But did he have an ASIC?!?

Some bloke knocked off a Q400 from Seattle, Barrel-rolled the thing before crashing it.

Sad as it is, kudos for A) Getting it airborne.

B) Not injuring anyone else and;

C) Putting every other Dash-8 pilot to shame!

A 29-year-old suicidal man stole a Horizon Air Q400 plane from Seattle’s international airport for a short, dramatic flight before crashing on a nearby island.

The local Pierce County Sheriff, Paul Pastor, confirmed via Twitter that the man — believed to be an employee of Horizon Airlines — was acting alone when he made the unauthorised flight and was chased by F15 fighter planes.

Caught on video, the chase ended when the turboprop 76-seater aircraft crashed on Ketron island, around 50km southwest of Seattle.

The stolen aircraft belonged to Alaska Airlines’ sister carrier, Horizon.

One report said the man joked with traffic controllers during the short flight as F15s chased him that he was going to jail.

The Pierce County Sheriff’s Office said on Twitter the crash may have been caused by the mechanic “doing stunts in air or lack of flying skills.”

It said the F15 fighter planes “made it within a few minutes of theft of plane. Pilots kept plane out of harms way and people on ground safe.”

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

But did he have an ASIC ? If it happened in Australia yes he would have an ASIC, would the result be any different ? No. ASIC = useless . If anyone can put forward a senario were an ASIC would work let's hear it.

But did he have an ASIC ? If it happened in Australia yes he would have an ASIC, would the result be any different ? No. ASIC = useless . If anyone can put forward a senario were an ASIC would work let's hear it.

What could happen is the ASIC qualification could expand to include a psychological history.

What could happen is the ASIC qualification could expand to include a psychological history.

We already get that with our railway Cat I medical exams. The whole 'do you feel suicidal?' etc etc...Yet we've had one successful and several attempts at it in the last couple of years in one depot...So no matter how good the psych profiles are, no amount of security cards or medical histories will prevent every possibility, every time.IIRC, we had a serving Qantas line pilot do something similar in a bug-smasher off Ballina a year or two ago, an Air Botswana pilot do it, the Germanwings Effo 2 years ago. This is only such big news because of the novelty of it - "Non-pilot baggage handler steals commercial airliner....". Were he to have done the same thing in a Pitts Special, we would be lucky to have heard of it in Australia.

I don't mean to trivialise the event or its' repercussions - far from it - as an employees mental health is arguably more important than their physical health in both the flying, and railway, environments given the safety-critical nature of both. But I don't really see how this can have been prevented.

• Agree 4

We already get that with our railway Cat I medical exams. The whole 'do you feel suicidal?' etc etc...Yet we've had one successful and several attempts at it in the last couple of years in one depot...So no matter how good the psych profiles are, no amount of security cards or medical histories will prevent every possibility, every time.IIRC, we had a serving Qantas line pilot do something similar in a bug-smasher off Ballina a year or two ago, an Air Botswana pilot do it, the Germanwings Effo 2 years ago. This is only such big news because of the novelty of it - "Non-pilot baggage handler steals commercial airliner....". Were he to have done the same thing in a Pitts Special, we would be lucky to have heard of it in Australia.

I don't mean to trivialise the event or its' repercussions - far from it - as an employees mental health is arguably more important than their physical health in both the flying, and railway, environments given the safety-critical nature of both. But I don't really see how this can have been prevented.

Once the facts are out it's quite possible that this will just be treated as a local event.

If there is a reaction to it, in the gun debate, similar incidents had occurred to the ones you mention, and it became clear that just questioning the person didn't work; they were usually clever enough to fake it. When I told my local doctor, he said "Send the investigators to me; I can tell them immediately whether the person in OK; if he's not, he'll have been like it from the time he was seven, and I only have to go through in incidents in his file."