Just joined in the fun

Maxy

Hi to those who bother reading newby postings!

I'm a past glider and hang glider pilot, but have up-graded to RPC so I can share the fun with family and friends. I've just been awarded my RPC and found this site when searching for little-known airfields as I commence study for my nav qual soon.

Thanks for having me on board! Any tips as to how to fund this (expensive) hobby are welcome!

Cheers,

Maxy in Parkdale

P.s. I don't fly at Moorabbin, even though it's closest. Too exy and too much activity going on! My regular airstrip is at YLIL, and I'm flying Jabirus - at least for now!

• Like 1

I'm a past glider and hang glider pilot, but have up-graded to RPC so I can share the fun with family and friends. I've just been awarded my RPC and found this site when searching for little-known airfields as I commence study for my nav qual soon.

Thanks for having me on board! Any tips as to how to fund this (expensive) hobby are welcome!

Cheers,

Maxy in Parkdale

P.s. I don't fly at Moorabbin, even though it's closest. Too exy and too much activity going on! My regular airstrip is at YLIL, and I'm flying Jabirus - at least for now!

Just enjoy it, don’t ever try to justify it. We only have one life that anyone has ever been able to prove, enjoy it to the fullest!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Maxy

Welcome aboard. There's lots to learn from this forum and associated website,  and some awesome experience to tap into. Congrats on your certificate

Alan

To fund flying is quite easy … Just don't spend your money on anything else. and that's easy as you don't HAVE any money for anything else. Nev

Ain’t that the truth!!!! (Rhetorical)

Cheers,

Maxy in Parkdale

Welcome to RF Maxy. . .  I can see that you already have some good oil from the denizens hereabouts !   

I used to fly into YLIL ( I'm assuming that is Lilydale . .  flying from Casey Airfield at Berwick,  ( Now long closed ) and then living in Mitcham. I am assuming that the site is the same one as in the mid 1970s,  please correct me if not.  It had one grass runway.  I had to make a precautionary there,  after the engine of the Cherokee Six 300 started barking and coughing.

There was a LAME there at the time, working on something else, and he kindly attended to the problem, it took 2 hours and was apparently a fuel flow problem.  He replaced some parts, filters I think, and ran the engine for what he considered was sufficient time to check that it was OK to fly.  Nice place, nice people. . .I had to disgorge my 4 Pax though, as the runway was JUST sufficient for a lightly loaded aircraft.  He flew with me back to Berwick, and the Manager shuttled my 4 pax there to !  Unbelievable hospitality from both men, and the only charge was for the work and parts. .  They even refused payment for the car fuel !

I hope that I've got the right airfield, Coz it was  long time ago.  

Good fortune with your flying mate.

Phil.