45 degree plug caps?

Callahan

I was just visiting Amazon in search of their $2.41 NGK plug caps that, by the way, work great. During my search, I found NGK 45 degree plug caps & wondered if any of you have used them? I've had trouble in the past with tight fits of 90 degree caps trying to fight them into position around coil wires & the cowl then onto the plugs themselves.

One odd (to me) thing about these caps is that they do not use the plug's screw-on cap. That is eliminated. You unscrew the cap & actually screw these onto the plugs threads.

I have to warn you though that they are extremely expensive at a whopping $6.75 U.S. Being cheeky of course! Let me know please if any of you have tried these.

Jaba....I tried doing a link & can't make it work. You might try "NGK spark plug caps" and follow it from there. That's how I found them. If I figure out how to do a link I'll post it here.

Tried a search but couldn’t find them. Can you give a link with a specific page or maybe a serial number or code?Or a photo?

Nev,

You just confused the heck out of me. But forget it. I ordered one today just to see if they work okay. Will post a report. I do like the 45 degree idea though. Thanks.

Better straight onto the thread. Some plug ends are integral with the plug. If you use a clip it goes straight onto the thread. .Nev

• Like 1

Ok. Found them.

Not sure they would suit my Jab. The Jab Spark plugs are fully inside the Ram Air ducts and they currently have 90 degree bend cap and I think they only just fit inside the duct. I don’t have the plane here at home so I am only making a guess. Don’t think there is any gain.

But what might be worth pursuing is the fact they are resistor type caps.

The standard Jab spark plug is I think non resistor type ( I think it’s a NGK D9EA ). And I do ( and always have ) suffered to some degree with ignition noise.

So would changing to a resistor type plug or adding a resistor type cap make a difference?

Anyone tried it already? If so what result.

Depends on which way you move them if you start at the top or the 360 position. If you....oh forget it. You win.

NGK 120 degree spark plug caps me thinks would google better. 45 degree caps would be pointing back at the cyl. Just sayin...

I wouldn't use resistors in plugs. caps or leads, unless someone very knowledgeable OK'd It. I know it's no good with Magnetos . It will make any system more likely track to earth rather than form the desired circuit through the plug. Nev

Thanks Nev!

I know some people use resistor plugs to eliminate radio interference/static somewhat along with shielding sleeves on plug wires & metal plug caps. I had those on my Drifter when I bought it. I removed all of it & went standard.

I ordered one 45 degree just out of curiosity. Should be in tomorrow. I'll post a photo of it with three other 90 degree caps just for the heck of it. I don't see the harm with all four as 45 degree caps....yet....but I defer to you as you, M18 & a couple of others seem to be the technical wizards on here. I say that in sincereity.

No, not 120 degree but 45 degree.

NGK 120 degree spark plug caps me thinks would google better. 45 degree caps would be pointing back at the cyl. Just sayin...

Jaba,

Read my reply below to Nev about resistor plugs. My Drifter had an elaborate radio setup with everything shielded including resistor plugs. I never use a radio, the radio didn't work either, so I took it all off. In short, I can't answer your question.

Ok. Found them.Not sure they would suit my Jab. The Jab Spark plugs are fully inside the Ram Air ducts and they currently have 90 degree bend cap and I think they only just fit inside the duct. I don’t have the plane here at home so I am only making a guess. Don’t think there is any gain.

But what might be worth pursuing is the fact they are resistor type caps.

The standard Jab spark plug is I think non resistor type ( I think it’s a NGK D9EA ). And I do ( and always have ) suffered to some degree with ignition noise.

So would changing to a resistor type plug or adding a resistor type cap make a difference?

Anyone tried it already? If so what result.

Below is a photo of my one & not only 45 degree plug. If you look very, very closely at the inside view, you will see that the interior is slanted inward or a concave design. If you can get a close up, you will see a tiny clip inside at the 10 o'clock position. This clip, I assume, grabs the plug threads & secures the cap to the....you got it...threads. I think I'll buy three more & see how it does. Will let you know. I'm interested because my 90 degree caps get jammed up sometime with wires, cowling etc....and the fact that I'm a sucker for gadgets.

2030245749_2018-02-01001001.jpg.37f8dc2af802f745f3a3133900bc8c6e.jpg

669209995_2018-02-01001002.jpg.d682b37c1d36a0de2b606bdfa8fea8e0.jpg

?????

The Rotax 912 series engines all use 45 degree, resistor-type NGK spark plug caps (although I understand they are moving towards a 90 degree cap to make it easier to measure the pull-off force).

Rotax specifies resistor-type plug caps for this series of engines although I'll bet they can be sourced elsewhere for a quarter of their price of over US $16.00 each. Rotax calls them "Suppressed Spark Plug Connectors" - perhaps to explain away their usual ridiculously inflated price tag.

Fly safely;

CanadaDan

That plug cap is for fitting over the round "nut", not for going on the thread by the looks?

The thread on a plug is quite small, that looks too big. Maybe just the pic.....

The 582 plugs are available as "solid" with a fixed non-removable head or with a screw on nut type.

Rotax do specify the "solid" types for the 582 as there is a risk of the nuts unscrewing in flight they say....

NGK Rotax 2 Stroke 120 Degree Spark Plug Cap Ultralight Engine 582 VBO5E | eBay

Dan & Down under.

Thanks for your replies. I wonder why they call them 120 degree plug caps when the design is 45 degrees? I think Amazon's ad refers to them as 45 degree caps...if I remember correctly.

Anyway, that little metal clip inside actually slides down over the threads & snaps snugly into place. It does not screw on like I originally thought. It's a good tight fit into the concave interior of the cap. How it will hold up under vibration is another story.

But I intend to find out. I ordered three more to go with my one I bought out of curiosity. Will post an update later. I've used resister plugs before with no problems.

Many parts catalogs have NGK caps priced up to $37.00 each. I've been using Amazon's NGK normal horizontal caps with no problems whatsoever....at $2.41 U.S. These 45 degree caps are just over $6.00 on Amazon. Why pay more?

I did a complete strobe & landing light system on my Drifter for $175. "Drifter Flying Part 2 by William Catalina....on YouTube if you'd like to see it.

That plug cap is for fitting over the round "nut", not for going on the thread by the looks?The thread on a plug is quite small, that looks too big. Maybe just the pic.....

The 582 plugs are available as "solid" with a fixed non-removable head or with a screw on nut type.

Rotax do specify the "solid" types for the 582 as there is a risk of the nuts unscrewing in flight they say....

NGK Rotax 2 Stroke 120 Degree Spark Plug Cap Ultralight Engine 582 VBO5E | eBay

• Informative 1

Dan & Down under.Thanks for your replies. I wonder why they call them 120 degree plug caps when the design is 45 degrees? I think Amazon's ad refers to them as 45 degree caps...if I remember correctly.

Anyway, that little metal clip inside actually slides down over the threads & snaps snugly into place. It does not screw on like I originally thought. It's a good tight fit into the concave interior of the cap. How it will hold up under vibration is another story.

But I intend to find out. I ordered three more to go with my one I bought out of curiosity. Will post an update later. I've used resister plugs before with no problems.

Many parts catalogs have NGK caps priced up to $37.00 each. I've been using Amazon's NGK normal horizontal caps with no problems whatsoever....at $2.41 U.S. These 45 degree caps are just over $6.00 on Amazon. Why pay more?

I did a complete strobe & landing light system on my Drifter for $175. "Drifter Flying Part 2 by William Catalina....on YouTube if you'd like to see it.

I think 120 degree is the correct term as 45 degrees would be a closed angle would it not?

Toady,

Welcome to the club! You're talking to the least technical guy here. Emu, M16 & Nev could walk all over me.

However, there is a However! When I look at a spark plugs cap that my common sense tells me is 45 degrees from vertical then have people (no offense) tell me it's 120 degrees from.... whatever they pin that conclusion on, well, hell. I give up. It's 120.

I'm too old to argue anymore.... especially with my wife. I agree to everything. There was a Governor in the State of Louisiana. He was like me. Agreeable. He signed off on everything. One day a leaf blew in his window, landed on his desk. He signed that too. Nice guy.

• Haha 1

Toady,Welcome to the club! You're talking to the least technical guy here. Emu, M16 & Nev could walk all over me.

However, there is a However! When I look at a spark plugs cap that my common sense tells me is 45 degrees from vertical then have people (no offense) tell me it's 120 degrees from.... whatever they pin that conclusion on, well, hell. I give up. It's 120.

I'm too old to argue anymore.... especially with my wife. I agree to everything. There was a Governor in the State of Louisiana. He was like me. Agreeable. He signed off on everything. One day a leaf blew in his window, landed on his desk. He signed that too. Nice guy.

Yeah I think we can overthink things. We all know what we mean.....Don’t we?