Federal Government to develop Regional Aviation Policy

mnewbery

All about airlines, state and local government - nothing about GA (which includes RAAus aircraft). The people in Canberra dreaming up this shit probably don't know about the importance of GA - especially private GA - in the regions.

I struggled a bit to identify why this story gave me such a is visceral reaction. Then I realised the policy didn't already exist and that is what got to me. Ahh, the smell of vested interests!

Have a read of what I've put in this post. 

You can bet your bottom dollar that submissions to the government policy will only be accepted from big business. It's all about the "travelling public", nothing to assist the grass roots segment of aviation.

• Like 1

We are seeing how having some bureaucrats  responsible for safety but having no responsibility for affordability  will end up killing off the business. I am on the side of Rex here.  

But something  similar thing is happening with old folks nursing homes, where they are understaffed as far as inmate welfare is concerned but they can't run at a profit if they employ lots more staff. There is at least one saying they are going to shut down.

Here I find myself on the side of the inmates, and I reckon those places should operate with lots of volunteer work by visiting family members. Maybe the regional airports could do something similar.

LOL, you want bureacrats responsible for affordability? I can just seee the newly set up  CAAA (Civil Aviation Affordability Authority), with a staff of 800, 600 of which are permanently rotating around the world on study tours at taxpayer expense, 190 who are away at retreats debating the best methods of ensuring affordability, 8 who are flat out typing reasons why the 790 should be fired, one paying an endless stream of expenses and one who phones you up (because we rang the hot line and nominated you as the person who is driving us nuts about affordability), and he rings up and asks if you would mind him tacking on or a week noting your activities in order to make your flying more affordable, and then arrives with a CASA FoI for technical support, and they walk around Gawler and find heaps of things that could not only make flying more affordable, but safer too, and........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

CAAA. Put Jackie Tad in charge. She is Qld deputy premier. Has engaged Price Waterhouse Coopers as consultants to reduce the cost of consultants to the Qld government. It is already way over budget.

We should get the Qld government to run CASA as we would never have any problems with CASA that way, they would be so badly run that they wouldn't function.

Surely RAAus will be making a submission?

Well the Minister has specifically included Recreational aviation so you would hope so.

The key question is what would be submitted and how relevant that would be to all the facets of RA.

Well the Minister has specifically included Recreational aviation so you would hope so.

The key question is what would be submitted and how relevant that would be to all the facets of RA.

Sorry, it wasn't the Minister, it was Rural & Regional Affairs and Transport Chair, Senator Susan McDonald, and this is the applicable paragraph:

• Opportunities for further investment in regional aviation activities including new technologies, recreational aviation, pilot training and agriculture-related aerial work.

A lot of RAA pilots on this forum are from Rural areas, and one of the big issues I see is the difficulty of getting good training  in the theory subjects like Performance & operations, Navigation which is increasingly critical as the type of aircraft has become more suitable for medium cross-country. One thing which I think would help is a subsidy to attend training classes of up to 20 people. This environment makes learning much easier because there's always someone asking questions, and there's no doubt about what training is required now.

Assistance with networking of professional service facilities would help a lot of people.

And so on.

The announcement was last week so you're a week behind the ball; action is needed by RAA and its members.

• Like 2

There is plenty of training information available, you just have to look for it. When I learnt to fly there was no local school with theory training. I learnt with The "College of civil Aviation" which was a correspondence course. I have no idea if it or anything similar still runs, but there are plenty of correspondence or internet courses available. I was working near a small Qld town when I started to fly and the instructor would come in from Mackay to give me a practical lesson, there was never any thought of theory from the instructor. Not offered nor even expected.  

While I understand the argument about being able to navigate the old way, the gps stuff makes it so easy that I wonder how many could cope without it. You keep the little blue plane on the thick pink line and so straight there.

Regardless, I agree that the old stuff  should be known by pilots. 

My own priority would be maintenance hands-on training. A school would be great, a lot of the good stuff comes from the interactions  of all involved.

If I had my way, owners or club designated people would be able to sign out their own work after completing such a school.

"Regardless, I agree that the old stuff  should be known by pilots. "

I  don't know of anyone (younger than me), that Has or could use a bubble sextant.

So the old shooting the moon, while flying a single seat aircraft would be hazardous.

spacesailor

• Haha 1

While I understand the argument about being able to navigate the old way, the gps stuff makes it so easy that I wonder how many could cope without it. You keep the little blue plane on the thick pink line and so straight there.

Regardless, I agree that the old stuff  should be known by pilots. 

My own priority would be maintenance hands-on training. A school would be great, a lot of the good stuff comes from the interactions  of all involved.

If I had my way, owners or club designated people would be able to sign out their own work after completing such a school.

There's nothing wrong with using a gps and ozrunways, but the theory required to use CASA airspace goes a long way beyond that, however the method of study is the person's own choice.

If the man from Govt says I'm here to help you, you know you're about to be screwed.  

I'll give some examples that is a reason to abandon a fantastic opportunity offered by Govt.  Just one should do.  It's offered by Govt.  

If the man from Govt says I'm here to help you, you know you're about to be screwed.  

I'll give some examples that is a reason to abandon a fantastic opportunity offered by Govt.  Just one should do.  It's offered by Govt.  

Well with that public statement, I couldn’t see the advisors and assistants too worried about leaving RA out. So you can be happy.

Well with that public statement, I couldn’t see the advisors and assistants too worried about leaving RA out. So you can be happy.

Thanks turbo, I am happy.  Happy that I no longer live in a fantasy world of my own making.   Govt only exists by creating the illusion that only they can fix the problems that they actually created in the first place, and once enough of us get that through our thick skulls, we really do have a chance to live free of delusion and the many associated dramas that come along with flawed thinking.  As Ronald Reagan famously said, "Government isn't the solution, it's the problem."

• Like 1

turbo, you can assume whatever you like about me, but all you have to do is ask and I'd tell you the answer.  I've had enough experience with the people who make up Governments to know exactly what I'm talking about.   For example, I know enough to know that they wouldn't be averse to funding social media shills to promote the Govt line and keep us tax slaves in line.