Another newbie

TimH

Hi Everyone.

New here and new to aviation. I have always been interested in becoming a pilot but life has always got in the way. That is until now and I have decided to make it happen.

This year i was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer the day before my 40th birthday and that has made me look at things a little different. It’s been a crap year with 2 operations so far and a month in hospital but I am alive and going to make the most of it.

I look forward to learning from here and the input from everyone.

And I will finish off with if you have any symptoms or changes please get checked. Don’t be like me and leave it a year or more before seeing the doctor.

• Like 1

Hi Tim and Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your health problems, I trust you come out of it in satisfactory shape. What are the symptoms or changes you have to look out for?

I guess I'm fortunate in that no-one in my family or any of my ancestry ever had bowel cancer - I believe that predisposes you to the disease. The Govt is doing free bowel cancer testing for retired people, they send me a kit every couple of years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome onetrack. I have so far come out of it okay but I do have a colostomy bag for the rest of my life, but I am okay with that. The good news is I don’t have to dig holes to have a crap when I go camping.

My symptoms were some blood and sudden urges to go to the toilet but can’t actually go. That would happen around 15 times a day. I put it down to haemorrhoids for so long. I also don’t have anyone in my family that has had bowel cancer, but it has to start somewhere.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum. I'm another cancer survivor - had my bladder and prostate removed over six years ago. I wear a urostomy pouch for peeing. I was a GA pilot for 18 years, but that was over 30 years ago. As you say, life tends to get in the way. I hope you enjoy my aircraft profiles in the Showcase (see menu).

• Like 1

Thanks Red750. The more I open up to people the more I meet people with an ostomy. I hope you are going okay now. You have some great photos.

A good positive attitude like yours makes a big difference, you can get busy dying or get busy living, like they say...'don't let the bastards win'? Welcome to the world of always having your hand in yr pocket when it comes to aviating??

• Like 1

Thanks Flightrite and you are right with that saying and I won’t let the bastard win. From when I woke after my first op I have looked at things as my second chance and I will continue to look at it like that.

• Like 2