week.

Did like Bunderberg ginger beer cause its full of real ginger

relax and take in the scenery ......

I had the same problem on my very first flying lesson. After an unsuccessfull search for a chucky bag my instructor was very impressed by the way I was able to throw up down the inside of my shirt and not make a mess of the plane. I have been taking Kwells ever since and have not had any further probs.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I don't get airsick, and have been able to eat salami and cheese sandwiches in front of my friends when we were fishing in rough conditions. They were not impressed.

But I have found with others that placebo pills and solutions are often very effective.

As long as you are sure you will not get airsick, you are fine. Also try to give her a job to concentrate on, like get her to watch something outside the plane just in case, or help land somehow.

No-one is seasick when they have a fish on the line, and I don't think people get airsick when fishing either.

Diversional therapy

Hi guys

My wife continually threw up or felt sick when flying with me on the SMOOOOOTH days, but the rough thermally ones she was fine, I am sure it was the fear factor and the white knuckle experience while hanging onto the framework thinking that this was going to stop the plane falling apart in mid air.

The more time a person has to feel/think about being sick the worse they become, I got the wife involved in flying the plane and helping out with being the co-pilot and this worked great. I gave her the choice one day as I remember many years ago either help out or bail out or suffer the consequences of having a pair of vice grips from my tool box hanging from her ear lobe just tight enough to hurt and take away that sick feeling. Yes I was joking at the time about the vice grips and bailing out but one would try just about anything at that point in time where death sounds to be the better option. I myself suffer chronic sea sickness when out on a rocky boat fishing or trying to don my scuba gear for a dive and would happily throw myself in shark infested waters to end the sickness!!!

A mate of mine always filled my shopping bags with his chunda no matter what type of day it was however loved the experience of flight and said it was all worth it. I offered to take him up to Natfly about 5 years ago so he filled himself (as per directions) up on those over the pharmacy counter type meds 'travacalm?' some 24 hours prior and this was the first time I have ever seen him not feel sick and actually 100% enjoyed himself.

So just to recap on my thoughts: 1; try and get the pax involved with the control over the flight, a little pressure is sometimes a good thing "cruel to be kind" 2; have some chunda bags handy, 3; drugs drugs and more drugs prior to the flight BUT in accordance with the manufactures directions and read the fine print and precautions on other health conditions like high blood pressure/other medications used etc etc. I have tried those accu-pressure type alternative treatments and herbal remedies but found them ineffective I am sorry to say.

I hope I may have helped someone out with my experiences within the rhelms of avoidable air sickness.

Knighty

Lots of good suggestions so far. Directing their eyes out to the horizon is important....tell them to not look down, particularly in turns.

The other item which my wife, ( a fair weather flyer nowdays,having done her time in PNG), requires is a good handhold. I have fitted one to every aircraft we've had, and it seems to give her a better feeling of security. It at least limits the sway of the upper body in turbulence as they can brace 'against' the handhold.

Of course, the pilot needs to fly smoothly and try to take out the roll and yaw with co-ordinated control inputs. If you are a low hours pilot, then go out and do some co-ordination training by rolling 45 deg L to R to L to R etc etc.....but doing it with the ball at all times in the centre. Get your feet moving !

Sometimes it's a simple matter of slowing down in rough air......your Va should come to mind anyway

happy days,