582 Blue making an odd tinny noise

Piglet

Hi all

I fly a Thruster TST with a 582 Blue on it. It runs like a dream, climbs well and is as reliable as you could wish for.

It has been making a tinny noise at 5800rpm in the air at 50 to 55 kias for the past 5 hrs. I have had second opinion that it is from the engine and have shaken the airframe frkm many different points to try to establish the noise.

I have swapped the exhaust and springs, checked many torques and other bits and pieces.

Just throw your suggestions at me so I can add to my list.

I have another engine to put on but I dont want to be beaten here :-)

Thanks

Xy

Piglet, I had a ringing noise I could hear when I was flying at cruise speed of 5200 to 5400 rpm even through my headsets on my 582 grey head Thruster T500.

I traced it to my starter motor, I replaced the starter motor spring and the noise was gone, that was back in 2007.

• Like 1

The source of most tinny, ringing noises is usually vibrating baffles, heat shields, or cowlings, that are formed from thin sheeting. They generally vibrate within a specific rev range or engine load.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The starter is easy to check.. just stick your hand underneath and grab the pinion. If it can move far enough to contact the ring rear., that may be it. I had this problem with my grey head on my Drifter. I just noticed a “ting” sound every so often, but more at certain revs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Rather than try substitution of parts or just guessing at what the noise is, try to diagnose it. Does it happen at those rpm when stationery. You could tie it down and get the revs. If there is no tinniness, that would point to air loads maybe causing the noise. If there is the noise it may be easier to find where it is coming from. Just be very careful around the prop area. Also bear in mind that it could be coming through the headset, rather than from the engine.

• Agree 1

Hi allI fly a Thruster TST with a 582 Blue on it. It runs like a dream, climbs well and is as reliable as you could wish for.

It has been making a tinny noise at 5800rpm in the air at 50 to 55 kias for the past 5 hrs. I have had second opinion that it is from the engine and have shaken the airframe frkm many different points to try to establish the noise.

I have swapped the exhaust and springs, checked many torques and other bits and pieces.

Just throw your suggestions at me so I can add to my list.

I have another engine to put on but I dont want to be beaten here :-)

Thanks

Xy

Piglet, I think, after 5 frustrating hours of sleuthing with no success you'd be wise to accept defeat, give 'Thrustering' away and tow the TST across the taxiway and dump it in front of my hangar. I won't invoice you for eliminating this ancient and horrid abomination from your trials & tribulations. Just as well you have mates who are prepared to look after you. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Haha 2
  • Helpful 1

The problem is resolved. It was the starter. I run a B box so the starter is at the back. The sound never occured on the ground which made it hard to diagnose but I am lucky to have two of everything so subbing the parts out when suspected is the best way. I considered having someone else pilot it for me while I hung off the boom with the stethoscope but changed my mind.

Thanks to everyone who commented... and Riley thanks for your kind offer... and loan of your starter, weather you know you've loaned it or not

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Informative 1

The problem is resolved. It was the starter. I run a B box so the starter is at the back. The sound never occured on the ground which made it hard to diagnose but I am lucky to have two of everything so subbing the parts out when suspected is the best way. I considered having someone else pilot it for me while I hung off the boom with the stethoscope but changed my mind.Thanks to everyone who commented... and Riley thanks for your kind offer... and loan of your starter, weather you know you've loaned it or not

Be advised that my solicitor and the bailiff will be in contact with you directly (however, I am prepared to share much of your beer with them to have the theft charges dropped). Good news on the problem resolution but I still reckon a set of ear plugs would have been cheaper.

• Haha 1