Honest posting versus secretive and corresponding impact on learning/ safety.

I can only assume that we are talking about the same thing, but frequently we aren't.

I am talking about people not recording minor defects on the MR, because it's too easy for someone with absolutely no idea to ground the aircraft unnecessarily because they don't understand what they are looking at.

I'm not suggesting that people should't record minor defects, but that the system that it works under is overly complicated.

These lot even wrote a story about it

https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2020/02/the-biggest-myth-in-general-aviation/

However, you will notice that the author refers to multiple publications....all just to figure out whether you're allowed to fly it with a minor defect.

People will use a simple system, the more complex, the more it will be avoided.

I can only assume that we are talking about the same thing, but frequently we aren't.

I am talking about people not recording minor defects on the MR, because it's too easy for someone with absolutely no idea to ground the aircraft unnecessarily because they don't understand what they are looking at.

I'm not suggesting that people should't record minor defects, but that the system that it works under is overly complicated.

These lot even wrote a story about it

https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2020/02/the-biggest-myth-in-general-aviation/

However, you will notice that the author refers to multiple publications....all just to figure out whether you're allowed to fly it with a minor defect.

People will use a simple system, the more complex, the more it will be avoided.

We are talking about the same system. If it's all too hard on all these different aspects of flying, maybe its best to move to something less challenging than aviation.

We are talking about the same system. If it's all too hard on all these different aspects of flying, maybe its best to move to something less challenging than aviation.

Part of the problem is interpretation. Regs are so poorly written that they are often interpreted differently by different people. This is what leads to problems.

I have problems all the time with people who can't understand basic english, and this becomes much worse when documents that need to be understood by Joe Public are written in legalese.

Other countries can do it, surely we could at least try to simplify. It doesn't need to as complicated as it is.

• Like 1

EASA CANNOT DO IT. The regs are so poorly written and change at such pace, contradictory, etc, that even instructors and EASA itself can't always work them out. When asked what a speciic provision meant, the response was, just comply with the spirit of the regulation... How can you operate like that???

EASA CANNOT DO IT. The regs are so poorly written and change at such pace, contradictory, etc, that even instructors and EASA itself can't always work them out. When asked what a speciic provision meant, the response was, just comply with the spirit of the regulation... How can you operate like that???

specific = "defined"?

provision = (from Latin) "attend to"?

However, simple Chirchillian English means less mistakes.

Those complicated words are often used in documents through thoughtlessness, and authorities will frequently change them if you make them aware of the confusion, albeit in some cases they have to wait for a Parliamentary approved amendment.

I've succeed, just by sending an email with an explanation, in having wording changed by Department of Transport, and Vicroads, and also getting DoT to post their regulations online as live documents, so when you were looking up a regulation it would be the latest version (prior to that you had to keep buying books and were never too sure which was the latest.

Specific: "Clearly identified or defined".. I think we are in agreement there, squire..

Hmm Provision.. Your meaning is the verb; of which it may or may not be.. actually, provision in common parlance as a very beans to provide with or some such meaning (e.g. "He has been provisioned with the basic necessities to see him through the isolatsion period, including copious quantities of dunny roll").

My Blacks Law Dictionary is in one of our unopened boxes since we have moved, but a quick internet search provided this: What is SUNSET PROVISION? definition of SUNSET PROVISION (Black's Law Dictionary)

It is a privision [or condition] of law that provides an expiry date or event. Now, for it to be a privision, it has to be legally referenceable - i.e. in a legal instrument of some order such as an act of parliament, delegated legislation, or in the case of EU law, a national competent authority (in the case oif aviation for the UK, the CAA) legal instrument giving local legal effect to the EU law. The point I am making is that provision a generic term in law (when referencing statutory or delegated instruments) that is those statutory or delegated instruments.

As you and I both know, quite often legal definitions of terms are not the same as common or derived parlance.

Happy to discuss

BTW - Congrats on getting Vic government departments to correct things and do the right thing - from experience, that is not eaasy unless you're on the inside..

The point I am making is that provision a generic term in law (when referencing statutory or delegated instruments) that is those statutory or delegated instruments.

As you and I both know, quite often legal definitions of terms are not the same as common or derived parlance.

Where there is that variance, the meaning can be added into the Bill in the definitions section. The problem is aout 99% of us aren't interested enough to take part in the public consulation phase of an Act, or the Bill phase, where we can write to our politicians and have them make the clarification and once the Act is gazetted the train has left the station. It helps enormously if you're in an Association which actively watches for industry changes.

BTW - Congrats on getting Vic government departments to correct things and do the right thing - from experience, that is not eaasy unless you're on the inside..

One one, I wasn't on the inside, but found out quite late that an Australian Design Rule for truck braking was going to require trailers to be fitted with park brakes to be able to restrain the combination of towing vehicle and trailer on a 20% grade (which is very steep) at full GCM. This was quite logical for a semi trailer, but I was designing all sorts of odd trailers where it would have been impossible to comply with. The one which I remember was three axle touring coaches weighing around 21 tonnes which towed a small tent/lunch trailer weighing around 2 tonnes. I wrote directly to the Minister for Transport with such a lurid list of combinations that part of my letter became part of the new Australian Design Rule. Mostly the Bills aren't that bad that you could do that and get action.

I was never inside, but probably loosely known, so with some advantage, but I found some Departmental staff to be more receptive than others, and often, if the email was non-critical and they didn't have to defend their turf, they acquiesced. After one of my NSW customers was repeatedly fined when their trucks delivered into Victoria for not having the name and address painted on the driver's door (not a requirement in NSW), I wrote to Vicroads pointing out that Vicroads and Police had more accurate information on the owner on their number plate database, so we should abolish the practice in Victoria, his fines were cancelled and I received a letter six months later so say that an amendment would be going through the Parliament to abolish the practice.

I would always encourage people, if they are having difficulty with something, or if something is obviously wrong, to write to the relevant Department. If they don't know, they think everything is OK.