OPERATING COSTS OF AIRPLANE

Riles4365

KRAt the end of the day I don’t worry about the cost, I fly because I love doing it, being what you would call a not drinker persay couple of beers a month if I am lucky and not a gambler other than lotto I could waste that sort of money doing those things and get nowhere near the enjoyment I do out of flying.

Alf

Ain't that the truth. Mind you, I always cringe when the insurance invoice arrives, but everything else is lots of smallish costs over the year, and definitely worth it for what I personally get out of it. Take yesterday for example, I flew from Somersby to Caloundra, a short local flight on arrival to scatter a mates ashes after his 'final flight', had lunch with his wife at the surf club then flew back to Somersby. All in less than 11 hours., with around 7.5 hours in the air. Short of hiring a PC-12 from Bankstown, it'd be damn hard to find a better, faster way to do it.Personally, I don't consider the engine replacement costs or anything else other than fuel as a direct/regular operating expense. I might buy a carton of oil every 18 months or so, and some plugs when I'm getting close to the 100-hourly but that's it, really. Tyres will be bought when needed, though I always carry a spare tube in the hangar. My engine is (was) brand-new, and everything else I simply replace when the time comes, but to do a 'proper' comparison, they do need to be included in the total operating cost.

Ain't that the truth. Mind you, I always cringe when the insurance invoice arrives, but everything else is lots of smallish costs over the year, and definitely worth it for what I personally get out of it. Take yesterday for example, I flew from Somersby to Caloundra, a short local flight on arrival to scatter a mates ashes after his 'final flight', had lunch with his wife at the surf club then flew back to Somersby. All in less than 11 hours., with around 7.5 hours in the air. Short of hiring a PC-12 from Bankstown, it'd be damn hard to find a better, faster way to do it.Personally, I don't consider the engine replacement costs or anything else other than fuel as a direct/regular operating expense. I might buy a carton of oil every 18 months or so, and some plugs when I'm getting close to the 100-hourly but that's it, really. Tyres will be bought when needed, though I always carry a spare tube in the hangar. My engine is (was) brand-new, and everything else I simply replace when the time comes, but to do a 'proper' comparison, they do need to be included in the total operating cost.

KR

Yep I think the same way, I recently a few months back completed a 9 day trip from West Sale to Uluru and back and marveled at my plane sitting at Uluru after transporting us from home in 14.7 hrs (strong headwinds most of the way), the return trip took us 11.4 hours with an additional 150nm tacked on to it.

Total fuel used was 508 litres and cost me $1216 bucks for the best part of 2500nm.

I often sit and look at the plane after I arrive somewhere and marvel how this thing of steel, aluminium, nuts bolts and rivets has just transported me to these wonderful places in such a short time.

• Like 3

On the insurance, yes it is a cost but writing it off is a greater cost if uninsured, yes I will be coming up to my 6th year of 2k insurance but I’ll get back 100k of that if I unfortunately bingle it, so even 30 years at 2 k a pop is 60k if I happen to bin it I will still be 40k infront

Insurance in my opinion is a necessity in something worth 100k plus

• Agree 2

KRAt the end of the day I don’t worry about the cost, I fly because I love doing it, being what you would call a not drinker persay couple of beers a month if I am lucky and not a gambler other than lotto I could waste that sort of money doing those things and get nowhere near the enjoyment I do out of flying.

Alf

Yep, I just shake my head at those who smoke a pack a day, go out most weekends and always have a carton in the fridge then whinge "I wish I could afford to fly", as if somehow it's your fault.

Flying can be pretty much as cheap or as expensive as you make it. The cheap end will require much more physical and mental effort on your part though. So to get an accurate cost you really need to be able to pin down some specifics.

• 2 weeks later...

Incidental costs

Hello all, while we on the topic of running costs.......I’m still a couple of years away from looking at buying but I’m keen to find out about the incidental ‘casa’ costs for flying.  Other then airport landing fees, if applicable, fuel, insurance what other ‘daily flying costs are there?  Are there any?  I often go here our cfi make comments.... thanks in anticipation.....