Certified Drifter Propellors

boleropilot

G'day All,

In the process of doing a refurb of 25-0455 I decided to retire the old Brolga 4 blade prop and get one of those new fangled props from Bolly - the Optima Series 3 60" 3 blade, a bargain at $1,635 + $40 freight...

When ringing Bolly for an invoice, I was told that if I fitted that prop without first buying my specific MARAP certificate for the prop that any CASA or RAAus official asking me for MY copy of the certificate would immediately ground the aircraft if I could not produce it.

Next step was to talk to RAAus about getting a copy of the certificate for 0455 - apparently MY copy of the certificate will cost $550, and the reason for that little fee is basically "user pays" - RAAus has spent $25,000 on the MARAP process for that prop for 582 Drifters, that money must be recovered, so pay up or no new prop...and Brolga don't make props any more - do they?

I have posted elsewhere on this forum but basically I need to get in contact with either a business or individual who is willing to do a basic check and refurb of my Brolga 4 blade.

BP

It will only get worse as RAAus realise the power that part 149 gives them. If they make up a rule and add it to the operations manual, make compliance mandatory and then charge for help in complying.....

• Agree 5

yeah DA that's an option I should look into - at this stage of 0455s life I don't think 25 Certified rego is really feasible - not sure what's involved in the process...

btw the guy I spoke to at RAAus wasn't all that happy with the comments from Bolly. I did manage to find a prop expert willing to check out/refurb the Brolga for me - it goes in the post tomorrow

BP

Stick a 4 blade "brolga" by Bolly on it.

Before you send your brolga off...shine a high intensity light up the root end and see if there are any cracks around the attachment bolt holes. They're easy to see if they are there.

I have two old Brolgas, but all of the blades have cracking in the root end.

• 3 weeks later...

not sure if I posted this elsewhere but I have sent my Brolga prop to Aerofibre at Kingaroy - they have inspected the blades (very good condition = surprise) and the hub (numerous hairline cracks = bugger), so new hub on way

complete refurb quoted at approx. $600 and I am happy with that - apparently they lose their balance when dismantled/mantled (did I just invent a new word?) so the owner will deliver the prop to Brisbane on his next visit (only a short drive for me)

the fuel tank is still a bit of a mess but I am now looking for a fuel resistant sealant between the fibreglass and the alloy sender mount - anybody got any ideas?

sorting out the (slightly) different wiring betwixt the old grey-head motor and the new blue-head motor is still an issue, I may have to do that myself but I would prefer not to...

BP