Running Cost for Jabiru

AZNA

Got my SK kit in 98 and flown since 2001 on the same engine. And the plane is not for sale, although my son says I should be changing to a Jabiru 170 because of its bigger cockpit. I operate it like Nightmare does, keeping an eye on the temperatures and acting accordingly. This is a small price to pay for the really big money savings compared to a rotax.

I must stress, my plane is only RELUCTANTLY for sale. I'd be quite happy to still be it's proud owner in 12 months time. I'm likely to withdraw it from sale soon. It is a great aircraft.Mind you, like you, I'd be tempted with upgrading to a J170, or even a J160 for the larger MTOW. It would give me better PAX and baggage options.

I have been looking at J230 options in the event that my GA medical issues are prolonged. There are nine for sale at present in the $65-75k range, with various options. and two J430s that could go on RAA register with the back seats out. I have ruled out Camit and Rotax power in these, but I don't know enough about the 3300 engine to know if there are better and worse options. Engine times range from 6 to 576 hours, build dates all 2007 to 2010. Of course there are a range of props and cockpit equipment. What should I look for, specifically on engines?

So reading through this, fixed cost for rego, insurance and hanger costs are going to be around $100/wk for someone close to a city. Hourly costs are typically $50-60/hr.

So unless you're doing 2 hours a week minimum, hiring a J160 or similar for $120-140 is a better option.

There are three things that do things beginning with “F” that will take your money ! If it Flys, Floats or F. Guess the last one !

I had all three !

• Like 2

My gliders were a good investment... the Mosquito cost $14,000 and was sold 20 years later for $32,000 with about 2000 hours on the clock. These 2000 hours would have cost me $100,000 at a hire rate of $50 an hour. Profit= $118,000

The Jabiru is not so good, it cost about $36,000 and is worth ( I hope ) about $20,000 now. It has flown 600 hours which at a hire rate of $100 an hour is worth about $60,000.

If you too have a talent for turning a blind eye to costs, you can figure out that the Jabiru has returned $42,000. And this is not counting the savings the Jabiru has made by keeping me out of the pub.

Try to find a syndicate - best move I ever made - but there is a real lack of a central "marketplace" info for those wanting to join/create a syndicate.

Happy to share our running costs - offline.

• Like 1

So reading through this, fixed cost for rego, insurance and hanger costs are going to be around $100/wk for someone close to a city. Hourly costs are typically $50-60/hr.So unless you're doing 2 hours a week minimum, hiring a J160 or similar for $120-140 is a better option.

And there's a whole lot less hassle, when you go for a fly, no need to book the plane, just jump in and fly after your pre-flights. Then there's the nice feeling that you know who flew her last, that is, you, so everything should be as you left it last flight. Not sure if that's worth anything, but it gives me a good feeling.
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 2

Is there a cheaper new aircraft to own and operate than a Jabiru? European Rotax things would be about twice as much. Mind you, if they are cantilever wings and carbon fiber, you do get a nice plane for the 2 or 3 times money.

• Agree 2

Just look at the blackshape prime... between 250,000 and 300,000 dollars, and they may be us$ so add an extra $60,000.But I have to admit that I would swap my SK jab for one.....

Wow, you could buy a house for that. But it wouldn't fly as well as the Blackshape...074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Good luck AZNA, the Jabiru is probably the cheapest plane to run, except for the fact that you can't leave it tied down outside.

Why can't it be tied down out side

Volvo is owned by Geely, the Chinese car company, people won't pay a premium for Chinese cars unless they have European branding

The C30 was built in Belgium.