Do ou have a turbulance technique??

motzartmerv

It was funny - I am in the middle of entering all the new publications into the new shop and the last one I entered just before reading this post was a book called Turbulence - A great book for all pilots to learn about Turbulence

4062_pg_size.jpg

Indeed Ian. And don't forget, seatbelt low and tight to avoid your bum leaving the seat.

ooohhh...that happened to me going up to natfly 2 years ago - first time my father had gone for a fly in a light aircraft as well - we were flying along at about 4,000ft, clear blue sky, a bit warm and no wind. Just going along merrily when all of a sudden BANG...everything in the cockpit hit the roof...pens, pencils, my peppermints, flight plan, the ersa...everything, and if we were not strapped in tight we would have broken our necks with the force we would have hit the roof with. Scared the living ... out of me - I looked over at my father and smiled and just said a minor bit of turbulence dad...then turned my head forward but my eyes went down just to make sure there wasn't a wet patch in my pants :big_grin:

Thanks Potoroo for the advice re critical speeds, will study the Handbook. And Ian for the book reference. I had another cladssic referred to me and will also seek to purchase that, 'Stick & Rudder'.

Ian, any news on why I can't seem to get a photo onto my profile please?

Regards to all

Rob

Ian, any news on why I can't seem to get a photo onto my profile please?

Rob, just tried ringing you to help but could only leave a message.

If you like you could email me the image to admin at recreational flying com au and I will upload it for you.

Guest pelorus32

On Saturday I ferried someone from Shepp to Yarrawonga, in the Tecnam, to pick up an aircraft. A very hot day and moderately bumpy - nothing out of the ordinary.

As I taxied to the south end of 01 to begin the return trip there was a huge willy willy just over the fence from the runway end. I decided I'd "hold short for the previous departure" stopping a couple of hundred metres away until the monster was gone.

As I got airborne and started to climb I could see willy willies everywhere punching dust hundreds of feet into the air. In the short time on the ground the day had really developed - no Cu or anything just lots of thermal activity.

After 10 minutes or so I flew straight into a really solid bit of turbulence, closed the throttle to knock the speed back, held a little back pressure to keep her level as the speed fell and then found myself climbing at 1800 fpm for a sustained period with the throttle closed! I had the old glider pilot's urge to crack her around and centre on the thermal. Then I flew out the other side. the whole exercise contributed 1200 feet of altitude.

What I want to know is where were the gliders?

Regards

Mike

I spend a fair bit of time getting thrashed around in the drifter, light plane and plenty of freshly plowed paddocks where I fly. I have often found the only way to maintain an altitude is to use throttle. Just as I feel an 'up' through the seat I will ease back 200-300RPM and then wait for it to stop. Once it stops I am waiting for the down draft so ease the power back on. This seems to work in the drifter. That is until I get stuck in a big one like the other day and have to cut power to idle just to get down to the circuit!:)

• 2 weeks later...

IanR had the best comment I think, just let it go... Or you could fly an Aerostar, she just powers through it, bang bang bang no floating around in the PA60, actually it's a lot like driving over a bunch of speed humps at speed, I hated flying stuff like Warriors etc that seem to get caught and float around for ages....