K-Max

red750

I love helicopters and have flown in all sorts from the Hughes 269 to the Sikorsky S-61N which flew the Brampton Island service, but I don't know about the intermeshing rotors of the K-Max. I know they are very successful, but there's just something about them.

They are permanently geared so the blades are phased. ALL single rotor heli's go sideways if you prefer that.. They are all Heath Robinson devices if you think about it and have very limited forward speeds and the blades flex alarmingly as their airspeed varies. They do a job but generally require high levels of maintenance. Nev

I love helicopters and have flown in all sorts from the Hughes 269 to the Sikorsky S-61N which flew the Brampton Island service, but I don't know about the intermeshing rotors of the K-Max. I know they are very successful, but there's just something about them.

Is it a double-head chopper OR a double head-chopper?:yikes:

• Haha 2

It would be a meat mincer if those blades ever connected.

I always had a hankering to at least have a TIF in a chopper, but never got the chance (had the money).

A lot has to go wrong before they do.. There's NO tail rotor drive to fail requiring instant autorotate action. You are only going DOWN once that happens even if the motor's fine. Nev

Saw some flying at Jindabyne ages ago on fires. Very strange to see them operating. Big machine. Wooden blades that flex with servo tabs for control. Vague memory they had a 5000 L bucket, if they worked with that they would average more than the Cranes we have here in the summer.