Wake turbulence and circuits

in the interests of aviation chatter .....................

on a previous thread we have 7! aircraft in the circuit - one had 30! with left, centre and right runways - a twin engine using the centre strip

Most understand the theory of wake turbulence, but, if at an airstrip - who of us manages it ? - is staying away from the flight profile / vortex ................ enough ?

There are lots of examples where wake turbulence can ruin your day

Any anecdotes / reminders that some would like to share ?

More dangerous in stagnant air I think. The vortex doesn't get blown away or disturbed.

Ironically you often feel relaxed and happy in calm air....

I felt it once at 2000 when an aircraft travelling with me, over took and passed across my front, again in still air.

My left wing suddenly dropped 30 degrees in an instant.

Above and upwind of preceding aircraft is the safest I recall. In stable conditions it may persist for longer.

Something to remember is if full aileron doesn't lift the desired wing make sure you have speed and use further effect of rudder. Don't give up the fight without using all you've got.. Nev

Above and upwind of preceding aircraft is the safest I recall. In stable conditions it may persist for longer.Something to remember is if full aileron doesn't lift the desired wing make sure you have speed and use further effect of rudder. Don't give up the fight without using all you've got.. Nev

The moral of the story: Make sure your plane is bigger than those of your mates....

Erik in Oz.

The transition from low tow in a glider at takeoff to high tow for the climb puts the,glider right in the wake,turbulence and gives a,first,time towee a bit of a,thrill!

If the towee messes it,up,a,bit, the thrill extends along the,tow,rope,to,the,tower!

Kaz

• Agree 1