just joined

RFguy

On 19/01/2021 at 10:03 AM, Bosi72 said:

Welcome to Straya!

I've heard Amercan accent on 128.0 the other day.

Let me know when you're at the aerodrome and want to go for a spin.

Cheers

1. I've been flying Tooradin and Tyabb. Hope my accent is Strayan. Might have been a yank flying..In the states and particularly away from east or west coast I have to be understood by speaking with hard r's and full words where we generally clip them here. 

I've struggled a bit flying.  Seems the year away after an intense 6 months in the Cessna followed by ultralights in the Philippines with almost all rudder has brought some bad habits. Quite shocked to find the instructor telling me I'd made a few skidding turns in pattern. I'd say couldn't have happened in Cessna. Still, very grateful to be under instruction and corrected. I've found a great article in bold method on coordinated turns. Big topic of course and main new info I guess I should have already had is the skid turn has inside wing shielded by fuselage. Add that to the deadly mix and you're really screwed. I've  been flying different aircraft and will just settle in with Foxbat now at Tyabb and finish FAA to RAA covid interrupted conversion. Foxbat is similar to the Skyranger to fly so this makes sense prior to going to Inverell to pickup.

2. Current topic. I was flying paragliders in Taiwan and that certainly helps with understanding thermals. Cut grass for really good lift. At Tooradin we also  had massive lift over a fresh plowed sun baked black soil paddock. Almost impossible to descend.

1 hour ago, Mike Gearon said:

1. I've been flying Tooradin and Tyabb. Hope my accent is Strayan. Might have been a yank flying..In the states and particularly away from east or west coast I have to be understood by speaking with hard r's and full words where we generally clip them here. 

I've struggled a bit flying.  Seems the year away after an intense 6 months in the Cessna followed by ultralights in the Philippines with almost all rudder has brought some bad habits. Quite shocked to find the instructor telling me I'd made a few skidding turns in pattern. I'd say couldn't have happened in Cessna. Still, very grateful to be under instruction and corrected. I've found a great article in bold method on coordinated turns. Big topic of course and main new info I guess I should have already had is the skid turn has inside wing shielded by fuselage. Add that to the deadly mix and you're really screwed. I've  been flying different aircraft and will just settle in with Foxbat now at Tyabb and finish FAA to RAA covid interrupted conversion. Foxbat is similar to the Skyranger to fly so this makes sense prior to going to Inverell to pickup.

2. Current topic. I was flying paragliders in Taiwan and that certainly helps with understanding thermals. Cut grass for really good lift. At Tooradin we also  had massive lift over a fresh plowed sun baked black soil paddock. Almost impossible to descend.

Hey Mike, then it must be you flying with Jason the other day, we met at the fuel bowser. 

No worries about the accent, me too is Jimmy Grant so my accent is not "pure" either 🙂

With regards to skids vs. slips, I found this video very helpful.

When I turn base to final, in addition to ASI  I also glimpse at the ball and don't turn below my aircraft safety speed Vs1 x 1.404.

You'll be good, just keep flying.

Have fun! Cheers

7 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

Hey Mike, then it must be you flying with Jason the other day, we met at the fuel bowser. 

No worries about the accent, me too is Jimmy Grant so my accent is not "pure" either 🙂

With regards to skids vs. slips, I found this video very helpful.

When I turn base to final, in addition to ASI  I also glimpse at the ball and don't turn below my aircraft safety speed Vs1 x 1.404.

You'll be good, just keep flying.

Have fun! Cheers

Cool. Nice meeting you as well. Glad we've made the connection and joined the dots 🙂 Will look forward to flying with you at some stage.

• 6 months later...

family made a cake for my 1 year anniversary since I began to learn to fly.....(28 aug 2020)

I actually suggested a scale model airplane CAKE, and a high wing.

Still, got chocolate cake...

image.png.001407be7edc5bec01703a9b6ea7befb.png

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 5

Thanks Stuart,  yes your post led me to the  great circle of friends in the central west that I now have, cheers. 

I will save some cake for you, might have to freeze it.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1