Learning to fly in a Savannah

APenNameAndThatA

Hi

Is there any way that I can learn to fly in a Savannah. I was considering getting one (Foxbat's fabric control surfaces and the sun might not mix) but am keen to learn in the same type of plane that I fly in order to have the maximum hours in type. I am thinking that if there are not many factory-build Savannahs in Australia, then few/no flying schools will use them.

Thanks!

Is there any way that I can learn to fly in a Savannah.

There are quite a lot of factory built Savannah aircraft flying in Australia now although not all of those are online with flight schools, because they are so easy to build there are probably four or five times as many kit built ones though. A few forumites have learned to fly with Bill Greive of Aeroskill Flight Training (0488728899) in his Savannah XL. He is based at Beerwah north of Brisbane so should be able operate from an airport relatively convenient to you. He is very flexible, relocating his flight school to suit demand. I was able to learn on my own airstrip in Northern NSW and sleep in my own bed, freeing up my driving time for sleeping and studying when I trained with him.

Talk to your instructor, you can learn to fly in your 19 registered aircraft if it meets certain criteria.

I suppose an instructor might be familliar with a Savannah even if they did not teach in it. My understanding is that if it is factory built I will be able to register it VH.

Ring Bill at Aeroskill he is in Beerwah. He taught in his Sav. be quick though I saw Bill yesterday and he is delivering a factory built savannah from here up to Arhnam Land and leaving tomorrow I think...he is waiting for this trough to pass so he maybe delayed...he is planning on being away 10 days I think

• 2 weeks later...

From the Foxbat POH

f. Holes in the fabric. Any tearing or hole in the fabric wing/control surface coverings should be carefully examined to determine the cause. Small accidental holes or tears – up to 5mm in length/diameter - can be temporarily repaired using duct tape or100 mile-an-hour tape of a colour to match your paint. However, these small holes and any larger ones must be repaired permanently using a patch of Diatex fabric and suitable glue. Once repaired, the patch can be painted to match the aircraft.

• Informative 1