John Denver's crash

I saw a program on Foxtel last night regarding the crash of the Long Eze in which John Denver died. Some may already know this, that his plane had been modified from the original. Firstly, the visual fuel indicator was in a location which required him to use a mirror to see it. Secondly, the fuel tank selector switch had been relocated behind his left shoulder, so that he had to reach his right arm across his chest and shoulder to reach it.  In addition, the switch was very stiff to turn. As John was short of stature, he used a feather pillow behind him to allow him to reach the rudder pedals.

Investigators were confused when feathers were found in what was left of the aircraft and in the water, and at first suspected a bird strike as there were a lot of large pelicans in the area. However, the feathers were identified as Canada Goose, a species not present in California. The final determination was that he took off with insufficient fuel, and when the engine spluttered, he stretched his right foot against the rudder while trying to turn to reach the fuel switch.  This caused the plane to bank, and as he was only at 600 ft, he had insufficient height to recover. He hit with such force that the plane disintegrated, and his body was dismembered almost beyond recognition.

Was a good write about about this in Flight Safety Magazine many years ago. When he was ferrying the airplane, he landed somewhere and the mechanic there offered to lend John some viccegrips to attach to the fuel switch as he knew it would be hard to reach. I vaguely recall the mechanic also suggested fuelling up but that John believed there was sufficient in the tanks. 

Classic case of knowing TOO much. He had thousands of hours experience including in Lear Jets. I guess he figured this is a noob mistake and he could fix it.  A low hours pilot might have just got on with Aviating, Navigating and Communicating and made a successful landing (or water ditching)

I read...though I don't remember where...that the fuel system was set up this way because the original owner was trying to avoid having fuel system pipes or parts in the cockpit.

Hindsight is 20/20, and especially when sitting safely on the ground, but it seems astonishing anyone would put such an essential piece of equipment out of both easy reach and sight.

There are also real disorientation problems with reaching/turning up and back if already in a turn: wasn't there a military aircraft that had a bad record on final turns until some of the switch gear was shifted from above and behind the pilot???

• Agree 1

I read...though I don't remember where...that the fuel system was set up this way because the original owner was trying to avoid having fuel system pipes or parts in the cockpit.Hindsight is 20/20, and especially when sitting safely on the ground, but it seems astonishing anyone would put such an essential piece of equipment out of both easy reach and sight.

In hindsight it would never have been out of reach or "sight" if you built the aircraft around yourself...and that is essentially what most home builders do I assume.

In hindsight it would never have been out of reach or "sight" if you built the aircraft around yourself...and that is essentially what most home builders do I assume.

I agree as that is precisely what I have done. The ergonomics of the controls layout of many factory built aircraft is abysmal. I made sure the rudder pedals with differential toe brakes were the perfect length for me, throttle, carb heat & flap switch all in the one binnacle on the left, centre stick with PTT & trim immediately behind. All other switches & fuel selectors on the panel in the centre. Flight instruments plus tacho on the left, radio, transponder & Nav in the centre & engine instruments on the right angled for easy view. No stretching or requirement for hands to be off critical components at any time especially during the descent/landing process. 

You only build in risks if you don't get the ergonomics right. Toe brakes on a taildragger   Need to work right. You don't need one on, on landing, or you will certainly notice it. Nev

We could have a whole thread on ergonomics. Mounting all switches in a nice neat row means you have to take your eyes off the game outside to select the right one. I like to have my switches next to the instrument they are related to. 

interesting readAnother Explanation for John Denver's Crash?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.aviation.homebuilt/CFLP9voMQqQ

If you read down a bit they get back to the cause found to have contributed to the crash- poorly located fuel valve causing John to lose control while trying to reach it