Auto Landing

cherk

......had a "jolly" to/from Antarctica last Sunday in a B747-400 (beautiful waggily wings) , on return to YMML the touch was imperceptable ....a real greaser on 16. The pax were so impressed (or was it nervous release ?), Clapping all-round like a "mexican wave".......Cap'n announces (with thanks) that it was fully auto landing once the GS was fixed...including brakes..bl**dy impressive stuff.........

Autolands don't particularly aim for "squeakers". The logic of it is not aimed at them. The large number of wheels on the '74 helps and if there is a bit of moisture on the strip that helps too . In passing, you don't try for real good landings on a wet runway as you can revert the rubber on the tyres and they sometimes roll BACKWARDS, at first. This can take a lot of rubber off. so a more positive arrival is best. The actual landing on the plane is one fairly small aspect of the whole flight but the one part everyone notices . . Nev

Announcement on aircraft flying to Antarctica:-

Good morning ladies and gentlemen and welcome to our flight to Antarctica. There is no pilot on this aircraft so we will be flying on full automatic. This is the latest technology and there is absolutely no need for concern as nothing can go wrong...can go wrong...can go wrong...can go wrong:yikes:.

Alan.

Yeah there is something mildly encouraging knowing that if you go down the pilot is with you it would really suck if you went down and the pilot was sitting at a desk in suburbia, ill go out on a limb and say I won't be on the first trial run:no:

Who's going to volunteer for a ride on the first ones. Nev

I seem to remember a similar sort of comment when the first woman pilot commenced with Ansett...her passengers survived and she is still flying RPT while Ansett is sadly long gone.

Kaz.

I seem to remember a similar sort of comment when the first woman pilot commenced with Ansett...her passengers survived and she is still flying RPT while Ansett is sadly long gone.Kaz.

Not like she had to reverse park it.

I have a mate who flies heavy metal for one of the big ones and also has a very pretty Auster.

I watched him arrive at a fly-in one day. It was a bit blustery and the Auster bounced after the first of several touchdowns.

Being an understanding fellow Auster Driver, I commented that I hoped the passengers didn't complain about such landings in his more usual machine.

His response was short: 'No auto land in the Auster!"

Kaz

That may be true, but the manual landing will normally be better. I certainly wouldn't trust autoland in the conditions I would be prepared to do a manual landing in.

He should have responded that" it takes years of practice to do a landing as bad as that". That is what someone knowledgeable said of a less than perfect landing I did in a C182 (of all things). I did sort of, have an excuse as there was a ditch dug across the strip and it wasn't easy to see late in the day, and I had to make sure I was past it to have the wheels on the deck. At the point I was sure of being past the ditch, I didn't have any spare strip left . Anyhow no excuses. I thought it was pretty funny actually. Nev

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah there is something mildly encouraging knowing that if you go down the pilot is with you it would really suck if you went down and the pilot was sitting at a desk in suburbia, ill go out on a limb and say I won't be on the first trial run:no:

yep if im goin in i want to b able to run up the front kick a door in smack him or her on the back of the head and say"thanks alot prick"