Federal Government to develop Regional Aviation Policy

mnewbery

What we need to understand is that politicians don't run Government - the Public Service does.

Sir Humphrey: Minister, the traditional allocation of executive responsibilities has always been so determined as to liberate the ministerial incumbent from the administrative minutiae by devolving the managerial functions to those whose experience and qualifications have better formed them for the performance of such humble offices, thereby releasing their political overlords for the more onerous duties and profound deliberations which are the inevitable concomitant of their exalted position.

• Winner 2

What we need to understand is that politicians don't run Government - the Public Service does.

Sir Humphrey: Minister, the traditional allocation of executive responsibilities has always been so determined as to liberate the ministerial incumbent from the administrative minutiae by devolving the managerial functions to those whose experience and qualifications have better formed them for the performance of such humble offices, thereby releasing their political overlords for the more onerous duties and profound deliberations which are the inevitable concomitant of their exalted position.

Bloody classic ?

• Like 1

Turbs, I really do appreciate your legal knowledge and have reluctantly come to see your point of view quite often, for example with the litigation stuff.

But I really am convinced that most crime, by far, is committed by governments. Of course they own the legislature and so can deem their crimes to be legal. 

Take tax as an example... if anybody else did it, it would be the criminal act of " demanding money with menaces ". Yes you can justify tax as a necessary evil, but what about waging war?

As a taxpayer, I reckon that I am funding most of the illegal drug lords via centerlink cash to addicts. Not to mention funding overseas armament lords...  gosh, 100 billion for useless submarines.

And what about destroying the planet? We are going to be failed by the very governments we "trust" to save us. 

Here's what is scary...  our government here in Australia is probably one of the better ones. Better than the British have for sure, I think they would have killed my grandfather for being one of those undisciplined Australian soldiers who mucked up their enjoyment of ww1.

Turbs, I really do appreciate your legal knowledge and have reluctantly come to see your point of view quite often, for example with the litigation stuff.

But I really am convinced that most crime, by far, is committed by governments. Of course they own the legislature and so can deem their crimes to be legal. 

Take tax as an example... if anybody else did it, it would be the criminal act of " demanding money with menaces ". Yes you can justify tax as a necessary evil, but what about waging war?

As a taxpayer, I reckon that I am funding most of the illegal drug lords via centerlink cash to addicts. Not to mention funding overseas armament lords...  gosh, 100 billion for useless submarines.

And what about destroying the planet? We are going to be failed by the very governments we "trust" to save us. 

Here's what is scary...  our government here in Australia is probably one of the better ones. Better than the British have for sure, I think they would have killed my grandfather for being one of those undisciplined Australian soldiers who mucked up their enjoyment of ww1.

There used to be a saying "I wouldn't be dead for quids; but of course the people who said that all are.

Having studied Sociology, it's fascinating to see that an invitation from a Senator to provide grass roots information to "get it right" in a Bipartisan Committee which will eventually analyse and provide what they were told to the Government, Opposition, minor parties and independents, could result in.

• Virtually no comments about your Association not participating on this forum to canvas all the thoughts you might have to improve Recreational Aviation; in fact one person even thinking he was in GA.

• No comments that this process was bypassing CASA and going straight to the horse's mouth - you.

• A string of comments criticising the body issuing the invitation to RA to come up with a wish list of improvements.

As far as your comments on the government are concerned I agree with most of what you said, and I know at least three people who left the country in disgust to go another country they'd decided was  good. They all left those countries and went to other countries and some of them have been doing this for 30 years; it doesn't pay to get too close to the black hole and look over the edge or you'll get depressed, but out of it all we are the 13th biggest economy in the world even though we're only the 55th biggest in population, so we're smarter and better off than most.

Have to agree with you there turbo!  Especially if they're on the receiving or extorting end of Govt largesse.   Just judging by a person's attitude to Govt, it's pretty easy to tell which side they're on, isn't it?

The biggest mistake in regional Aviation policy was Malcolm Fraser's decision to hand Commonwealth owned aerodromes to local councils, thus destroying a part of the national transport network. Of course this was but one of many, many bad to disastrous decisions made by him.

Leasing the major airports to large overseas corporations was another extremely bad government decision. You might not want public servants running them but you could just ask for tenders to run them according to reasonable rules. Finding public serants to write the agreements might be problematic. See Queensland Health  computer pay system. We're coming close to "Failed State" status.

The biggest mistake in regional Aviation policy was Malcolm Fraser's decision to hand Commonwealth owned aerodromes to local councils

...not even close to the biggest. The contracts were well written but not well enforced. 

Federal airports corporation arranged management of individual aerodromes under multiple ALOP deeds of contract. Then FAC disappeared. So who was left to monitor that the contracts were adhered to? 

Archerfield and Essendon are prime examples. Camden and Bankstown I know nothing about but I'm guessing some of the shenanigans are against many clauses of the original deeds.

Have a read of this document as just one example

https://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/234158/sub081-airports.pdf