Gregory

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Greg, congrats on your new Drifter, what was the setup with tailwheel/skid? Nothing wrong with the small solid tailwheel, I changed mine from pneumatic to a smaller solid one on the advice of the Drifter guru's. The factory did the same with the later S.B. model

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Tony and thanks

The gentalman who owned it prefered a skid rather than a tail wheel but i prefer a tail wheel so ive added a temp wheel but will refine it as i become more familiar with my aircraft .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hey Greg, how's the red rocket going. and merc - can you let me know the reasoning behind changing the bigger pneumatic wheel to the smaller solid one?cheers

BP

The pneumatic tailwheel can put excessive side loading on the boom/ rudder post. Most Drifters that have them usually have reinforcement "gloves" fitted.

I find the smaller tailwheel allows you to fly the drifter more like a true taildrager, you have more angle of attack sitting on the ground so you can get off shorter and also land shorter. I should also mention that I have 800 x 6 main wheels.

Kiwi.DSC_2434.JPG.12bdcab89455f464f477f107d3eaf708.JPG

• Agree 1

Hey thanks for the info Kiwi, nice to hear from you - how's the little lamb going??? Did you always have the 800x6 wheels? They don't look like the ones you used to have on 404 when she was at Boonah...

just wondering, what take-off method do you use - just let it fly off, or lift the tailwheel and then rotate? btw, did you see that post about the guys from Victoria doing a run to Airlie Beach and back in June '18? I asked them if I could tag along for the Queensland legs, haven't heard back from them yet...

Greg, m8 - holy cow - that's what you call a "good check over" - the inspection going all good so far? You've got a Drifter Legend watching this thread with K1W1 on board, what he doesn't know about Drifters ain't worth knowing - he even knows how to crash 'em !!!!!

BP

he even knows how to crash 'em !!!!!BP

Hi crop duster Dave,

Haven't crashed a Drifter...... yet. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

For soft field (or to see how short I can get off the ground) I use full back stick, then once airborne hold it in ground effect.

404 used to have 600 x 6 mains

Andrew

Hi BP, yep the inspection is going good, not only checking for anything wrong but getting to know the aircraft inside and out

A question for KIWI if i may ? Are those tires on a 6" rim , they look great ,

Cheers Greg.

Hi Greg,

This is from Merc, he is having trouble posting photos........

Pneumatic wheel uses same spring, tail sits 6 inches higher.

Small wheel trails behind pivot point, big wheel is underneath.

Notice reinforcing boot on boom.

Resized_20171112_155245.jpeg.7a69092afa0437ea7a376b8fc789119a.jpeg

And from me..

Yes the 800 x 6 are on the standard rims, if you are going to get them, make sure you order tubes as well.

The downside is you can't fit the spats on, and your brakes won't work as well.

With the 600 x 6's you can still make the spats fit ok.

DSC_2042.JPG.a11bde154835579e962af1940dadd605.JPG

600x6 on left 800x6 on the right.

DSC_2428.JPG.1096fc3589cd1730946b4ec71b0a7f0a.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Kiwi. That soft field technique is exactly what Wayne Fisher showed me at one time. Just released the back pressure and up she went!Glad you've still got the red beast - and the Rans?

Hi Seb,

I can't see myself ever selling the Drifter, but been able to cruise at 85/90 and having doors and a roof is great as well. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Kiwi

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The pneumatic tailwheel can put excessive side loading on the boom/ rudder post. Most Drifters that have them usually have reinforcement "gloves" fitted.I find the smaller tailwheel allows you to fly the drifter more like a true taildrager, you have more angle of attack sitting on the ground so you can get off shorter and also land shorter. I should also mention that I have 800 x 6 main wheels.

Kiwi.[ATTACH=full]52648[/ATTACH]

How much of an improvement in short field take off and landings do you get out of the 8 x 6 mains and small tw? I've been considering doing it as well, as mine sits almost flat. fully loaded it won't fly at that AoA until I hit at least 55 kts.

How much of an improvement in short field take off and landings do you get out of the 8 x 6 mains and small tw? I've been considering doing it as well, as mine sits almost flat. fully loaded it won't fly at that AoA until I hit at least 55 kts.

Most of my flying is one up nowadays, I originally had 15x6.00x6's and changed to the 600x6's a few years ago and noticed a difference on the first flight. I changed to the 800x6 as I was paddock landing quite often and thought it would help (it did).

I haven't measured my take off run but I am definitely taking off shorter. Here is the 800x6 next to a 15x6.00x6

1005300185_Jab008(Medium).JPG.15ae793fb2e20d0bc9629b84985ea485.JPG

Also, I measured the wing angle this afternoon and it is at about 12 degrees.

20171113_174015.jpg.f74dc0fab774ea425be6305260ef3bc2.jpg

Andrew

• Like 1

Wow ! Kiwi , thats a big tyre compared with the original , i love it . May i ask where i could order these and what to ask for when ordering ?Cheers Greg.

I got mine second hand, most aviation supply stores should be able to help you out or try Superior Air Parts but you just need to ask for 800x6 tires and tubes. The non aviation ones are only 2ply, the aviation ones are 6ply (from memory) .

As for weight and balance, you only have to worry about the weight as they are pretty much on the C of G.

I will probably put the 600x6's and spats back on over summer to stop the wheels throwing water and mud under the wings and through the prop.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

Speaking of weight , im on a diet hoping to loose a few kilos at present i weigh 109 kgs.

The guy i bought the drifter from assured me my weight would be fine if i fly one up and add some weight to the rear of the plane to compensate ?

Not really sure where to start adding weight ?

Any ideas ??

Thanks AndrewSpeaking of weight , im on a diet hoping to loose a few kilos at present i weigh 109 kgs.

The guy i bought the drifter from assured me my weight would be fine if i fly one up and add some weight to the rear of the plane to compensate ?

Any ideas ??

Seen people strap a plastic Jerry can of water on back seat for ballast ! I use to do it flying my trike on my own !

• Like 1

Thanks AndrewSpeaking of weight , im on a diet hoping to loose a few kilos at present i weigh 109 kgs.

Any ideas ??

Use a dive weight (or two) attached to the tail spring mount, using large hose clamps to secure it, but be mindfull if any light weight pilots ever fly the Drifter that they will need more ballast. boleropilot would know how much weight to add as he tried it and it worked great.

Another way is to move the pilot seat as far back as the rear rudder pedals will allow.

Kiwi

• 2 months later...
Most of my flying is one up nowadays, I originally had 15x6.00x6's and changed to the 600x6's a few years ago and noticed a difference on the first flight. I changed to the 800x6 as I was paddock landing quite often and thought it would help (it did).I haven't measured my take off run but I am definitely taking off shorter. Here is the 800x6 next to a 15x6.00x6

[ATTACH=full]52669[/ATTACH]

Also, I measured the wing angle this afternoon and it is at about 12 degrees.

[ATTACH=full]52672[/ATTACH]

Andrew

I have fitted a set of 8.00 x 6 tyres on the front and swapped the 200mm pneumatic for a 100mm solid tail wheel. Wish I did it years ago. The difference is amazing for short field.

I'm using a different take off technique though. Full fwd stick until the tail comes up (not long) then as the airspeed hits the yellow arc, ease it back and you're flying, but I stay in ground effect until airspeed picks up some more. Taking off and landing about 10 kts slower than before.

• Like 1

Use a dive weight (or two) attached to the tail spring mount, using large hose clamps to secure it, but be mindfull if any light weight pilots ever fly the Drifter that they will need more ballast. boleropilot would know how much weight to add as he tried it and it worked great.Another way is to move the pilot seat as far back as the rear rudder pedals will allow.

Kiwi

Hey Kiwi - you callin' me FAT ?????

hey Gregory, while you have the red beasty apart you might want to consider a fuel gauge for the bottom tank - with 0455 the top tank drains into the bottom one

with the fuel gauge fitted to the bottom tank the gauge won't move until the top tank is empty, then the needle will show fuel remaining

I found a brilliant gauge (complete assembly, fully adjustable for different tank sizes) on eBay for $25 AUD delivered (2 inch gauge) - check the "Drifter" forum for pic

the only fly in the ointment is the shape of the top of the lower tank - I'm having an alloy plate made up to fit the sender

cheers

Dave