Stratolaunch Roc flies for the first time

Marty_d

Can anyone tell me why the horizontal stabiliser(s) are not joined. The way it is now just looks wrong, aesthetically & structurally. I cant argue my aesthetic observation, that's just my view. Structurally ,it looks like any unequal stresses on the fuselages, will twist the two fuselages around the joining wing  - cant be good.

Can anyone tell me why the horizontal stabiliser(s) are not joined. The way it is now just looks wrong, aesthetically & structurally. I cant argue my aesthetic observation, that's just my view. Structurally ,it looks like any unequal stresses on the fuselages, will twist the two fuselages around the joining wing  - cant be good.

I've wondered the same thing. The centre section between the two fuselages must take a lot of bending and torsion that you would think would be reduced if the tails were joined.  Still, maybe there are more complex resonance modes if the tails are joined that might affect its effectiveness as a rocket launch platform.  Having just one connection point near the centre of gravity is simpler in that all the forces have to go through one main structural member, and maybe that improves stability. Who knows, but I'm sure there will be a good reason. 

Like you, I assume there is a good reason  - hope someone can explain.

When there is one point of contact/joining of any structure(s), to take all the potential loads,  it is usually massive. Several points of contact normally allows for a stiffer lighter structure.

For what it's worth, I guess this is not some passenger transport in the air 20 hours a day for years.  They'd be using it maybe once every couple of months, on a day with near-perfect conditions and staying well away from any turbulence.  There'd be no RPT-style fast climb after takeoff.  Basically it would be babied so that airframe stresses SHOULD be kept to a minimum.

Yeah! BUT They have gone to a lot of trouble to design this monster- why not join the tail? - there must be a reason ??????

It may be the same reason as on the Transavia airtruk, loading