Alerted See and Avoid

I’m obviously missing something in the latest message from CASA?

They’ve written an article about alerted see and avoid procedures in class G airspace, then cite a midair collision in controlled airspace as an example.

Unalerted see and avoid—it’s not a good look | Flight Safety Australia

'QUOTE: If you do the maths, a complete 180 degree horizontal and 30 degree vertical scan using this method could take at least 54 seconds. US military research found that it takes a pilot 12.5 seconds to avoid a collision after target detection. There can the'

also the above paragraph referring to 180 degree implies a forwards scan - you should also be aware of merging traffic from behind - they might not see you ............................. it pays to have a looksee behind as well sometimes

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I guess some of the factors may have been pertinent to anyone anywhere but I agree entirely. The choice of an aircraft in controlled airspace will do little to focus the class G pilot on the possibilities as apply in uncontrolled airspace.

The article will probably engender a degree of complacency in many readers because of a thought process something like "clearly the fault lies with the controller who was supposed provide separation. This doesn't apply to me in Class G. "

Psychologically it is well shown that once a person perceives some part of a scenario does not apply to them the tendency is to disregard the entire lesson. ( I forget the name from my student days but this phenomenon even has somebodies name - "the xxxxxx effect".

Surely CASA could have found a class G event.

I had the closest call I've ever had last year with an aircraft overflying the airfield at circuit height. I was climbing to circuit height after a touch and go and dipped the nose getting ready to turn downwind and there was the aircraft. No radio calls, nothing. RAAUS didn't do anything and I did some research and found which aircraft it was, told RAAUS and they forwarded it to CASA and still have heard nothing.

It could have been a training flight but if something was done, maybe that person would know in the future just how close I was to making the news.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

There are quite a few aerodromes where x country aircraft fly through at circuit height. It's a really dangerous practice. They apparently don't know where these aerodromes are (or don't care). An aircraft climbing to turn crosswind or depart won't see over the nose particularly well. On prolonged climbs one is meant to lower the nose periodically. To make any turn one should clear the area you will turn into visually. Skidding the plane and looking to the rear was once a common practice prior to turning.. Are we too casual ? Nev

• Agree 1

There are quite a few aerodromes where x country aircraft fly through at circuit height. It's a really dangerous practice. They apparently don't know where these aerodromes are (or don't care). An aircraft climbing to turn crosswind or depart won't see over the nose particularly well. On prolonged climbs one is meant to lower the nose periodically. To make any turn one should clear the area you will turn into visually. Skidding the plane and looking to the rear was once a common practice prior to turning.. Are we too casual ? Nev

Yes, I was taught to dip the nose to look around every 1000ft on a climb.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I had the closest call I've ever had last year with an aircraft overflying the airfield at circuit height. I was climbing to circuit height after a touch and go and dipped the nose getting ready to turn downwind and there was the aircraft. No radio calls, nothing. RAAUS didn't do anything and I did some research and found which aircraft it was, told RAAUS and they forwarded it to CASA and still have heard nothing.It could have been a training flight but if something was done, maybe that person would know in the future just how close I was to making the news.

Maybe a couple of things to consider:

- there is no legal requirement for an aircraft to be fitted with a radio operating in the area you were flying in.

- you avoided a collision as the result of a proper lookout, which is the primary means of traffic avoidance in your operation

- do not rely on people making broadcasts as per CAAP 166. As you suggested it may well have been a training flight / solo student who was overloaded with aviating and navigating and hadn’t the time or headspace for the communicate bit. I’m not saying this is correct, but is a fact of life for operations out of WBN which you need to take into account and take appropriate actions to mitigate the risk.

- don’t expect RAAus to take any action, they have neither the powers or means to do so.

- submit a formal report to the ATSB, the authorities will only act on data.

Safe flying!

• Agree 2

Yeah, what hope have we got when an ex-RAF fighter pilot in this Battle of Britain documentary puts it this way (at 38:00)

"The first thing you'd see is the cloud of anti-aircraft fire ... You seldom saw aircraft in the air because you could pass 500 airplanes flying in the opposite direction, two miles away and not see a thing. All we used to see were the anti-aircraft shells bursting and we would fly towards them."

And you often hear WWII dogfighters (in films) say that one minute they'd be part of a large formation attacking an equally large formation, and after engaging one of the enemy aircraft they'd suddenly find themselves alone in a completely empty sky.