Crashed Citation

The only Citation "crash" I can recall in Oz, was a forced landing on a firebreak East of Kalgoorlie in 1983. The reason was fuel exhaustion due to poor flight planning, and poor oversight of refuelling.

The word was at the time, there was a substantial number of underwear changes needed, due to the fact that the entire Board of North Broken Hill Pty Ltd was on-board.

It was certainly more good luck, than good management, that everyone survived, mostly due to flat terrain, and low scrub.

I'll wager the PIC got a right royal roasting immediately after everyone climbed out, and found the tanks as dry as the Sahara Desert.

I guess his next job was one commensurate with his abilities - "Do you want fries with that?"  :cheezy grin:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19831205-0

There have been a few vh-anq, vh-fsa

This one https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-114/

Is interesting, who would think partial brake would prevent rotation. 

• Like 1

Even the most expensive and modern jet isn't any use when there's no fuel in the tanks. IF you stay high (at cruise level) you can go a long way but once you start making approaches  or stooging around at low level, you burn fuel at a rapid rate. Nev

• Like 1

Its not hard to believe the pilots found it did not respond. They left it way too late to decide on go around. As Nev said, first bounce you hit the throttles, not after you have exhausted your safe options.

Jet engines do not respond instantly.

I think it was loose nuts at the controls, ie pilots stuffed the pooch.

From idle they may have some delay. With about 30% power on the  acceleration is usually quick.  Jets have thrust, and often not a lot of it ,not shaft horsepower to a propeller which gives more acceleration because the thrust is multiplied by the gearing and the large propeller moving more air mass.  Nev

• Informative 1

Its not hard to believe the pilots found it did not respond. They left it way too late to decide on go around. As Nev said, first bounce you hit the throttles, not after you have exhausted your safe options.

Jet engines do not respond instantly.

I think it was loose nuts at the controls, ie pilots stuffed the pooch.

While it's usual to blame the pilots, even though the buck stops there in every accident, something about this one doesn't add up.  Maybe they hesitated on the go-around, as suggested, and maybe the jet didn't respond as they said for some reason.  Without further evidence I'd be hesitant to arrive at any conclusions.

• Like 1