It appears that CASR Part 149 was repealed on 15th July. https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L01030 .

A check of the most recent compilation of CASR reveals that Part 149 is "reserved for future use".

What is going on? Have resources been wasted on this farce?

I think its basically a renaming by the look of it.  The whole instrument was called just Part 149 but it is repealled and it is now known as 

Part 149—Approved self‑administering aviation organisations

Thats sort of how I read it

The very irst part of te document it states that the original part 149...then it goes on to rename the instrument to the new one 

Part 149—Approved self‑administering aviation organisations

Its different wording of the titel

It appears that the paperwork has now caught up. The original regulation was repealed on 15 July by force of legislation. There was a complilation of the CASR on 14 July 2019 but it was not registered until 6 August which means that for 3 weeks there was technically no Part 149.

Maybe it has something to do with the SAAA refusing to become a Part149 ASAO.

https://www.australianflying.com.au/latest/sport-aircraft-association-out-of-part-149

SAAA are controlled by CASA, so what the report says is logical, and Part 149 would not apply to them.

I think it's more that the SAAA have always had the VH PPL and above licences as the basis of pilot standards  for their people and don't (and cannot afford) to do their own pilot training across the whole country Conversions on some  RARE types are a problem though. Note these are my observations and best attempt at explaining the situation. I am not a full member of SAAA. and don't claim to speak for them. Nev

That's the point  They choose to not be, but if CASA are wanting to quit the role, eventually SAAA will have to adjust or amalgamate. The country is too big and they are too small to spread their resources that thinly.. In this game you have to be able to actually achieve the things you  think you can manage, or have been forced to manage, and do them well or you have just made a big rod for your own back. and are bound to fail. Nev

SAAA are administered by CASA and have been for years and would be too small to self administer, given their narrow cross section of aircraft, and are not giving CASA any grief. Better to focus on the issues RAA faces.

As Turboplanner said correctly, SAAA are not (and never have been) a self administering sport aviation body (like RAAus, GFA etc), and so are not eligible to participate in Part 149.

SAAA did not refuse to be Part 149, we were always lead to believe we would be eligible (if we wanted it), we participated in CASA briefings and so forth, with other organisations there as well, then the rug was pulled out from under us at the last minute. Hence the notification to members that SAAA has concluded Part 149 considerations. We are not even eligible. No point wasting one more minute on it.

Good luck to the first organisation that jumps into the 149 bathtub from the seven meter platform. Many other groups will be watching and waiting to see how it goes.