Cape Preston Airport

BirdDog

Clive is Australias answer to Donald Trump, or maybe it is the other way around. Don't they look alike in their behavour.

I would hate to try to work out which is the more intelligent.

• Like 1

[ATTACH]42302[/ATTACH]

I pulled the Divisional results for this year's Federal Election

Clive had enough primary votes to possibly sway the results in Bass and Chifley, and most of the other winnning margins were in the 20,000 + votes, so he'd have only been picking up scraps in preferences.

I'd say his influence on the election was close to nil.

He was bagging both of the major parties, I'd call his campaign Institutional Advertising, no real message, just Clive, Clive, Clive, Clive ad nauseum. He's a marketer so he's smart enough to know that wouldn't get any real political traction, but it would raise his profile.

In most seats his candidates received about 3000 votes, about what you and I would get if we nominated, then sat back and didn't campaign.

I don't know where his coal mine is, but if it's in Queensland it would think it would be a Labor government approving the permit.

I rather think the negativity of his campaign impacted Shorten’s chances by detracting from his vote; probably more than he positively assisted the LNP.

the Commonwealth’s Environment Department has to sign off projects of this magnitude.

• Agree 1

I rather think the negativity of his campaign impacted Shorten’s chances by detracting from his vote; probably more than he positively assisted the LNP.

Were you able to download the spreadsheet? That really told the story.

In 76% of the electorate (114 Divisions), UAP didn't get above 4000 votes; If you or I nominated and campaigned as unknowns, we could expect to get more than 4000, so strike 1 for influence.

If his negativity had worked we would have expected to see a fall away in Labor and Liberal support, an expansion of Greens and independents like Derrin Hinch, and some UAP candidates at the top end elected.

Out of the 151 Divisions, 68 (45%) were won by over 20,000 votes. In total 111 (74%) were won by over 10,000 votes.

That looks like a very solid return to two party roots to me

If you then split that by the major parties:

ALP won 46 Divisions by more than 10,000 votes (30%) of the 151 total

LNP won 58 Divisions by more than 10,000 votes (38%)

That's a  pretty impressive support for the two major parties, and the independents and Greens were almost wiped out.

From there  we have some leaks from factions within the parties as to who "won" or who "cost us" the election, but this time round I wouldn't make a guess at what happened, even if I could read the results of the Party washup meetings where they had all the data. There were quite a few Candidates sacked, including past pre-poll, where votes were wasted, and a lot of mistakes with electoral strategy, but I think most made their mind up about poor old Clive after the 50th interruption to their TV programme.

the Commonwealth’s Environment Department has to sign off projects of this magnitude.

It certainly does if a location is registered as a RAMSAR site, or anything else happens to trigger it as an EPBC site, but I hadn't heard of anything else.

As we know, nothing's impossible, but the EPBC Act was designed to stop the good old boys shooting all the leopard skinned parrots, or cosying up to Ministers, so I couldn't see his endless waffle influencing an EPBC Act decision.