Refreshing my skills

I want to get current again.  5years since last flight.  Decided to do it first in an RA.

I live in northern Sydney.  Who, where and what is the best place to do some TA flying?

• Like 2

It is a bit of a drive to Cowra aero club but no stress once you are here. Our CFI Rob is very experienced and a great instructor. Glen, RFguy will vouch for that.  

Cowra is a bit far west, and Taree is a hell of a long way north. Warnervale is a lot closer, but I don't know what it offers in regard to training.

Hi Geoff H

I learned in Cowra last year with Cowra Aero Club and Rob Glenn CFI, some 50 years flying experience all over.

While it is a few hours from Sydney, I would suggest staying for 2 or 3 days at a time- two nights. You can get a hotel for $80 a night. You could bunk in  the clubhouse if you wanted...

The club  plane is $125/hour wet and it is a good solid metal Brumby plane with a Rotax.  

That is very good value. It's run on a cost recovery basic by the club, not for profit.

I have some 80 hours in that aircraft.  If there's any issue, the aviation maintenance facility LVA is right there .

It's not a flying school, so is structured to you and the availability of you and your instructor, so you can get great flexibility. Rob is an 19,000 hour experienced bush and city pilot and will appreciate any prior knowledge you have and respect it.  

Cowra (is great because worth case you might need to wait 3 minutes to get on the runway, and they are no RPT around. Just the mail plane at 7am. 

No landing or parking fees.

Cross runways mean plenty of choices for windy days . That the place isnt windy at all , and the region is flat earth all around.

There's also a fair chunk of activity. busy . people etc.

anyway, my $2 worth. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1