America

fly_tornado

One HummelBird shot in the USA, hit the prop, landed informed the authorities and

The national guard, sheriffs department and federal police surrounded the Duck hunters, who gave up the culprit.

spacesailor

through the roof into the 182, the best guess is some one was carrying on another GA plane and has accidentally discharged

I thought that it WAS illegal in most circumstances to carry firearms in private light aircraft in peacetime,. . I seem to recall reading something about that when I were in Australia. . . and in wartime they're grounded in most countries. . . Yeah, I know that people shoot animals from aircraft / helos nowadays, but what kind of idiot carries a loaded weapon whilst overflying an airfield / place where aircraft are stored I wonder. . . .but as has been said,. . .that was in America. . .

.... but what kind of idiot carries a loaded weapon whilst overflying an airfield / place where aircraft are stored I wonder. . . .but as has been said,. . .that was in America. . .

You answered your own question Phil.

This is the country where, when my wife was working there, she asked a colleague why he bothered always carrying a concealed loaded handgun - even when walking the dog around the block.

His answer? "Because when I was a kid, I once had my lunch money stolen by bullies on the school bus."

Yes, seriously. You never know when you might need a Glock to blow away a pesky 12 year old.

Thanks Dutch. . . . I usually put 'Rhet' . . . .after that kind of embedded question. . . . JUst been on a site ( U.S.) which was discussing the exact same photograph combo . . . they were only interested in the 'Ballistics' ie,. . was it ground fired,. . was it Air fired ? . . . no one seemed to question the obvious.

A few months ago, the latter part of 2016, my second Cousin Greg had someone put three bullet holes into the back of his car whilst he was driving it on a highway in Michigan. He wasn't injured and didn't hear the impacts. ( small calibre he said. . .maybe .22 or something )

Wild Westology at it's best.

Many years ago I was working in Collinsville on a power station construction. A couple of blokes went to Townsville and on the way back a passing car put a 303 shot through their ute. In through the drivers window and out the passengers window. Left nice round holes.

The passenger was a deaf mute, nice bloke and when he got back to camp he was talking quite fluently.

Would that be shock therapy?

A friend was once bothered by a kid on a trail bike outside his back fence. He asked me whether a .22 bullet could set off a petrol tank explosion. When I asked why he said "because I'm going to take pot shots at the little b.... but I don't want to kill him".

I did a lot of work in the US a few years ago and it was an eye opener as far as gun culture was concerned:

- Bismarck ND: 16 year olds drive their "trucks" resplendent with gun racks and guns to school. Leave them outside.

- Philadelphia. . Conversation with a drunk nutter on first day goes like this:

He: "You and I are kindred spirit!"

Me: "How do you work that out"

He: "Your're Australian and I am American"

Me: "And that means?"

He: "We are both Irish"

Me: "No - I'm Australian and you're American"

He: "Yeah, but we both come from Ireland"

Me: "With my surname, how do you work that out".. and then trying to change the conversation, "So, how do you like working here?"

He: "It's going from bad to worse."

Me: "Really? Seems a nice place to work"

He: "Yeah, but they no longer let us carry our handguns in the office, so I have to leave it in the car"

Me: (after a stunned look and slight pause): "Er... you leave a gun the car.. What happens if it is broken into or stolen"?

He: "err... Have to get another gun, I surpose"

- When still working in Philly I stayed a weekend at a colleagues place in Delaware state. As he drove me back to the hotel in downtown Philly, his wife handed him an innocuous looking satchel, turned to me and said "I hope you don't mind." I asked her what it was and she said it was a handgun. I said I would rather not, when he turned to me and emphatically said, "I never go to Philly without one." My response is, "And you are leaving me there?!?"

- Later, on the evening that the assignment I was working on finished, another colleague and I went out for a few brews. He had a Mitsubishi somethingorother with a targa top. As we were stopped at an intersection on a fine summer evening at around dusk, so a little light about, he decided to shut the roof. "I suppose you don't want people spitting in here?" I asked. "Nope - that I can live with. The car-jacking could spoil our evening".

- Dallas TX (late 90s shortly after they started showing the TV show cops in Aus, and I was only a month or so out of Aus at the time), talking to a brutish looking policeman, I asked him if what was shown in Cops was real or was it somewhat dramatized and he confirmed it was pretty real; after which I mentioned that in Aus,when one is pulled over for a traffic violation, one gets out of the car to talk to police (or did then, anyway) to which he responded, "Well, when you have law makers that TODAY enacted a law allowing concealed handguns in shopping centres, you know what we're working against!" So I asked him if he was supportive of gun control; emphatic yes.

I am a member of the Vintage Bonanzas facebook group. They've been running a feature where members upload photos of their V Tails like the one below. Dozen of 'em.

[ATTACH=full]48913[/ATTACH]

Edit: Oops. Didn't realise I'd swapped threads. this should have been in PLANE PICS.

No Sweat . . .it's an American 'Plane' innit ?

As an Aussie citizen, my experience with the Aussie immigration officials is not much better... Heartless rectal doughnuts they were... and that was to my then 3yr old Aussie citizen son. It's the reason I am still here... The cool, reasoned approach they show on Nothing to Declare is not always how it goes...