Looking for my next plane

gussoo007

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advise please.

I’m a 200 hr PPL. I used to own my own aircraft, a BE33 with an IO550 in it, now sold and I’m looking at purchasing another aircraft.

I primarily commute, a there and back trip of 100NM, which goes through a military restricted zone, once a week VMC permitting.

I want a low fuel burn and around 90-100kts, reasonable x wind capability. 1POB and 10kgs of baggage. I used to rent 2 hangars spaces, one at origin and one at destination, both of which I have relinquished so new aircraft will be kept outside under covers.

I have considered the following. RV’s with lycoming 320 power plants, your usual Piper archer/Cherokee/warrior Ac and even Skyfox Gazelle with Rotax power plants. The benefit of the Skyfox is I could keep it in an enclosed trailer.

Thoughts please

Hi all,I’m looking for some advise please.

I’m a 200 hr PPL. I used to own my own aircraft, a BE33 with an IO550 in it, now sold and I’m looking at purchasing another aircraft.

I primarily commute, a there and back trip of 100NM, which goes through a military restricted zone, once a week VMC permitting.

I want a low fuel burn and around 90-100kts, reasonable x wind capability. 1POB and 10kgs of baggage. I used to rent 2 hangars spaces, one at origin and one at destination, both of which I have relinquished so new aircraft will be kept outside under covers.

I have considered the following. RV’s with lycoming 320 power plants, your usual Piper archer/Cherokee/warrior Ac and even Skyfox Gazelle with Rotax power plants. The benefit of the Skyfox is I could keep it in an enclosed trailer.

Thoughts please

What's wrong with a good condition C-152? Nev

What's wrong with a good condition C-152? Nev

SIDS

I wouldn't just write it off on that account. Other planes have corrosion and perhaps even more than the Cessna's. The best are the earlier Piper Commanche's etc but they end up costing a lot more one way or another... Nev

Hi Nev. it’s not just the corrosion. It’s all those yearly, 2 yearly, 5 yearly and 10 yearly SIDS that’s a turn off. Turns relatively cheap and easy annuals into protracted and expensive. That’s a death nail for Cessnas as far as I’m concerned

I didn't realise until I met up with forum member Gary last week over here in France that you poor buggers can't even do your own maintenance on ultralights unless you built em yourself. Otherwise I'd be waving the flag for a Savannah as one of the most affordable forms of aerial transport known to man. And it's all metal so doesn't mind too much being left outside.

With RAA aircraft we can do our own maintenance. Pass a short on line test to get L1 maintenance approval and you can maintain a factory aircraft as per factory maintenance program but it cannot be used for hire or training. I believe if fully inspected and released by a suitably qualified LAME or L2 it can be then used on line again.

• Like 1

Hi all,I’m looking for some advise please.

Thoughts please

This may be of interest.

2005 Tecnam P2002 Sierra | Aircraft Listing | Plane Sales Australia

Its RA-Aus Certified (Can fly through CTA if pilot holds a PPL or RPL)

• 3 weeks later...
I have considered the following. RV’s with lycoming 320 power plants, your usual Piper archer/Cherokee/warrior Ac and even Skyfox Gazelle with Rotax power plants. The benefit of the Skyfox is I could keep it in an enclosed trailer.Thoughts please

Your short distance requirement really doesn't call for an RV - even a 160HP model would be wasted. However, if you planned to do a little more extensive touring, then an RV6A, 7a, or 9A is hard to beat for all round numbers. Purchase: $50k - 120k. Operating: 32 LPH for 150KTAS

Couldn't recommend either Cessna or Piper because of SIDS, many timex costs, corrosion issues, unforeseen with old aircraft.

RAAus types? Low wing or high wing? Low better for blue sky hangarage and for crosswind ops. A couple Brumby 600 low wings for sale recently which are good for 110 on 18-20 lph. For blue sky hangarage - any high wing is going to cause you sleepless nights.

In regard to trailer storage - why not consider a much reduced rate to still hangar your folding wing machine. It fits into a very small spot. What about the Eurofox - 100+ speeds using 18-20LPH? A big improvement on the Skyfox/Gazelle.

With a current PPL, you can convert over to hold an RAAus ticket in a few hrs. The PPL allows CTA/CTR access, and you can legally use that in an RAAus rego aircraft fitted with TXP. Until the whole biz of CTA access is sorted at CASA level, I'd recommend you keep your PPL current by medical & BFR, which will also keep your RPC current so you can legally use the RAAus rego aircraft.

happy days,