new 582 head

fly_tornado

Nope....the only thing they mention is a common spark plug for all Rotax engines.

The twin electrode is irrelevant, they have switched from a 14mm plug to a 12mm plug

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

I’ve also heard that the spark plug cap is different as well and a special tool has to be purchased to remove the plug from the cap otherwise you may break the porcelain on the plug, also heard the new 12mm spark plugs are $25 per plug

Nope....the only thing they mention is a common spark plug for all Rotax engines.The twin electrode is irrelevant, they have switched from a 14mm plug to a 12mm plug

The new plugs (custom made Bosch) do feature twin electrodes but other than that are not Iridium or Platinum.

They are fitted to new 912 series engines but are interchangeable with the NGK's I believe.

$22 USD !!...ROTAX SPARK PLUG 297-656 from California Power Systems

I see it as a pure money grab.

They have said there is nothing wrong with the NGK's.... so I see no point in paying 5 or 6 times as much for no difference in reliability or performance.

If anything, those running avgas, would see these plugs fouling faster in my opinion...

It's even worse for 2 stroke owners as they change plugs more often.

And it (was) lucky NGK BR8** plugs are very cheap...

Just another spare parts rip-off that Rotax inflict on their customers....

• Agree 1

Smaller plugs will foul easier. There's plenty of room for the bigger ones that are current and more commonplace. Multiple electrodes have been around for nearly 100 years. There's never been any demonstrated advantage and they are nearly impossible to regap. Nev

If I had one of these new engines, I'd be going over to the 912 ngk's when required.

DCPR8E's or DCPR7E'S......

You could probably flog 1 set of the new plugs (unused) and buy 4 sets of NGK's.....lol.

I haven't heard of any particular "brand" of plug being excluded but the type should be looked at.. Way back One particular type of Champion plug was approved for the 130 HP (DH) Gypsy 1-C motors. for Aviation use.. Nev

I thought NGK plugs are prohibited for aircraft use

Every Rotax dealer worldwide will sell you NGK plugs.

I have no doubt they are probably not the only component "not approved for aircraft use" by the manufacturer, in use in aviation engines. The old vdo oil pressure gauges were also specifically prohibited for aircraft use, but Rotax fitted them anyway...

The enigma of manufacturer liability......Perhaps if you purchased from the engine manufacturer, that is ok, but from elsewhere it is not. Seems a bit silly though, for the exact same part.....

And for Nev, leads are copper cored....

Copper cored is fine, and not too common to buy these days. With aircraft you can't be too careful. The ideal set up is have a low tension supply to individual coils near the plug. This covers higher altitude work as well. Shielded leads give radio suppression with the magnetos but have their own problems one being cost.. Nev