lowest RA-Aus Member Fatal Accident Rates In Recent Years!

What I dont like is that we keep hearing how good they are (from their own mouths), yet we never get the truth about whats what. For instance, the last annual report says they spent 250 000 in cash on websites and other stuff with no capital gain for the organisation. Membership went up, but there is no breakdown of who paid for what. I assume the sponsored cadets are counted in the membership. Is it possible that full paying membership actually deacreased last year, not increased? We dont know. What I do know is that if they keep pump priming the org by spending a quarter of a million bucks each year, there wont be an orginisation for long.

• Like 1

Part of the problem with the variations in hours flown was the poor record keeping in years gone by. Since the records have been kept in a database and on line rather than in manual files where there are possible data entry errors, lost files etc there was bound to be conflicting information. Also there were probably different processes and systems for record keeping of the same information for different purposes.

• Agree 1

I was a lucky recipient of a scholarship, and I can tell you that doing my instructor rating now is giving back to our club and new recreational aviation members where we are all volunteer instructors. With this assistance, it means we can continue to provide additional instructors for minimal cost.

How does an instructor who volunteers compare with an instructor who is paid? Are there different qualifications?

How does an instructor who volunteers compare with an instructor who is paid? Are there different qualifications?

Trained to the same standard. We do it as part of a club for the passion, but we do not advertise as we are a club at heart. Where was this question coming from?

Trained to the same standard. We do it as part of a club for the passion, but we do not advertise as we are a club at heart. Where was this question coming from?

As it should be. However, in GA, CASA will now allow a PPL to hold an instructor rating - but only to do design feature endos, flight activity endos, and Part 61.385 competency training. This is exactly what a CPL qualified instructor is allowed to do when operating independent of a Part 141 flying school. In the UK, there is some differentiation between PPL vs CPL qualified instructors, but I understand both do the same instructor training as here under CASA rules.

I have no problem with instructors doing it for love. My overheads are high, and I couldn't not try to recoup something for my time. It makes instruction more widely available and that's helping to grow our pilot base. We need more younger instructors coming through because there is a looming shortage of experienced instructors in both GA & RAAus. So far, in 12 years of operating this school, I've had one - yes 1, enquiry from an SI about doing some instruction at the school. And in that time, only 2 enquiries about doing an instructor rating. RAAus might need to look into just where the next generation of instructors is coming from?

happy days,

As it should be. However, in GA, CASA will now allow a PPL to hold an instructor rating - but only to do design feature endos, flight activity endos, and Part 61.385 competency training. This is exactly what a CPL qualified instructor is allowed to do when operating independent of a Part 141 flying school. In the UK, there is some differentiation between PPL vs CPL qualified instructors, but I understand both do the same instructor training as here under CASA rules.I have no problem with instructors doing it for love. My overheads are high, and I couldn't not try to recoup something for my time. It makes instruction more widely available and that's helping to grow our pilot base. We need more younger instructors coming through because there is a looming shortage of experienced instructors in both GA & RAAus. So far, in 12 years of operating this school, I've had one - yes 1, enquiry from an SI about doing some instruction at the school. And in that time, only 2 enquiries about doing an instructor rating. RAAus might need to look into just where the next generation of instructors is coming from?

happy days,

Yes RAAus need to be encouraging and helping with instruction.

Without instructors the succession plan will fall over and we will have no one flying.

A matter of interest the one showing interest in instructing, "Were they encouraged in any way?"

KP

As long as the qualification standards are the same, there's no issue there.

One thing that does concern me is a theme in some quarters to miminise training with professional Instructors who need to earn a decent living which reflects the training they have to pay for and the time they spend working. As Keith says, they are a vital component of RA flying, and if they can't earn a living, then conventional volume of flying is over.

• Agree 1

Turbo as you say "Earn a living" sad to say these light aircraft we enjoy fit into a hobby situation as most of us are aware not too many hobbies one can make a living from.

We have to be very careful regulations and costs will take over and with no succession plan those are alone -- will be the death knell of our recreational aircraft.

Not too many are seeing it we are getting more rules by the day.

KP

• Agree 1

Turbo as you say "Earn a living" sad to say these light aircraft we enjoy fit into a hobby situation as most of us are aware not too many hobbies one can make a living from.We have to be very careful regulations and costs will take over and with no succession plan those are alone -- will be the death knell of our recreational aircraft.

Not too many are seeing it we are getting more rules by the day.

KP

While I have strongly recommended RAA set up a volunteer management structure around the Country, voluntary instructors isn’t where I’d start, based on the horrific past. Also, it’s not just the instructor that has to be financed but the suitably qualified aircraft. Breaking down the financial model which is already on a fragile base is suicidal.

We are not getting more and more rules every day, more a case of RA flyers suddenly discovering GA airspace and realising there’s a heavy workload to be able to traverse all skies. I haven’t seen much change for local flights; simpler if anything.

• Like 1

We need more younger instructors coming through because there is a looming shortage of experienced instructors in both GA & RAAus. So far, in 12 years of operating this school, I've had one - yes 1, enquiry from an SI about doing some instruction at the school. And in that time, only 2 enquiries about doing an instructor rating. RAAus might need to look into just where the next generation of instructors is coming from? happy days,

There was talk at the RAA meeting at Whitegum farm last year (with pres & ceo) about the age and future of instructors.

There was a plan of allowing experienced pilots to do some sort of limited tif with potential students. Under cfi control I would imagine.

This allowed pilots to get a taste of instructing and hopefully move them forward in that direction.

Gordon at white gum would have more info....

• Like 2

I have heard about the limited TIF as well from our CFI for raaus. Has potential. I think the GFA has something similar with Air Experience Flights.

For us, where I am a member and fly, we are a volunteer club, and instructing is not every day of the week, 2.5 days at most for raaus, gliding is a little different. We are more word of mouth for raaus, as we are after club members. We are also a gliding and raaus club, so we have instructors covering each type. And most instructors are retired and those who are not, it is a every second weekend thing or so. For me, it will be a 1/2 day every 2nd week.

Understand those doing it for a day job, yes you have to make a profit to make it viable. I just want to see more people, and young people getting into aviation.